Taxis vs rental cars in Bay of Islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be staying in Paihia from February 1-4, 2020. I have been told that taxis are quite expensive to get around. We're contemplating renting a car for either part of the time or the whole time. I can't even get in touch with any taxi company as they only have phone numbers and no email or websites. For example, does anyone know approximately how much it might cost for us to get from Kerikeri River walking track to Paihia? It is about a 20 - 25 minute drive. I was also told that taxis charge by the person as well. Please help with any info you might have!
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 09:47 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I personally can't imagine visiting anywhere in NZ without a car.

Having said that, I did a bit of online research looking for a shuttle that might suit your purpose (sometimes shuttle services offer track drop off and collection), but I was unable to find one specific to your needs.

I suggest you give the Paihia I-Site a call or send them a note to see if they have any suggestions.

https://www.northlandnz.com/
Old Nov 23rd, 2019, 10:40 PM

I've been to the Bay of Islands only a couple of times. The first time we drove up from Auckland and the second time we caught a flight up to Kerikeri airport and rented a car from there for 5 nights or so. I suggest you rent a car so you can visit surrounding areas. Are you flying up to Paihia or taking the bus up?

I had a couple of elderly friends who visited Bay of Islands without a car, but they stuck to Paihia and Russell.

Last edited by Diamantina; Nov 23rd, 2019 at 10:56 PM.
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. We have now booked a rental car for our time in Bay of Islands! We are also driving it to Auckland. We are returning the car for our few days there and then renting again for our trip south. Thanks for the feedback
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 02:47 PM

Will you be staying in Auckland before heading up to the Bay of Islands? Or connecting directly after arrival in the country?
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

We are flying straight to Bay of Islands from Auckland. We are staying in Auckland for 4 days when we drive back.
Old Nov 27th, 2019, 10:09 PM

If you be arriving into Auckland after a long international flight and/or not used to driving on the left, please take great care when driving from Kerikeri Airport to Paihia. It's only a 20 minute drive but a little curvy. After a long international flight, then passing through immigration and customs, then making your way to the domestic terminal (free bus or 10-minute walk), then catching a short domestic flight, you could feel tired, jetlagged or disoriented.

I'm glad you've figured out a way to explore the Bay of Islands! Have fun and stay safe!