Travelodge Sydney and Novotel Palm Cove

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm considering staying at the Travelodge Sydney on Wentworth and at the Novotel Palm Cove. Has anyone stayed at these properties? or have comments or thoughts about these particular locations?
Old Aug 2nd, 2003, 06:11 PM

Laura - we just spent 4 great nights at the Novotel at Palm Cove and it was great. We were so thankful we stayed here and not in Cairns. Each small group of rooms has it's own good size pool. We walked over and had dinner in Palm Cove -- right along the ocean -- it has many good restaurants. All tour operators and the bus pickup at the Palm Cove Novotel. The Novotel also has courtesy pick up and drop off at the airport. Our room had a little kitchenite -- so we ate breakfeast in and had PB&J for lunchs to save expense for dinner. As for the Travelodge -- the people we met while on our travels were very happy with the Travelodge. However, we stayed at the Ibis in Darling Harbor and while I think the Ibis is the least fancy of the hotels we stayed -- the Location was great. Darling Harbor is so much fun -- you can take the ferries down to the center of the city -- shop day and night -- concerts and fireworks on Sat night. Walk over and tour the Aquarium at night after dinner when the crowds are gone.

We picked up a tour next door at the Novotel in Darling Harbor and I would consider staying there if and when I go back. I hope you enjoy your stay as much as my daughter and I did.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 04:53 PM
LN

Hi

It great that you're going to Oz and the barrier reef. When we were in Sydney we stayed at Quay West so I have no knowledge of the Travelodge. If you do stay there please post and let us know how you like it.

We did stay at the Novotel Palm Cove and found it to be great! The suites were large (as the above poster said) and we had some good meals there. The tour boat came and picked us up there too. One thing though - when I do get back I think I'll try to stay in Port Douglas - there's a lot more going on there and Palm Cove was very quiet.

Palm Cove does have a beautiful golf course winding its way through the property.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 05:42 PM

I stayed at the Travelodge 2 years ago. It was very nice, esp. for the price. It was a basic accommodation but very clean and in a good, central location. Can't beat this value.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 09:07 PM

Just a note for information - note there are two Travelodges in Sydney - one on Wentworth Avenue, which is close to Central Railway and the Chinatown end of town - and the other in Phillip Street right in the centre of the CBD.
Old Aug 3rd, 2003, 09:55 PM

I stayed at the Travelodge on Wentworth several months ago. It is a large, 400-room hotel off Oxford Street, about a block from Hyde Park. The hotel is not fancy, but it is clean and comfortable.

Each room has a kitchenette with microwave, mini-fridge, and sink with dishes and cutlery. There are also washer and dryers on several floors, which is a nice convenience.

Bondi Beach is only about a 15-minute bus ride away, (be sure to take Bondi Beach and not Bondi Junction). There are several cafes, boutiques,and a couple of grocery stores within easy walking distance. Circular Quay is about a 20-25 minute walk away, or you can take the bus or train. The closest rail stop, Museum, is only a couple of blocks away.

Out of curiosity, I walked over to the other Travelodge on Phillips Street. It is a smaller hotel on the opposite end of Hyde Park as the Travelodge Wentworth. It is more in the center of the CBD than the one on Wentworth, but on a quiet street a few doors down from the Law Courts, near Hyde Park Barracks and close to Centrepoint Tower.

I got my room for $91AUD on needitnow.com.au (about $54 US). You can also get discounted rooms for this hotel at wotif.com. All in all, I thought it was a good value for the money.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 04:21 AM

Just to clarify, I stayed at the Travelodge on Wentworth. For 54US it's the best bargain I've seen in a long time. Make sure you plan for several days in Sydney. I"m here visiting at the moment from the US and it's the best place in the world!!!!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 06:11 AM
LN

That's gREAT news Abby43!! We're planning on returning next year and I'm adding the Travelodge/Wentworth to my planning book.

Sydney is such a great city!! Please post your report when you return.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Based on some of these comments we decided to go with the Travelodge Wentworth for Sydney, thanks for the responses. I realize the lower price is likely due to the location, but I'm okay with that. Now I'm trying to decide between Novotel Palm Cove and the Radisson Treetops or Rydges Reef Resort in Port Douglas. So many decisions, but fun ones!