Travel time Sydney Pier to Airport

Old Oct 14th, 2003, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel time Sydney Pier to Airport

Has anyone gone from the cruise ship pier (at Darling Harbor, Sydney) directly to the Sydney airport for a flight to Ayers Rock? We're concerned that arriving at 6 a.m., clearing customs, and disembarking will not allow us enough time to make a 9:15 flight.
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 08:55 PM

Hi, paintingqueen!
I'd be concerned, too, not because of the travelling time to the airport, but because my experience with cruise ships is that a 6 a.m. arrival can mean anything from 4 a.m. to 4 p.m.!

I have no idea how long it is likely to take you to clear customs, but certainly I would be speaking to the purser on the ship about your special needs so that you will be literally first off the ship. When that happy time arrives, walk straight to the railway station about 200 metres from the exit -- it's an overhead railway line, and you won't miss it, as there are trains running though every minute or so. You should ask the ticket office there whether you can catch a direct train or whether, for speed's sake, you need to change at Central (only three stops -- about seven minutes... and at that time of day you won't wait more than five minutes for a train.... both platforms take you to Central.)

From Central the journey is between ten and fifteen minutes, but Cityrail's boast that you will never have to wait for an airport train for more than ten minutes doesn't always hold good, so be prepared for a half-hour in total, since changing platforms will take another couple of minutes.

I expect you will be asked to be at your flight a half-hour before departure.... in this case, I would want to be out of customs and heading for the railway station before 8 a.m., if I were you. I still feel, however, that this method would be better than a taxi, as you are travelling in peak hour, and the roads will provide many exciting experiences as your cab negotiates the traffic lights between Circular Quay and the airport. Good luck... but, personally, I think I'd be taking an afternoon flight and hanging around Sydney instead of rushing!
Old Oct 14th, 2003, 09:02 PM

Hi, again, paintingqueen!
My humble apologies, but will you please ignore ALL the directions I have given you above.... I didn't read your post properly until the second I hit the "send" button, and then I saw that you are landing at DARLING Harbour, not Sydney Harbour! Frankly, that makes your chances of getting there on time so much slimmer.... on a foggy morning, the ship may well have to go slow under the Bridge, past all the commuter ferries, meaning your on-time arrival is even more in jeopardy. And, I fear, the train to the airport is not for you. From down there at Darling Harbour, a taxi is the best way to go (my suggestion of a leisurely day in Sydney is still the best guarantee of a hassle-free day, however!).
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Hi Alan! Thanks for your response(s). We've decided to cancel our planned flight to Ayers Rock and spend lots more time in Sydney.
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 10:28 AM
LN

Oh you'll just enjoy your Sydney visit so very much!! You miay be able to take in a show at the Opera House too.