Question on Sydney Airport transfer

Mar 2nd, 2004, 04:35 PM
Original Poster

Question on Sydney Airport transfer

We are planning the last aspects of our Honeymoon. On the way back from Cairns we land in Sydney around 10 o'clock but our flight back to LA is not until 2:45 the next day.

Q. Should we stay near the airport (relax in the rather bland airport hotel) or stay in Sydney and have a nice breakfast prior to our long journey home.

We are leaning toward going into Sydney but does anyone else have any other thoughts?

QII. If you suggest the airport hotel. Which one do you suggest?
Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:09 PM

I'd definitely go into the city, which isn't far from the airport. If you book a hotel close to the Circular Quay/The Rocks end of town you can spend a pleasant morning strolling around and board your flight refreshed. Or if you could allow a couple of hours (i.e. start about 9:00 am) you could even catch the ferry from Circular Quay to Manly Beach and back, a nice (and cheap) way to see Sydney Harbour. The old ferries, which are a nicer way to travel, take about 30 mins, the Jetcats about 15m (from memory). There are plenty of threads on this board dealing with Sydney accommodations.

Mar 2nd, 2004, 05:36 PM

Another option is to get a taxi to Coogee Beach. Its abt 15 mins from the airport. The best 2 places to stay are the Crowne Plaza (overlooking the beach) or the Medina Apartments (a bit back from the beach). There are loads of restaurants and cafes. You could have a relaxing breakfast and swim and there is a great coastal walk towards Bondi.
Mar 3rd, 2004, 02:55 AM

If you haven't been to Sydney before, definitely book a hotel near the Opera House. A couple of hours strolling around there or a ferry ride on the harbour will make you want to cancel your flight home. Staying at an airport hotel is inadvisable when glorious Sydney is only about a 40 minute ride form the airport ( even shorter by train)
Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:34 AM

Hi cguest88
Go into Sydney its really a short journey, here are a few lines I posted on a similar question:

In December we arrived at Sydney and bought a return ticket on the KST Sydney Airporter which is a mini bus service which leaves from just outside the terminal. Just go to the desk at arrival and tell them your hotel name.
It was really good value at $13.00 each or $52 for 4 of us return, we just had to call them the day before we needed to be collected to be returned to the airport. Door to door service at a reasonable price.

Hope it is of some use too.
Muck
Mar 3rd, 2004, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice. We will be in Sydney to start off our journey for 4 days. (Sorry should of explained that). I do like the Coogee beach idea and I will look into that.

Otherwise, I think we will back to Sydney. I hate airport hotels anyway. Thanks everyone.
Mar 5th, 2004, 02:26 PM

We had a similar situation on our trip last August and opted to go into Sydney for the night. We had a very nice time in the city and it was well worth it. The alternative for us was to stay at the best airport hotel (a Hilton I think?) but the more I thought about that idea, the less enthusiastic I got. Staying at an airport hotel, even a nice one, would be like ending our trip a day early, which I didn't want to do. If you go into Sydney, you'll have time for a nice breakfast and morning walk. I'd stay somewhere great and centrally located so interesting things are right at your doorstep. We chose the Park Hyatt for our final night. It is right down at the water's edge. You don't get panoramic harbor views from that hotel but you are right on the water so you can see all the various activities going on, which is fun. And there are lots of interesting things to walk to nearby.