NZ help South island

Oct 8th, 2003, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

NZ help South island

We loved the North island, and now we are on to the South. Does anybody have any opinions or recommendations about the following lodging choices? We like smaller, B&B type places. I thought I'd read posts quite some time ago that mentioned a couple, but my search led nowhere.

Christchurch: Riverview Lodge (Does anyone know if this is too out of the way?)
Croydon house
Apartment 37 B&B

Dunedin: Hulmes Court
Mandeno House

Queenstown: Turner Lodge B&B
Queenstown House

Franz Josef: Rainforest Retreat

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oct 12th, 2003, 06:15 AM

While in Christchurch we stayed at the Grange House at 56 Armagh Street. I believe they have a web site. Very close to the CBD but the proprietor, Marie Simpson, gave us free passes for the trolly that circles the area and stops at the Grange House. She even let us use her car to drive to church on Sunday. Lovely person.
John
Oct 12th, 2003, 02:12 PM
LN

Hi

I have no real information on B & B's but I hope to let you know that at Franz Josef you would do well to stay within the little village. There are places that are outside and on the fringe and with Franz Josef as isolated as it is - it becomes very difficult to get around. People with us had to walk down a pitch black road holding onto each other's jackets trying to get back to the motel.

In Christchurch we stayed at the Rydges and it was fine - very nice breakfasts and we ate dinner in small restaurants around town. In queenstown we stayed at Hurleys - a smaller apartment hotel which turned out to be great for us we had our coffee each morning and relaxed watching the Remarkables.
Have a great trip!!
Oct 12th, 2003, 05:05 PM

Whatever you do, do not miss Milford Sound. We have just returned from a trip around the South Island in a motorhome and this was the absolute Highlight of the holiday - and we were considering bypassing it due to time involved. Glad we didn't.

nzers
Oct 16th, 2003, 05:55 PM
adeleh

In Queenstown we stayed in a B&B called Pencarrow and I strongly recommand this place for a memory of a life time.I can assure you that Pencarrow is like nothing else in the world and we have stayed in many unforgettable places in the world.
Their web site- pencarrow.net

Oct 17th, 2003, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for all the advice! I am going to check out all these places on the web right now.
Oct 18th, 2003, 03:36 PM

We stayed at the Shotover Lodge in Queenstown last month & I can highly recommend it! It's about 5 minutes from Queenstown with the most accomodating hosts-Steve & Jeanette Brough. The breakfasts were the most incredible we've had anywhere. They were a great help when our flight to Milford Sound was cancelled as well as with anything else we needed. The phone # is (03)441 8037. I don't know if they have a web site but you might find them on www.purenz.com.