NZ SOUTH ISLAND FOR 5 DAYS! HELP!!

Jan 10th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Jenny

NZ SOUTH ISLAND FOR 5 DAYS! HELP!!

Hello all. I am travelling with my boyfriend to New Zealand (South Island) this March. Unfortunately we only have 5.5 days there - and I want to see it all! Can you please suggest some not to miss things to do/see on the South Island. I would also appreciate any recommendation on places to stay. Also, what type of car / sport utility / etc. would you recommend us to hire? Thanks for all your help! I really appreciate it. Happy Travels!

Jan 10th, 2003, 01:45 PM
liz

Try these web sites:
www.experiencenewZealand.com/driving
www.anzed.co.nz - evidentally car rentals in nz are very reasonable.
South Island is spread out.......so my adivice to you is to get to the southern part of the south island quickly and then spend your time enjoying the fantastic sights of Queenstown, Tenau, Milford sound etc. Christchurch is a great starting point - a lovely city and only about 5 hours driving distance from Queenstown. The drive is across the Canterbury plains.
Hostels and backpacker hotels are reasonable and fun.
Enojoy and good luck.

Jan 10th, 2003, 06:07 PM
Kelly

Hi Jenny~ Liz's ideas are great! A regular car will do just fine. I can recommend some specifc activities if you tell me what you like, because there is available all different kinds of things to do. The places that you absolutely can not miss in the South Island are the Fjords staged out of Te Anau and then around Queenstown. I loved the float plane trip out of Te Anau to Dusky and Doubtful Sound. We also loved the "Taste of Milford Track" day hike/boat offered from Trips and Tramps in Te Anau. Also, a boat trip to Doubtful Sound or Milford can not be missed. Rain or shine they are worth going. There are a lot of wineries aroung Queenstown if you like that and many good restaurants. There is enough to do in this area to keep any one fully occupied. Resist the urge to "pop" over to the glaciers or Mt Cook, or if you really insist, fly there out of Queenstown area. My only possible other suggestion is to fly into Dunedin instead of Christchurch. I found the architecture much more interesting, that is if you want to see a city at all. You can always fly straight to Queenstown and spend the time just around there. If you let me know your budget, I can give you some lodging ideas. My favorite place in Queenstown is the Pear Tree Cottage. It is a lovely B and B well worth the cost, very romantic and the owners will give you all the secrets the locals know! Cheers, Kelly

Jan 14th, 2003, 03:14 PM
jenny

Thank you so much for the responses. I am going to look into flying directly into Queenstown to save some driving time. The major reason we wanted to pop over to Mt. Cook - my boyfriend is a huge Lord of the Rings fan and thought it would be fun to see Mount Cook? Is it possible to drive there from Queenstown for the day. It is hard to tell because I am not familiar with the terrain. Also as far as lodging, I would say that our budget is middle of the road. Happy to go above or below for the right place.

Jan 14th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Lindsey

Jenny,
According to the Lord of the Rings Location Guidebook, no filming was done on Mt. Cook. And it really is too far to drive there from Queenstown for the day.
But there are many filming locations right around Queenstown, Arrowtown, Glenorchy and Te Anau. Also, the drive from Queenstown to Wanaka is only about 45 min. now that the Crown Range Rd is fully paved and there are a number of filming sites along that drive.

Jan 14th, 2003, 04:00 PM
jordan

A majority of Lord of the Rings was shot around Queenstown. They have tours in Queenstown that will take you around to all the sites. Go to the information center on Shotover street and they will tell you all about it.

Jan 14th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Jenny

Excellent! I think that settles it! To Queenstown we go! Let me know if you have any other recommendations! Thanks!!

Jan 15th, 2003, 03:48 PM
kelly

Jenny! There is a really cool book that we saw in NZ this November all about the film locations of The Lord of the Rings. Beautiful photos and it also talks about the scenes that were shot there. I am sure you can find it on Amazon.com and surprise him for Valentine's Day. If you can't find it, let me know.

Jan 15th, 2003, 04:24 PM
jenny

You rock! What a fantastic idea! I am going to search for it now...

Jan 16th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Christina

Quality Terraces in Queenstown was a great place to stay.

Jan 17th, 2003, 04:25 PM
kelly

Hi Jenny~ A few more thoughts.
Lunch at Gibbston Valley winery just outside of Q. They also have a cheesery (sp.?)there. Dinner in Arrowtown at Saffron, if you like gourmet type food. Behind Saffron is a great late jazz and blues club owned by Saffron but I can not remember the name. It is very tiny and intimate, couches and a fire place with a tiny bar and even smaller stage, like being in someone's living room. We heard a local lady sing and it was awesome. The Lone Star restaurant is reasonably priced and very popular. The Bunker and The Copper Club are the most well known expensive restaurants, but I was not completely impressed. They were ok. Now, I am wanting to book a trip back, but I promised my husband we would go to Perth this year. Cheers, Kel