A Pox on the shortcomings of Sydney Airport and the lack of signage

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently had to change terminals from Domestic to International and although I was aware of what I wanted to do and where to go the lack of signage ( all very well to put it on the wall about 30 mtrs away in 1 inch lettering when some of us cannot even read the phone book with glasses ) was dreadful. Nice when you know that the International Terminal is north, south, east or west but who but a Sydney-ite would know that anyway and therefore know which train to go on. Then when you find the train station there are no directions and little help. Then you have to line up for a ticket ( again no cost information either ) and then find out which blasted station to go on. Absolutely pathetic actually and no wonder that Melbourne is getting the edge on Sydney when this is allowed.
Old May 17th, 2008, 02:19 AM

Hear, hear, LizzyF! Sydney Airport is a miserable embarrassment by any standards, and privatisation has only made things worse.

Old May 17th, 2008, 03:11 AM

Brisbane would outdo Sydney too Liz, just walk outside airport and there's a train station, everything clearly signaged, as you would know. Last time was in Sydney airport came through from Cairns on an international Qantas flight which originated in Japan, the shuttle driver between International and Domestic was an arrogant rude pig to non-English speakers, dumped mostly everyone at the wrong domestic terminal for ongoing internal flights which involved a long walk with luggage, weaving our way through carparks. The three of us had lived in Sydney for most of our lives and we were confused.
Old May 17th, 2008, 03:30 PM

Our last trip to the US confirmed Sydney's dire state.

The train from Sydney International to Central Station (a "public-private partnership&quot takes a mere 18 minutes and costs AU$13.80 one way. That's right, nearly $14.

On arrival at SFO, after a smooth passage through customs and immigration (even allowing for the strict US entrance procedures) we walked a short distance to the airport BART station and bought tickets to Lake Merritt, across the Bay in the city of Oakland, a 50-minute trip. A one-way ticket currently costs US$5.65 (about AU$6). We used BART a lot and found the service reliable and fast, if seemingly under-patronised.

When we arrived back in Sydney, the arrivals area was a shambles, the milling throng waiting to go through customs so packed that the distinction between those queued up and everyone else was very unclear.

To the best of my knowledge neither SFO airport nor the Bay Area Rapid TRansit System have been privatised, unlike Sydney's airport and rail link.

Meanwhile Sydney Airport's monopoly owner has the ultimate cash cow, putting up commercial developments on government-owned land that are not subject to state or municipal planning processes and charging parking fees twice those of LHR and JFK.

Old May 17th, 2008, 04:32 PM

I could not believe what a shambles the International Arrivals was on a Saturday afternoon about 4 pm - if it wasn't for a kind employee taking pity on two geriatrics with next to no luggage we would still be there! Once out of Customs it was fine and there was no taxi queue but inside was appalling.
Old May 17th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Further to the short-comings at Sydney Airport - having been in and out of Hongkong - part of China and in and out of Macau it is nice to know and wonderful to use a line for Customs and immigration which is short but designed for people over a certain age or those who are " deficient ". Translated that means those of us who do not have full mobility and I don't care if I am called "deficient" - at least someone acknowledges that some of us are not fit and 100% able and makes allowances for that. C'mon Western ( so called advanced ) Nations make signs and directions accessable and make allowances for the less active in society.
Old May 17th, 2008, 06:31 PM

Liz, respect for senior citizens is of course a Chinese tradition - not sure about the infirm, but you make a good point.
Old May 17th, 2008, 06:48 PM

Couldn't agree more, Lizzie. I flew in and out of Melbourne - Sydney weekly in my last job and the contrast between the two airports (and cities) grew more marked as time went on.

At first just the wait for taxis was annoying, then the terminal seemed dirtier, then my colleague who is blind, and listens intently, commented that she was hearing more and more complaining passengers.

It's almost as if Sydney had a mammoth effort for the Olympics and then just gave up.

I do love my home town Melbourne, and the airport is a cinch compared to Sydney - but wish we also had a train connection. Sydney will have to lift its game, however, if it wants to remain a tourist focus .......
Old May 17th, 2008, 10:30 PM

I believe that Melbourne has now pulled ahead of Sydney in overseas visitor numbers. It seems Sydney decided to rest on its laurels after the Olympics, whereas Melbourne knew it needed to put in a continuing effort.

Maybe this is a lesson for any city thinking that the Olympics will be the answer to its prayers.

Speaking of prayers, the latest Sydney stuff-up is World Youth Day (christened World Pope Day by some wag), a religious happening which was expected to drag in hoards of cashed-up visitors. It now seems that the forecasts were far, far too optimistic.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 01:58 AM

Agree - though my personal gripe is the now almost total invisibility of the shuttle service into town. If you didn't know there was one, there's little chance you'd happen upon it. There are no signs at all. From this I deduce that the privatised airport is in cahoots with (a) the overpriced train and (b) the overpriced taxis.

Of course it should never have been sold in the first place (a bit like the power industry - not yet a done deal but hard to see how it can be stopped). Only profit and value to the shareholders counts - isn't that so?

The only airport I've been to that I dislike more is LA - at least Sydney has somewhere to get a cup of coffee after 9.00pm.
Old Jul 12th, 2008, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

totally agree afterall. LAX is out on its own but Sydney had no reason to be as bad as it is.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 06:29 AM

aww..i was just going to say how much i liked the volunteers in their bright uniforms coming up to me and asking if i needed help ( i was reading some sign)
never encountered anything like that anywhere else in the world

this was back in 2006 mind you...dont know if the volunteers still do their bit for the nation anymore
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 01:02 PM

They still do that at Denver International Airport in the USA--dressed in their western gear. Usually retired folks. Most pleasant.
Old Jul 13th, 2008, 07:08 PM

Afterall, thank your lucky stars that you weren't able to find any signs to the shuttle.

We took it twice on our last trip and agreed never again. On both trips we were totally packed in like sardines. We waited and waited for the shuttle to fill so we could get going. And fill it did--someone was even assigned to sit on the console. All windows all open wide, we drove into Sydney.

Outbound, it took several stops and about an hour for the shuttle to fill before we were on our way to the airport. The driver even waited more than 20 minutes outside an apartment for two passengers who rudely kept us sitting in the shuttle, tapping our fingers, waiting.

The train is our preferred transpo mode to the airport from now on. The slight additional expense is worth it

Old Jul 14th, 2008, 03:32 AM

Lizzy - how lovely to know that we agree about something.

It's so sad that the gateway to a city that IS one of the world's great destinations has been given over to the profit motive, rather than the service motive.

Betsy - I love the shuttle. You see it takes me to Railway Square. And from there I can catch a bus almost to my front door. Been using it now for about ten years. I'm quite happy to wait while it fills up. As are the other budget travellers who persevere until they find it.

If it's not for you, then fine.

It's rare to find an American using it. On my last trip we had a big contingent of Spanish speakers, a couple of Brits and an Indian.

Long live the shuttle.
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

I agree with a lot of what you say Afterall - its just that we like to pull each other's chain every so often. If I have plenty of time I use the shuttle too, especially if I am on my own because its cheaper and generally I have found it reasonable quick. Sure beats trying to converse with one of Sydney's taxi drivers (75% of which speak very little English & never seem to know the quick way to go anywhere, especially if they think you don't know - this usually costs an extra $10 but is OK for me because I was born in Sydney and therefore do know how to get to most places )
Old Jul 14th, 2008, 04:14 PM

I agree with Pat Woodford, Brisbane's International Airport is a pure joy, just like a big country airport, not busy like Sydney. There is a bit of internal construction work going on at the moment, but this should prove benefial to all when completed.
We recently flew back from Vanuatu, had to go to Quarantine, and all personnel we dealt with both Customs or Quarantine, were helpful & polite.
We have the new style passports, and once you get used to standing in front of a camera, answering a few questions on a screen, its a breeze, just so quick to process.
Like Pat said, you walk outside taxi's lined up in the taxi queue, private car parking companies have another area, and then there is the Air Train which takes you into the City or down to the Gold Coast.
We leave our car in a private enclosed Car Parking Station at Hendra for a moderate fee, vehicle washed & ready to go, after they pick you up at the airport, then it out onto the Hendra roundabout, turn left, and your on the Motorway heading north, just too easy, thats if the Gateway is flowing alright, but still so much better than Sydney's Airport.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 12:34 PM

First let me say thanks to everyone who is posting – I just ‘joined’ so that I could do just that.
Horrors! I will be traveling to Sydney in March of 2009 to start my ‘trip of a lifetime’. Not only have I not flown commercially since about 1969, but I have never flown internationally. Will I ‘survive’ flying into and out of both LAX and Sydney International (and Sydney Domestic 4 days later)in such a comparatively short time period? This will be a totally new experience to me, I might as well have never been traveling by air before! Can someone explain why Sydney is such a (seems to be described as) mad house? I guess I’d better stock up on the antacid tablets
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

After you have been through LAX then nothing seems bad after that. It would rank as the worst airport in the World I think for inefficiency and rudeness. Sydney will seem easy after that but that is not to say that we cannot complain about Sydney Airport as it is now in comparison to what it used to be. Though I really think Heathrow is certainly up there with the worst of the worst but then that is not where you will be going. I would really like to see most Western Countries Airport reps take a quick run through the Asian airports to see how they should really do things i.e. Singapore for instance is perhaps the World's most efficient airport. If you are flying with Qantas or American Airlines Internationally then onto Domestic Qantas then you will have no trouble because Qantas has an easy transfer system and they will get you from International to Domestic or the reverse. The problem only pokes its head when you are not with Qantas. My main concern with Sydney Airport is their lack of signage showing where to go and what to do to get from the Domestic Terminal to International particularly by train. They do not tell you that you have to pay and they have little signage to show where you have to go. Fine if you have lots of time but its not fine if you don't. The best suggestion I could make is ask the Flight Attendants on your incoming flight what you have to do and request some help.
I hope that all airports will prove me wrong and I think that this week in Sydney with all the International Catholic Pilgrims arriving they may have lifted their game a little.
Old Jul 17th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
You will be quite fine, rfofnps; there are zillions of us who do that LAX-SYD flight non-stop & longer legs with just re-fuelling stops without any problem. LAX can be a bit of a zoo, but what the heck ... you're on your way to a great adventure ...

Just take a good book & wear something comfortable. I always take a wrap as I find the airconditiioning a little cool.

The domestic terminals (there are two in the same area - just a little way from the International) in Sydney are much better, and smaller of course, than the International.

You'll probably see the most vehement criticism of Sydney International airport from Australians. It is a source of great irritation and embarassment to us that a facility which was once world standard has been let slip so badly. Having said that, a lot of the current mess has to do with construction works outside the terminal, so hopefully that will all bd completed when you're here next year.

Enjoy your trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -