Transfer from Airport in Sydney

Old Apr 16th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transfer from Airport in Sydney

We be going to Sydney in two weeks. What is the best way to get to our hotel in Sydney from the airport with the least amount of hassle. We will have two large suitcases and will be tired. Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 02:51 AM

where is your hotel?
How many people?

public train that runs through the airport could cope with the suitcases, but it's not too cheap (~A$12pp from International terminal to city centre), could check information via:
http://www.cityrail.nsw.gov.au/fares/calculator.jsp

You could also try searching for privately run airport transfer shuttle, but I don't know the price for them.

With taxi, refer to http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/usin...xis/fares.html for price guide
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 07:03 AM

Taxis are easy to find as you leave the terminal, and so are the private shuttle buses, which pull up at a special rank almost directly ahead of you (slightly to the right). The train is okay (but a rip-off!) if you know exactly where you're going, but with suitcases, what would you do after the train deposited you on an underground platform? Taxis sound like what you're after... expensive, but the hassle-free options always are!
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 11:31 AM

Taxis is Sydney are VERY expensive. I can't even imagine what the cost from the airport to a central hotel in Sydney would cost.

If your hotel is located in the Rocks area or somewhere nearby, the train is painless and quick. Take the train to Circular Quay station (the platform is above ground) and if you have to, take a short taxi from there. There is a taxi stand right in front of the station. Recently I stayed at the Marriott Sydney Harbour and the station was about 1 block away. It worked perfectly for me as I just walked there from the station and I had 2 suitcases plus computer and camera bags and I was all by myself. There are few more major and smaller hotels located within walking distances of couple of the downtown stations, but again a taxi from the train station(s) is alaways an option.

Shuttle may be another option. It may just take longer. They do run regular routes to many major central hotels picking up and dropping of passengers. If your hotel happens to be one of the first ones on the list, then it's not bad, but if it's one of the last ones, it may take some time.

If you post the hotel you are planning on staying at, you will get some more detailed advice.

Have a great trip. Sydney is a great destination. I had a wonderful time.

Reporting from Melbourne now!
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 12:23 PM

The last time I took a taxi from the airport to a downtown hotel (May 2003) it was only 30 AUD. The taxi line at the international terminal is highly organized.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 06:15 PM
LN

Hubby and I took a cab in Sept 2004 and the cost was $27 AU. We had also used a hotel transfer service on another visit and it took awhile as we had to wait for all other passengers to be dropped off and then we were taken to the Rocks. It also was about $20. It really wasn't worth the difference.

Old Apr 17th, 2005, 08:56 PM

If the taxi is that cheap (I'm surprised), then yes, it's worth it.

I just didn't know how much the taxi would be and in my case The Marriott Harbour was located right by the train station and it cost me $8AUS, so it worked for me.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 10:48 PM

The point is that we still don't know where edsharr's hotel is, so we're giving advice without any idea of what we're talking about!

The $27 taxi fare seems VERY reasonable indeed, but maybe his hotel is on the other side of town and will cost an extra $10!

I am generally fairly critical of the airport train, because of that $AUD10 platform surcharge, but if edsharr's hotel is right by a railway station, I could be persuaded to change my mind. For myself, I never travel with anything I can't carry on my back, so I always do the cheap trip and hang the "hassle": the route 400 bus to either Rockdale, Burwood, or Bondi Junction Stations, and then the train. For me -- a senior -- that costs $AUD2.50; for everyone else, about $AUD6.
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 11:15 PM

I think Taxi fares also depend very much on the day of the week and more importantly the time of day. Traffic can be horrific at peak times.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 12:22 PM

We used the airport transfer shuttle. I enjoyed it because you where able to see other hotels and get a nice overview of the area on your first ride thru Sydney. We stayed at the Marriott Harbour Side. We also took the transfer back to the airport
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info. We are staying at the Holiday Inn on
George St. In doing some research, I find that the shuttle is not much less than the taxi service according to those responding;.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 10:11 AM

Hi:
We've always taked a taxi from the airport to our hotels- either in Darling Harbour or just up Goulburn St at Elizabeth- never have we paid more than A$30, and always been during morning rush hour- for the sheer convenience of it, especially after the long trans-Pacific flight, we wouldn't choose any other option-
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:54 PM

I'll be the final nail in this coffin. We paid about $40 (w/tip I think) from airport to Chinatown a few weeks ago. Depends on how much luggage you have, and how many people. If there's two of you, taking the train sounds like a poor trade off, especially if you've been in a place for 13 hours.