Getting from Sydney Airport to Darling Harbour

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2004, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions on how best to get from the Sydney airport to Darling Harbour? Can I just grab a taxi in front of the airport? And does anyone have an idea what this trip would cost? Thank you.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:22 AM

Hi, gr8travels!

There are three main ways to get from the airport to amywhere in Sydney you choose: taxi, train, and bus. The taxi, which you can hail just outside the terminal doors --they are coming in in a steady stream at peak times -- will cost you around $AUD40.

The train, the entrance to which is at the terminal, won't go right to Darling Harbour, but it will let you off at Central Station, where you can hop a tram/light rail that will take you through Darling Harbour. This is much cheaper than the taxi, but not as cheap as normal rail journeys in Sydney, as the airport line attracts a special premium... it qwould probably cost you around $AUD10 to Central and another $AUD3 for the tram (I am sure some of our more knowledgeable posters will be able to give you the exact-to-the-cent cost).

Buses are of two types: privately-run shuttle buses with stops at major hotels and city centres. These cost about $AUD8 or $9 one way, and I expect (but I don't know for sure) that Darling Harbour would be one of the stops for some of them. The bus rank is just outside the main door of the terminal, and there will be a steady stream of people heading for the different stands (they are all in a straight line).

At the same bus rank you can get a government bus which goes between Bondi Junction and Burwood. Either way the journey will take about forty minutes. This is blue-and-white bus 400, and is quite the cheapest way to get out of the airport (around $AUD3). If you go to Bondi Junction, you can change over to a normal subway service which will take you to Town Hall, from near where you can get right to Darling Harbour via the Monorail for around another $AUD3. This option is great for backpackers, as not only is it cheap, but you are using modes of transport you would probably use just for fun on other days. However, if you have loads of luggage, it's all a bit of a hassle, and you may find the extra cost of the taxi is a justifiable expense.

Taking the 400 bus in the Burwood direction will have you at Rockdale Station in about twelve minutes; suburban trains from there also run to both Central and Town Hall. But you have to lug those bags into a small elevator at the station, and the trains have no special provisions for baggage -- you may wind up standing with your bags near the automatic doors.

Myself, I always use those public buses, but as we limit ourselves to a backpack each, we don't find this a struggle. You will have to decide which of the options is best for you.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 05:01 AM

Hi gr8travels,
In addition to Alans suggestions;
In December we arrived at Sydney and bought a return ticket on the KST Sydney Airporter which is a mini bus service which leaves from just outside the terminal. Just go to the desk at arrival and tell them your hotel name.
It was really good value at $13.00 each or $52 for 4 of us return, we just had to call them the day before we needed to be collected to be returned to the airport. Door to door service at a reasonable price.

Hope it is of some use too.
Muck
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Alan and Muck for the information, I think I will try the KST Sydney Airporter.
Old Feb 22nd, 2004, 04:12 PM

I play cricket with a cab driver.

The airport shuttles etc are really hurting the cabbies and i think the airport rail service because they are the best value.It makes one wonder why the govt. aiport bus service was canned.