Airport Transportation

Nov 5th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Airport Transportation

I have seen several postings about the wonderful public transportation in and around Sydney. We are going to be in Sydney for 7 days. Is there some type of rail/bus pass that would include transportation from the Sydney airport to somewhere near the Sydney Harbour Marriott on Pitt Street?
Nov 6th, 2004, 04:29 PM

Hey,
I just returned from a fantastic 4 week visit to Australia. My last week was spent in Sydney. I too was aware of all the great deals regarding transportation. I feel the very best way to get to/from the airport is with the airport hotel shuttle. It actually costs ($8), less than the train ($11) and the shuttle will drop you right at your hotel door vs. the station.

For everyday getting around, I would suggest a pass (ferries, train, bus) easily available, for 7 days only $40 AU that's $30 US. This included the ferry to Manly, if you're not going there it is even cheaper. Initially I thought about buying the Sydney Pass, which in addition to the ferries, bus and train, you get the Sydney Explorer and Bondi Explorer and the fast ferry. Nice, but NOT necessary. The Sydney Pass is like 3 days for $130 AU. CRAZY and a definite waste. Taxis are ok for night but expensive.

I was a little unclear as to where to get the shuttle, I asked once I arrived and was told "over there behind bldg 3", so luckily I asked someone else and lo and behold he turned around a sign and said he was a hotel shuttle driver. I really lucked out since I had quite a bit of luggage and was relieved of lugging it to who knows where.

Sometimes as a tourist, particularly a woman traveling alone, you are a bit skeptical, but they are on the up and up and I was told the drivers are not allowed to approach you and ask if you are interested in the service. Bottom line there must be a way to arrange for the service a head of time, since when I left Sydney, my hotel just called them and made the arrangements. Best $9 bucks I spend in Sydney!!!!!

Have a wonderful time in Sydney and if I can be of any help, please don't hesitate. This is a great service.
Nov 6th, 2004, 05:21 PM

There are different travel passes that allow you to travel different distance.

http://www.airportlink.com.au/touristtransfer.html

From the airport railway station you can add on a airport trip or buy a gate pass when holding a colured travel pass. The stations at the airport are privately owned so there is a surcharge to use the station.

After paying so much for an airfare the best way is by taxi (or hotel shuttle), it gets you to the door and you don't have to worry about finding your way around jetlagged and dis-oriented.

btw. I love Sydney, is the only major city in the world I would consider living in and am first to sing it's praises. However I would not rate it's public transport as wonderful.

The good thing for the tourist is that all trains and buses head to the city so by the time they converge closer to town there are far more options so late running or cancelled trains don't have the same impact as they do on residents that live in the outer suburbs as I do.

The train service called "city rail" has been renamed "sickie" rail on account of so many drivers calling in sick but something quite similair in sound by most commuters.
Nov 10th, 2004, 08:23 AM

We found that since there were 3 of us, it cost less to take a taxi from the airport (less than $40AU I think) than a shuttle. Plus, we appreciate the convenience of not having to think at all about where we're headed after a loooong day af travel and not having to find spots for our luggage on a busy commuter train (the trains and stations have stairs to negotiate as well).
We did purchase the Sydney Pass, as we planned on taking the Explorer bus and cruises anyway. It included unlimited use of the Explorer bus which goes to all of the tourist sights, albeit slowly, since it has to stop at each one. Since it rained several days we were there, we made good use of it. Also, the Sydney Pass gives you free access to the 3 daily Harbor Cruises (morning, afternoon, evening) run by the Sydney Ferry system. These cruises are narrated and nonstop, and there is a snack bar on board, or you can bring your own food. We got to see an overturned America's Cup sailboat just after it lost its keel and crashed into the wall below the opera house (not a part of the normal cruise experience!).
Nov 11th, 2004, 11:32 PM

Well if you are in Sydney on the 22nd November join the commuter rebellion and refuse to pay your train fare for the day.

Ticket inspectors, ticket sellers and railway unions have decided to support the commuter "refuse to pay for a day".

So have a free day to travel to wherever you wish on the city rail network !

All the time supporting a good cause!