Search

To our friends in Santa Fe

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To our friends in Santa Fe

Andrew, hopefully you'll get this before the polizei close this thread down. Well, it's easy to say for me, but take heart. LBJ was confirmed in '64 and look what happened; Tricky Dick was re-elected in '72, likewise - each bogged down in a horrible quagmire on the other side of the world.

There are many of us out here who've been inspired by the promise held out by America's founding fathers. Their vision has been temporarily (I hope) short-circuited by the flood of illiterate religious bigots who followed them, and bred, leading eventually to the temporary victory of people who equate "morals" to walking into other people's bedrooms. 100,000 Iraqi deaths doesn't fall into the category of "morals", it seems - only stem cell research that might provide a cure for Alzheimer's Disease. (What is WRONG with these people?)

I don't blame you for looking north, but remember the other 48% of the American people that need support and leadership in these troubled times.

Me? I'm already thinking of New Zealand - nice place to live.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 11:29 AM

Neil I guess you found that you couldn't reply to that other post and so started this one.
Why is it though that when I click on a reply where you have written your name, Neil, comes up in blue but your email address is in red? Is that the colour of your politics and if so does it reflect your American affiliations or the Australian ones?
For what its worth - which is probably nothing at all - I thought that Mr Kerry looked too much like a Ken doll and that could have had an impact on some people. Speaking from experience here I know that the grey should be at the roots and the colour on top and not the other way round. I guess I would have to ask a hairdresser how to get black on the roots and grey on top - very dashing for a lady but not my cup of tea for a bloke! Then again Mr Bush coves across like a Mr T without the sub machine gun, at least in sight!
Oh well, nothing like politics in the USA to keep us amused for another 4 years.
AD, just dig youself further into Santa Fe there and wait it out because from a first hand experience politics in Canada or any other country is no better.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 01:30 PM

Well said, Neil. At least my home, California, is still sensible (though I know that is going to draw a lot of smart remarks!). And the one bright spot is that we did pass our stem cell research initiative. Hurrah!
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Well, frankly, I'm so glad to find out from Andrew that there are no rich lying Democrats in this country. It is indeed a sad day when we find it necessary to label or stereotype people in groups. Oh, by the way, I do believe Senator and Mrs. Kerry are billionaires, but then I'm sure neither one has ever lied. As Americans we have lived through good times and bad times and through both Democratic and Republican Presidents. I personally don't hold either party accountable for all the good nor all the bad. How about Congress, the body of people who make the laws and then do their best to circumvent them? And how about individual's who make personal choices every day that impact their own and others happiness and well-being or lack of it? We can't blame it all on one individual or even one political party. That's way too easy. But perhaps it's less painful to believe there is a utopia just over the rainbow.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 04:42 PM

Pogg,

I certainly was not an enthusiastic supporter of Senator Kerry or other big business Democrats. Bill Richardson our Democratic Governor here in NM pushed through a Bush like tax cut for the upper brackets which I feel was innapropriate given the level of poverty here.

I don't think the situation here can accurately be portrayed as blaming the state of affairs on one man. We all have responsibility. However I personally feel the near future of our country w/ the president, Senate , the House controlled by one party and 4-6 potential Supreme Court choices being made by the neo cons, is a wider net than laying blame on just one man. And 59M and counting of our fellow citizens thought this was the right course. I just don't happen to be one of them.

There may not be utopia over the rainbow, but I feel a fairer more equitable and safer world is possible than the one we will inhabit here for the next 4 years.

Given the .5 billion spent on the campaign w/ its mud slinging and avoidance of the issues I'm not sure how to characterize the election we just had. I do know that Jimmy Carter said his international election certification process could not certify our election and I feel this is a sad comment on our so-called democracy

AdrewDavid
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 05:52 PM

AD

Well said.. I woke up Wednesday monring and wept for a country of which i am not even a cictizen. I live a red state (TX) and the blind faith of my seemingly intelligent coworkers is depressing.

But I believe it is important to stay back and fight - because voices of sanity like yours will be important in the next 4 years.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 05:55 PM

Dear Indie,

I've devoted 30 years of public service both as a low paid community based architect often working in public offices for minimum wage and half my life as a volunteer in various social service settings trying to make America a better place for all of our citizens and act in a responsible and cooperative way toward the rest of the world.

Even under the most benevolent and embracing of administrations this has been an uphill battle. While more fair minded on social issues, Democrats are hardly the leaders on economic equality.

Considering that I pay an absolutely large amount in taxes to the IRS, I'm not sure I need to finance what is and will soon happen in this country and its incursions around the world.
Despite my large tax bill I'm a big fan of progressive income tax; I just want some value for my contribution. I'm impressed w/ what Scandanavians have accomplished for all their citizens. No one sleeps on the streets of Helsinki unless they want to !

Why not expend my efforts (and tax dollars) in more fertile (and foreign) settings ( which we get to experience thanks to sites like these)?

AndrewDavid

PS; and Susiederkins a 1% tax on millionaires to fund mental health services. Go Bears!
Old Nov 6th, 2004, 08:40 AM

I do see where you are coming from and as a person who has left her country of birth am hardly in a position to preach
However this forum and others have helped me see that there are several people who feel the way I do (well 60% in my state) and I feel more hopeful for it.

Good luck you'll be an asset wherever you go