Opinions on Ruidoso?

Search

Opinions on Ruidoso?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on Ruidoso?

Stepdaughter and her family are relocating to Ruidoso next month. We are considering visiting them on a vacation. So, we're wondering if we should plan for an entire vacation there, or perhaps budgeting time to go up to Albuquerque/Santa Fe. In any case, we would not be able to spend the entire trip with them (not that they would want us to!). We enjoy northern New Mexico, but don't know much about this area.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 02:49 PM

I haven't been there in 10 years..
3 memories of the place
1) cool weather felt good in the summer
2) smokers everywhere
3) it was in the middle of nowhere
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 02:52 PM
tmh

I've not been to Ruidoso but hear there are the 4 seasons type weather. You're not that far from Alb/SF so would make a trip to see what goes on there.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 02:55 PM
emd

I have been there, I have a working relationship w/someone who lives there. It is a nice small town, and they do have a very nice community arts/theater center, and you can catch some good performances there if you plan ahead. I don't think the wildfires have been as bad this year so far as they have been in recent past summers- that can be a very real concern, people get evacuated and my colleague has watched the fires coming towards her home and had that pink foam stuff sprayed on her roof by the firefighters, etc.. There's not a whole heck of alot going on for tourists, but my colleague loves living there, she raves that it is a great place to raise a family. It is lovely country and relaxing. I woudl try to go when the weatehr is nice and cooler. I would plan on spending some time in Santa Fe if this is a vacation also. More fun and things to do in Santa Fe than in Albequerque.
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 03:22 PM
Jayne1973

There's not all that much to do there -- at least not to fill a whole vacation, IMO. You could go to the horse races, of course, and poke around the shops. One of my favorite towns in the area is Lincoln, which is full of Billy the Kid history. It's almost a ghost town and has a good museum. From there you aren't too far from White Sands, either. I'd definitely head to Santa Fe as well.

Old Jul 7th, 2004, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone. I am hoping for daughter's sake (and especially for her 3 sons) that it is a good place to raise a family. Son-in-law is taking a new job there, and relocating them from the Florida Keys. Quite a transition, I would think!

We would not miss a chance to go up to ABQ/SF, and of course go shopping at Jackalope. Hubby loves roses, and it just drives him mad to see how profusely they grow in Albuquerque -- here in Central Florida, it is so humid, they struggle to survive.
Old Jul 8th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Jayne1973

sludick,

One thing about Ruidoso is that the boys will certainly have the opportunity to learn to snow ski-- something they couldln't do in the Florida Keys!

Old Jul 8th, 2004, 07:01 AM

White Sands is really neat to see. You could also head down to Carlsbad Caverns for a day.

Where's Tandoori Girl? She could give you lots of info.
Old Jul 9th, 2004, 05:49 PM

To some degree, I agree with the previous posters. I lived in Ruidoso for a short while in 1997, and you would certainly be missing out on a lot of other great NM locations if you didn't explore further afield.

With that said, I thought the surrounding area was gorgeous. I loved driving through Hondo as well as out toward Nogal and Capitan,which are north of Alto. There is breathtaking scenery to behold.

In Ruidoso, there is the Museum of the Horse, if your interests include learning about early transportation in the west and viewing various types of coaches/wagons, as well as some nice Native American art and kachinas. We always liked the food at The Deck House Restaurant on Mechem. There are a number of art galleries and small shops along the main strip in Ruidoso as well.

The Spencer Theater in neighboring Alto is in a stunning location, and there is info on the web about obtaining tickets: www.spencertheater.com
Old Jul 10th, 2004, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

We are indeed partial to historical exhibits and Native American art. I only have 1 kachina now, but would like to have another of nice quality. Thanks, I think we can have a very nice time overall. Also, it looks like there are plenty of suggestions we can pass on to help daughter's family get acclimated and have some fun.