Travel to Santa Fe with toddler

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have access to a friend's condo in Santa Fe and would like to take a trip out there sometime this summer (neither of us has ever been there). However, we will be traveling with our 3 year old daughter. I'm sure art museums and the like will not hold her attention. Any other things to do there that would also entertain her?
Old Apr 1st, 2005, 02:54 PM

There is a nice children's museum in Santa Fe, open Wednesday-Sunday.

You might want to take a day trip to Albuquerque and visit the zoo or the aquarium. There's also a very good children's museum and a natural history museum.

Bandelier National Monument, near Los Alamos, is a great place to spend a day.

Lee Ann

Old Apr 1st, 2005, 03:05 PM

For sure you'll want to see the Native Americans dance on the square. She'll love that as will you.

I checked out their visitors' website and didn't see much. Albuquerque, on the other hand, had several things I know children that age enjoy. There is an aquarium, zoo, wildlife park and a museum with dinosaurs.

Albuquerque is about an hour away from Santa Fe.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 05:53 AM
Jayne1973

Sounds a great opportunity. Santa Fe is a colorful, fun town for all ages, and while you probably wouldn't want to go gallery hopping with a 3 year old, I think you'd find plenty to do for all three of you.

The plaza is the heart of things in town and it's fun to just sit there on a bench or blanket (maybe with an ice cream from the Baskin Robbins across the street) and watch the people. Check our Senor Murphy's candy shop for a treat, too.

I don't think there are many Indian dances on the plaza anymore, but the natives have a designated place under the eaves of the Palace of the Governors where they sell jewelry, art, etc. I've seen a number of children's items there at reasonable prices, too.

If you do go to Albuquerque, taking the Turquoise Trail is neat. You'll pass through a few old "revived" ghost towns, including Cerillos, where you'll find an interesting rock shop with a small petting zoo. In Madrid, there's a saloon and old mine that's fun to see. Before you get to Albuquerque, there's Tinkertown -- created by an eccentric guy out of bottles. There are some interesting items inside, including some minature scenes that your daughter might like.

The Santa Fe Visitors center is very good and can probably help you with information about local activities for kids. The local papers (including the free Santa Fe Reporter) are a good source as well.

Hope you have a good time -- I am looking forward to going in June!

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 06:25 AM

I think there's a train somewhere in Santa Fe that could be fun for something to do with a child.

Or how about a raft trip, some places there are raft trips that are really just lazy floats down a river as opposed to white water rafting, i don't know about Santa Fe area, but you could investigate more.
Old May 11th, 2005, 08:06 PM
viragdom

There is an outdoor sculpture museum called Shidoni or Chudoni? My son loved it. The plaza is a cool place to play and relax. The mountains are beautiful for a drive. The train in Chama is fun, but kinda far. Albuquerque is one hour away and has an amusement park, water park, and all sorts of entertainment for kids.

Old May 13th, 2005, 02:12 PM

stephfl:
We just returned from Santa Fe and Albuequerque with our two year old. She enjoyed the children's museum in Santa Fe (except for the big bubble machine), she also liked the zoo in Albuequerque (she loved riding the camel). Unfortunately, we didn't make it to the Aquarium/biopark (it was scheduled for the end of our visit and we decided to just stay at the hotel and play). She loved playing in the pool at our hotel (Hyatt Tamaya). We all enjoyed an afternoon at Bandalier (she even climbed one of the ladders into an accessible cliff dwelling - although convincing her it was time to go back down was more challenging). We also took her to the Petrogylph National Park outside of Albuquerque and while I can't say she loved it she tolerated our being there reasonably well and joined us on the very short hikes to see the petrogylphs. She did not enjoy the Museum of Fine Art in Santa Fe (consequently neither did we), but she really liked the large cat sculpture outside one of the galleries nearby. We also enjoyed a fabulous meal at The Old House in Santa Fe where they very graciously accomodated our dining with a toddler (they put us in an small 3 table room [the Wine room?] off the main dining room which worked wonderfully). Have a terrific time!