Search

Time to Go to Australia

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Daniel

Time to Go to Australia

When would be the best time to go to Australia? I don't like hot weather and don't want to go when it's tourist season.

Old Nov 25th, 2002, 07:32 PM
Sue

What part of Australia, January and February are nice and warm in parts, dreadful hot and wet in others.

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 03:11 AM
Alan

Hi, Daniel!<BR>It's a bit like asking &quot;When is the best time to go to the US&quot;... the size is comparable, and you wouldn't expect, say, Florida and North Dakota to have their &quot;best&quot; season at the same time. If you're thinking of going into the centre, forget any time between the end of October and the middle of March, as it is blisteringly hot, and the insects are abominable. If you are going to Tasmania, you might find mid-winter too cold for your liking. The Barrier Reef, however, is best after the summer heat has passed, as areas around there get a lot of rain from January through March. If Sydney is your destination, then it's easy: the best months are the &quot;in-between&quot; months, when it's neither too hot nor too cold. April is absolutely the loveliest month of the year in Sydney, with mid-September to mid-October coming a close second. We have had lovely days through the first half of November, but just this last week the heat has become a bit too oppressive, and it will stay like that until end February (this doesn't stop Sydneysiders from getting out and doing things, however, especially at night -- the summer evenings are quite lovely, and there are outdoor cinemas and open-air concerts, some of them free, to make you forget how hot the day was). As in the USA, the coastal fringes have the most temperate climate, so if you are coming in either mid-summer or mid-winter, you will find it nicer to plan around the coastal strip. There are die-hard Sydneysiders who are still swimming in the beaches at Easter, and their winter &quot;break&quot; only lasts until early September.... but, then, they're quite crazy, like most Aussies!

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 10:44 AM
shannon

We went the first 2 weeks of October and it was PERFECT<BR><BR>Tasmania was a bit chilly --mainly due to the rain but even then it wasn't unbearable or miserable. AND it was our absolute favorite place.<BR><BR>Sydney was about NEAR PERFECT. sometimes cool, sunny the entire time and nice breezes to cool you when the sun heated up. The Cairns/Port Douglas area was quite tolerable. It was definitely shorts/tshirts weather but in the evening I could wear jeans and still be comfortable. The humidity was relatively LOW.<BR><BR>AND since it is spring...you have lots of blooming flowers--especially in Canberra!<BR><BR>

Old Nov 26th, 2002, 05:15 PM
Daniel

Thanks to everyone who answered me. I didn't expect such quick responses and they were all very informative. I was thinking of going around September-October and it sounds like that might be the best time to go. I'm not sure exactly which part of the country I'll be visiting. I have almost a year to think about it. Alan, you're absolutely right about comparing the size of Australia with the size of the U.S. It would be hard to be specific about the weather unless I knew which state someone was visiting. Thanks again to everybody.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Ian

Daniel,<BR>I pretty much concur with Alans response. My Mother visited (from UK)in Mar/Apr to avoid the peak summer heat. This can be a very pleasant time of the year in the southern capitals but still a bit hot &amp; humid further North. Brisbane and further north is perfect in our winter (Jun/Aug) but can get a bit cool further south. Have a good trip!

Old Dec 1st, 2002, 10:45 AM
Daniel

Ian,<BR><BR>Thanks for your helpful input and for wishing me a good trip.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 02:57 AM
Alan

Topping this for another inquirer.