Australia in July/Aug.

Oct 13th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Australia in July/Aug.

Our first trip to Australia was for New Year's Eve not quite a year ago. After that visit, we decided we had to get back for another visit, only longer this time, but the only time we can manage the time off is our summer [July and Aug.] How cold is winter there. I'm planning on just doing the east coast of Australia. I loved Sydney in January.
Oct 13th, 2003, 02:03 PM
Janese

It really depends where you want to go. The states of Victoria and Tasmania will be cold and can be miserable but that only compares to where you are from i.e if you are comparing them with say California or Florida then the above applies but if you are comparing them with anything north of Virginia then they will be mild. You can ski in the Alpine areas of NSW and Victoria if you like.
Sydney can be cold sometimes but not terribly so i.e. about temps of 18 deg C or so max and nights are cooler.
Going further north to say Brisbane and surrounds the temps will probably be about 23 deg C on average with cool nights down to about 8 or 9 but usually about 12 deg C.
The GBR will have days in the 28 deg C to about 30 deg C but even there you sometimes need a cardigan at night. Water temps are nice for swimming though in the far north.
Northern Territory will be about the same temps as summer without as much humidity - that is about 32 deg C and nice at night.
The "outback" does get cold and frosty at night but the days are fantastic.
Tell us where you live ( give us some idea of a comparison) and where you would like to go.

Oct 13th, 2003, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response Janese,

We're from NY, and although I loved being in Sydney for the warm weather in Jan., since it's not in the picture, I've become open to winter in Australia. I just don't know what 'winter' is there. I definitely want to get back to Sydney. In addition, we'll head up to Queensland, and down to Brisbane, and are open to other suggestions as well.
Oct 13th, 2003, 05:28 PM

We were in Sydney for about a week in August. We found the weather very similar to Los Angeles in the winter. It was chilly enough you wanted a light jacket, but warm enough that we ate most lunches outside at restaurants that offered patio seating. All in all, it was very pleasant. If you are used to New York weather (I spent many years in New Jersey), I think you'll find Sydney very comfortable in August. Points further south may be a different story.

We went to Hayman Island in August as well. For us, it was a little too chilly to actually swim in either the pools or the ocean, but we did do lots of outdoor activities such as sailing, tennis, tidepooling, hiking, etc.

Also in August we went much further north to Port Douglas. There the weather was warm enough to comfortably swim and lie out in the sun, although we and everyone else opted for wetsuits when we took a boat out to the GBR for snorkeling.

Finally, you don't mention the Outback, but we found the weather in Alice Springs and Ayers Rock to be absolutely delightful in August. The locals did tell us it was warmer than usual. But it was great, and no flies or bugs either! So if you have any interest at all in seeing that part of the country, July and August would be an ideal time to go.
Oct 13th, 2003, 07:45 PM

Hi Lois-I'm also from NY and can only travel to Australia during July and August (work in a school). The first trip I took was from Cairns to Sydney. I was in shorts and a t-shirt until Sydney. Then I went back this summer to Sydney and was blessed with fantastic weather. One day I took a boxing lesson at the Bondi Iceberg gym overlooking the beach-OUTSIDE- wearing a tank top and light pants. It was gorgeous! Two years ago it was raining and chilly but I wore a long sleeve shirt and sweater coat. It's really not bad at all. Trust me-if you lived through this past winter then you'll be fine! Australia is my favorite-I'd go back no matter what the weather was!
Oct 13th, 2003, 08:09 PM

Hi Lois - As Janese says weather in Far North is much much milder in winter than rest of east coast, but it can be very windy in July and August. It was particularly "blowy" this year,making conditions on GBR fairly unpleasant. Lovely on the mainland though.
Oct 14th, 2003, 12:55 PM

July/August is a good time to travel. Winters here are pretty mild - nothing like NY. There's no snow, for instance, except in alpine areas. From Sydney to the north, there's not much you can't do, except swim. Well - you can do that if 1) you're a Bondi Iceberg swimmer, (or mad!) or 2) you use a heated pool.
Sailing on Sydney Harbour is ideal in the winter months.

I've snorkelled in the Whitsundays, and the GBR, without wetsuits, in July and August. This is peak time for the Reef, weatherwise.

Have a great time
Oct 14th, 2003, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all, for the input. I'm pretty much sold on going ahead with these plans! I loved it so much, I can't imagine not being happy with the visit. As for last winter in NY, we thought we'd missed the unusually snowy, cold winter while we were in Australia and New Zealand for the end of Dec. and the entire month of January, only to find much more of the miserable weather waiting for us when we returned! Hope to not see that bad a winter around here for a while.....