Australia/New Zealand weather

Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Australia/New Zealand weather

We would love to visit Australia & New Zealand, but due to work schedules the only time we have is sometime between late May & mid-August. What is the weather like at that time & should it deter us from this trip. Also, what about rain? Thanks.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 10:04 PM

You're probably already aware that May to August is winter in Australia and New Zealand but if you can plan your holiday to visit the northern parts of Australia, you should get great weather. Sydney and Melbourne will probably be wet and cold.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 12:58 AM

donnap, why are you starting another thread on this subject when you already have one going? I'm having trouble following the logic - please help me out.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 02:02 AM

Look you will be moving into the cooler months in Australia and New Zealand, but quite frankly depending on what you want to do it won't really matter. Sydney can throw on the most amazing weather in July and August, sunny and not too hot (as long as you don't want to go to the beach). If you want to go further north (ie. Queensland this is the best time of year to vist). Melbourne and Tassie will be getting much cooler especially in July and August but there's still plenty of fabulous things to do in those areas)and sometimes seeing things like the Great Ocean Road and the Grampians when the weather is a bit wild lends a whole new element. Melbourne is a fine city and set up for cooler weather. I wouldn't let it deter you.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 08:42 AM

>>>>>>What is the weather like at that time & should it deter us from this trip.<<<<<<

Donnap, no one but you can know whether or not southern hemisphere winter weather should deter you from travelling to Oz and NZ.

I've already told you in your other thread that I would stick to the Top End of Australia, and I would give Sydney a special diplomatic immunity.

There are several other Fodorites who have travelled in the southern parts of Australia and in New Zealand in winter and have loved it.

You can do a Google search for TEMPERATURE + CAIRNS or TEMPERATURE + CHRISTCHURCH or TEMPERATURE + WHEREVER. Just realise that the actual temperature on any given day easily can be 15 deg F higher or lower than the monthly average that the website will show. The same websites also will give you average rainfall figures. Again, actual rainfall in a given month can be higher or lower than the average.

There are those who say -- and I believe there is a lot of truth to this expression -- that there is no bad weather, just poor clothing. If you go properly equipped, you'll be okay.