Australia/New Zealand weather in February

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 04:50 PM
murray

Australia/New Zealand weather in February

My wife and I are taking a 12 day cruise through New Zealand and Australia the last two weeks of February. We are kind of concerned because some of the literature which we have received says that the temperature there at this time of year ranges between 55-65 degrees fahrenheit. I thought this was Summer there and that we could expect the weather to be considerably warmer. I suppose if that is what it is, we'll just have to muddle through? Is this in fact the case?

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Paul S

Hi Murray,

Where did you read this? I cannot think of any place in Australia that would go that low at that time of year except for maybe the Snowy Mountains high country and southern areas of Tasmania but even then it would not be the norm.

It will still be very warm to hot in most areas of Australia in Feb.

Cheers

Paul S

Old Dec 29th, 2002, 10:08 PM
ALF

February in New Zealand is glorious - perhaps some evening temperatures in the South Island might drop to 55-65 degrees F, but daytime temps will be typical of late summer/early Fall in Northern California.

Oz will be warmer still, even Tassie. Northern and central Australia will be downright hot. Bring a light windbreaker for the evening, and you will be fine.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 04:24 PM
pat

Did the same 12 day cruise around NZ/Australia last year. NZ was cool, gray and rainy. I think we got 2 good days that had some sunshine. 55 to 65 sounds about right. In Australia, it was very hot! We about roasted trying to do the Bondi beach walk in Sydney. Tasmania had perfect weather.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 04:27 PM
pat

I forgot to mention, we went in February too, on the Regal Princess. We had a good time anyway, so go!

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 12:37 PM
David

Here in Auckland the weather can best be described as changeable. The last week or so has been fantastic but before that we were all wondering if summer was coming.
Pat, I think I remember a number of posts from you regarding your upcoming trip last year. Last Summer was poor and you are right, from a weather standpoint February was disappointing. The best weather last year arrived in April strangely enough. Having told friends from Australia who were visiting to bring warm clothing they spent the two weeks in shorts and T-shirts and had to borrow some of ours!!

Where is this going? Murray, you should get warm dry (relative term for Auckland) weather in February. The odds are on your side. Even if its wet, the daily temperature should reach 20 C at a minimum.

David