First Trip To Australia

Jul 16th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

First Trip To Australia

When is the best time of year to visit Australia?
Jul 16th, 2010, 03:00 PM

It would be helpful if you let us know what parts of Australia and what time of year.
Jul 16th, 2010, 03:57 PM

Yes, it's pretty much like asking the best time of year to visit the USA. We do tropical monsoons, blizzards, baking deserts, balmy subtropical and cool temperate climes, you name it. What parts of the country appeal? And unless you're planning an unusually long stay you'll have to be selective - as I'm sure you know, Australia is about the size as the "Lower 48" states of the USA.
Jul 17th, 2010, 09:49 AM

I don't like sweeping generalizations, but taking Australia as whole, I would say spring (say Oct-Nov) and autumn (April-May). Not too hot up north, not too cool down south. Same as coming to the USA: Sept-Oct and May-June are the best time to come, overall.

Keep in mind that while Australia is roughly the same size and dimensions of the Lower 48, it lies closer to the equator with the top third of the county being in the tropics (no part of the Lower 48 lies in the tropic zone). This means that, all in all, Australia is warmer than the USA: only the higher mountain ranges in the south usually experience bitter cold and snowfall. Even during a winter visit, you'll find quite pleasant weather (not necessarily beach weather) over much of the country.

Think the only time I'd avoid is Dec-Jan during the peak combined summer/Christmas holiday. Not only is it very hot just about everywhere, you'll find booking and getting around more difficult due to the number of Australians out on the road and on the beaches.
Jul 25th, 2010, 12:49 PM

Last August/September I took my mother to visit family and the town where she grew up. We were primarily in Sydney, Mackay, Queensland region and the Whitsundays. She chose the time of year based on her knowledge of the weather: not too hot/humid and less chance of rain. This was end of Winter/ early Spring. It was beautiful weather, although quite humid up North. Sydney was very comfortable, about 72 degrees. (We are used to Northern California weather).
Jul 25th, 2010, 09:13 PM
SnR

We went to Oz in 2004 in July--cool in the Blue Mtns (it snowed after we were there) but lovely everywhere else--hot in Darwin, had just rained at Uluru so the brush was very green. Then in 2007 we went for the month of October. Coolish south of Sydney (but comfortable, except on the whale watching boat. We went to the St. Vincent's store and bought jackets then gave them back after we were finished.) Hot but not stifling in Far North Queensland, lovely in the Whitsundays. There was a period of time where it was very, very windy which made us miss a snorkeling opportunity, but the people said that was unusual. From what I have gathered, the weather is quite changeable nowadays.