What to do in 10 days around Cairns and Townsville

Old Jul 18th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

What to do in 10 days around Cairns and Townsville

Hello

I am a certified scuba diver who will be visiting Australia in late August. i understand that the Yongala is one of the best dive sites in the world, so I will fly into Cairns and drive down to Towsnville to do a day drive trip, spend a few nights in Townsville, and return to cairns.

I am looking for suggestions on things to do during this week. Any input would be appreciated especially if you have done such activities yourself. I am an active single 40 year old male if this is helpful.

Thanks

Steve
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 04:47 PM

Some places for you to start your researchbr /> www.greattropicaldrive.com.au/
www.athertontablelands.com.au/
www.yungaburra.com/
As there is so much to do you might like to fly to Townsville and take the car from there to Cairns.
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 08:57 PM

Reef Magic out of Cairns is running a half day whale watching trip out of Cairns in August that may be of interest. www.reefmagiccruises.com
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 05:32 AM

Heaps to see and do in the area. You might consider staying somewhere en route, including somewhere on the Atherton Tablelands. A few specific suggestions: 1) Wallaman Falls (inland from Ingham) is Australia's highest waterall. Though the flow could be at a Dry Season low, it's a nice view, plus the stream above the falls is a good place for platypus spotting. There is other wildlife about too - we saw a casowary there. 2) the Undara lava tubes, a fascinating spot and another great wildlife spotting location. Some interesting walks too. Undara is an hour or so drive from the Atherton Tablelands. It has a real outback feel. You'll need to spend at least one night. 3) Hinchinbrook Island -wild, rugged and untouched. There's a resort on the northern tip. Perhaps a couple of nights there?

BTW, I liked the town of Ingham. Not commercialized, a sugar town, a real place. Do stop for a beer or two at Station Hotel...a classic Aussie pub.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 05:40 AM

Esplanade in cairns is most visited place by the tourist. The outdoor amphitheatre, swimming lagoon, shady picnic places as well as the Great Barrier Reef are the amazing features of the city. The place esplanade is also seen as a haven for bird watchers since it is internationally renowned for bird migration.

Try visiting these places and enjoy yourself.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 12:58 AM

On your way to/from Townsville it may be worth stopping off at Mission Beach. We enjoyed our time there and did a days diving as a tune up for our liveaboard out of Cairns. It is a quiet place but ok for a day or two - The Sanctuary right in the rainforest is a different type of place to stay (although not convenient without a car)

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog...7620/tpod.html
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 05:27 AM

If you hop over to Magnetic Island, only about a 30 min ferry ride from Townsville, you can see koalas in the wild. Am pretty sure this is the most northerly part of Australia where you'll see them. Good beaches, scenery, hiking, wallabies on the beach. Don't hire a Mini Moke on the island, they're overpriced, and the rates for taking a car on vehicular ferry are over the top. There's a good bus service on the island which will take you around for a few $'s.
Old Jul 25th, 2010, 10:35 PM
SnR

If you love diving, you might consider going on a liveaboard. We are snorkelers, but the Spirit of Freedom was awesome, and all the divers loved it, too. We did the 3 day Cod Hole and Ribbon Reef trip. They go to parts of the reef that are not regularly visited, so they are pristine. Most of the dives were either drifts or pinnacles, with loads to see. Also, the drive up to Daintree park is a must, we did it on our own but there are plenty of tours. We did a guided hike at Cooper River which was great. Dan Irby's evening boat trip on the Daintree is also a neat experience, we've done it twice. Happy planning!
Sally in Seattle