Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Is February a good time to go to Australia and New Zealand?

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 01:02 PM
margo

I read the message by the recent poster about the best time to go to Australia and have further questions. My husband and I are trying to escape the winter in Washington DC and were considering an Elderhostel tour that spends 2 weeks in New Zealand and 2 weeks in Australia. The places in New Zealand are: Auckland, Rotorus, Queenstown, Invercargill, And Christchurch. And the places in Australia are: Melbourne, Alice Sp[rings, Ayers Rock, Cairns and Sidney.

Now I know the weather can't be ideal in all those places at the same time, but what do you think about February? Should we consider another month of the year?

Also do you think that these places will give a good representation of the the two countries?

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 07:32 PM
liz

I would take out Invergargil from your NZ trip and Alice Springs and Ayers Rock from your Australian trip. Sydney will ( or should ) be really nice barring a heat wave of major proportions and the same can be said for Melbourne. Cairns will be hot and humid and in February you have the possibility of rain ( Monsoonal type) but as the weather has been as silly as anything could get, nothing is for sure at all. You might either add Tasmania to your Australian trip or perhaps say the Gold Coast and northern New South Wales region but as you only have 2 weeks in Australia then I would be doing just Sydney and Cairns because you need about 5 days in Sydney and certainly one week in Cairns - you could add then a stopover on the Gold Coast and live it up at some lovely resort.
The centre of Australia will be about 110F degrees at least and unbearable. The flies are a problem at that time of year too away from the coast and it is not condusive weather for doing anything ( think Death Valley. Ca.).

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 07:33 PM
liz

Sorry about the gramatical errors in my above post. Didn't proof read it!
Liz

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 09:09 PM
Christa

Feb. is a great month for NZ.

Summer is still in the air, the weather is usually still hot and sunny and swimming is not out of the question either.

Your route through NZ seems to offer plenty of opportunity to see some of the best spots.

PAck something warm and showerproof, you never can tell in NZ, to say the weather is unpredictable here is an understatement.

Enjoy....

Old Nov 30th, 2002, 10:23 PM
David

Sounds great. New Zealand weather in February will be the best you will get. Your itinery looks fine. Australian temperatures will be alot warmer that time of year so it would be wise to avoid Ayers Rock

David

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 08:08 AM
Nick

Agree with Liz . Liz, by the way it is sandgroper, grouper is the fish.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 01:07 PM
brad

Feb. is beautiful time to go. NZ weather is crazy because it's so different. Skip Christchurch, boring. Just add more time in Queenstown or Rotorua, or go further north to the Bay of Islands.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 06:07 PM
fred

NZ in Feb is supposed to be one of the 'better' months to go, ie, warm but not too wet.
However Feb in Australia, esp Cairns, Ayers Rock etc, will be HOT!