Best Time to Visit Australia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am planning to spend a month visiting Sydney and Queensland (GBR).Which is better - Sept/Oct or Jan/Feb? Grateful for advice.
Mary
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 02:25 PM

I would say probably Sept/Oct as that time weather should be good in both places although you probably might not find it warm enough to swim in Sydney. Also I believe it may be the rainy season in GBR in Jan/Feb but others may have better knowledge of that than me. Also February ( and this year January) is humid in Sydney. I was in Port Douglas in September one year and it was hot but lovely.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:58 AM

I agree, but if you want beach weather in Sydney, January and February would be the best. It will be hot in Cairns and rainy with lots of "stuff" in the water.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for your advice but it looks now as though the Sept/Oct option may not be available. I'm currently going through the Australia thread trying to decide where to stay in Queensland. Whether to stay in one place (say Palm Cove)and use it as a base or whether to move around.
Mary
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 07:43 AM

Recommend you spend part of your Queensland leg further south if it has to be Jan/Feb. The Sunshine Coast (particularly Noosa) and Fraser Island are wonderful that time of year.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 12:37 PM

Am a Cairns local. Jan/Mar is wet season. Avoid. Stingers in water. Beaches closed though nets in at Palm Cove so you can swim. Humid, showery. All tour boats to GBR operate regardless as no stingers right out to sea and boats provide you with stinger suits for snorkelling. Perfect months from about Townsville down. Gorgeous in Syd, Bris, Sun Coast. Feb cheaper as kids have gone back to school. Best Nth Qld weather Apr-Oct.