Tickets for Rugby game in NZ...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Dunedin on 30th of April...there is a match between the Highlanders (NZ) and the Waratahs (OZ).
Any suggestions about purchasing tickets????
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:08 PM

You should not have any problems getting a ticket on the day of the match. Rugby games do not sell out in most cases unless it's a major international competition.

Recently I bought a ticket to a game in Sydney between 2 local Sydney teams (last year's champion and many times champions with bad blood between the teams) on the day of the match.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:17 PM

I may be wrong AA Flyer but I think you saw a Rugby League game while Bailey is talking about Rugby Union - BIG difference!!
Bailey I am sure one of our NZ experts will be able to tell you about tickets in Dunedin.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks.....my husband would love to go this match.
He was one of the founders of the Old Blue here in the States.....he's all hyped....so if anyone has any advice???
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 02:34 PM

I do realize it's a different game, but ticket availibility is still fairly easy. I came close to attending a Rugby Union match in Auckland and the hotel concierge told me just to go to the stadium box office before the game.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 03:06 PM

Hi Bailey

A couple of links to getting tix for a super12 match are below.

http://www.nzru.co.nz/index.cfm?layo...landersTickets

http://www.ticketdirect.co.nz/

You could also call 0800 Carisbrook once you are in New Zealand.

Word to the wise. Unless you like sitting with 10,000 rowdy students (Who are in the main pretty well behaved but sometimes a little "tired and emotional&quot avoid getting tickets for the terrace. Plus if the weather is threatening it would be better to get seats undercover anyway.

Enjoy. Dunedin is a great city and the house of pain is a great stadium (if a little dated) to watch football.

I hope the weather picks up for you. I am in Southland today and the weather has unfortunately taken a turn for the worst cool and wet. Only around 10 degrees celsius. Snow on the hills looks great though.

Cheers

Steve
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone!!!

Steve...many, many...many...many thanks!!
Just purchased 2 tickets to the House of Pain...Main section, undercover!!
Thank you for taking the time to send me the info!!
Also thanks for the heads up re: the weather......I don't mind the cold & rain...spent too many years in the dessert (Phoenix Arizona)!!
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 04:16 PM

Bailey,
So glad you were able to get the tickets, and undercover - it should be a great game, especially since the Waratahs are out to prove they can remain in first place and not fizzle out as has happened the last few years.
The Super 12 is a really good concept and the competition is fierce.
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 05:21 PM

It should be a good game. I am picking the Mighty Highlanders to knock the Warratahs off the top of the table.

Bailey, depending upon where you are staying there are several options of where you can stop off to "warm your insides a little" on the way back from the game.

Carisbrook is not an impossible walk from the centre of town. about two miles and it is not hilly. Along the way there are several pubs to stop off at. They have probably all changed their names since I lived in Dunedin, but there used to be the Kensington, by the old railway workshops, the Southern Tavern on the otherside of the Oval. The Rugby was along Princes street on your left (Up a side street a few metres) plus several others conveniently placed every couple of hundred metres along Princes Street into the Octagon.

Enjoy the game and may the Highlanders win and go on to lift the trophy.

Cheers

Steve
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

My husband is a sportwriter here in the US.....he covers NFL Football. So I've seen a lot of US football but never a rugby match. I'm very excited!
He played rugby with the Old Blues til he was 39...he was really an OLD Blue. When I showed him the e-mail tickets, he cried!!
I think he's happy!!

Steve we're staying out on the Otago Penisula...Margate-by-the-Sea...it's a little house that we are renting!!

But YES...we will be hitting the pubs!

Once again everyone...thanks!!!
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

STEVE....
You mentioned that the stadium is close to the city.....which direction?
Couldn't find it on the map!!
Is Carisbrook the name of the stadium?
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 09:15 PM

Hi Bailey

Yes the correct name for the stadium is Carisbrook aka the 'Brook and of course the house of pain.

It is in the suburb of Dunedin South (Although the folk of Caversham also try to claim it as theirs.) It is approximately 3 kms SSW of the Octagon.

If you are out on the peninsula you will end up either on Portsmouth Drive or Andersons Bay Road when you are coming into town. To get to Carisbrook you need to turn left onto Hillside road from Andy Bay Road (or left into Orari Road from Portsmouth Drive if coming in on that road. Orari turns into Hillside road when you cross Andy Bay Road.) Drive on untill you see the crowds starting to build. Parking is as tight as the proverbial around the park so you may have to walk a wee way. The streets around there are a bit narrow too making parking even more of a premium. Some enterprising souls though let you park in their driveways and on their sections for 5 or 10 dollars. This can save the hassle of finding your own park on the street.

Ask your hosts what the best option vis a vis parking is as I am sure things may well have changed since I lived there.

The stadium its self is on the corner of Burns and Neville streets.

Have fun and enjoy the game.

Cheers

Steve
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Steve,
You are a dream....can't thank you enough for your help!!

We are thrilled to be returning to New Zealand...and people like you are one of the main reasons!!
Cheers,
Linda
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:11 PM

Linda, I am so excited for you! have a fabulous time!