Tasmania itenary help

Old Jan 14th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tasmania itenary help

Am planning a 6 day trip to Tasmania in April around Easter. My parents who are 60+ and my son who is 9 will be travelling with us. Planning to fly to HObart and leave from Launceston. Need help with fixing the itenary and the must do things
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 03:20 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you are interested in the west coast wilderness areas with only 6 nights, I'd go Hobart (1-2 nights), 1-2 nights at Lake St Claire, 1 night Strahan (there's a fantastic river cruise1), then finally Cradle Mountain (2 nights).

Old Jan 15th, 2009, 02:00 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Port Arthur is a must for any trip to Tasmania. I think unless you can have more days the West i.e. Strahan and Cradle Mt are far too rushed as you will spend all of your time driving to get there and back.
If you spend most of your time in the south i.e. Port Arthur, Hobart ( particularly if you are in Hobart for a Saturday for the markets) checking out Battery Point and the wharf area, then the Huon for a bit of wine and dining and beautiful and varied scenery etc, then drive through to New Norfolk en route to Mt Field National Park for some wilderness and then on up to Bothwell and across to the Midland Highway and up through all of the little convict built villages to Launceston. There is not a lot of driving time in that lot but there is a lot to see and diversity as well.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for that. Just got the tickets done, and flying to and from Launceston not HObart. Tickets were expensive to Hobart for my dates. So now having done that. Could i possibly do a circle in 6 days?
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 10:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes you can do a circle in 6 days if you want to do nothing but drive. We in Tasmania do not have motorways except for a reasonably good road from Launceston to Hobart so the drive times are not what you expect - it takes longer and there is more to see. I still stand by my original comments
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you tell me how far is Strahan to Cradle MOuntains? How long is the drive?
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 11:24 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Lizzy. Now that Im landing on and departing from Launceston, where all do you suggest i spend my 6 days. I know i want to see Port Arthur, was thinking Cradle Mountain as well - but you think thats too far out? Need some ideas here. Thanks
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 11:44 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Buku,

the drive from Cradle to Strahan is about 2-2.5 hours, depending on how often you stop for photos etc

If you were landing in Launceston I think a trip to Strahan and Cradle would use all of your time. There are walks at Cradle and it is particularly good for wildlife viewing, http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...3&tid=35128285

There is a scenic cruise on the Gordon River and also a popular rail trip from Strahan-Queenstown or v.v. that I like to do. There is a jet boat trip up the King River and if you feel like splurging big time you could think about Piners & Miners. In April, you might be lucky to see the shearwaters returning to their rookery at Ocean Beach on dusk - check with the rangers at the Bond Store Office. Many of the Strahan activities are listed here http://www.puretasmania.com.au/default.asp?pID=45 and an alternative boat cruise is available from http://www.worldheritagecruises.com.au/ I think the old town of Zeehan is worth a look as it has a wondeful streetscape and the Spray Tunnel behind the town is a reminder of the early mining days. The Pioneers Museum is very interesting and containing memories of early days on the west coast. You could continue on up the coast to Granville and Trial Harbours (check the conditions on your rental car contract as these are gravel roads) for some coastal scenery - take a picnic?

Please do not consider going to Strahan without pre-booked accommodation as the town is often booked out and you could end up in either Queenstown or Zeehan or on a busy day further north at Tullah.

I usually recommend Risby Cove accommodation as I have heard good reports from friends who have stayed there, http://www.risby.com.au/, Gordon Gateway Cottages are also popular with views over the town and the Regatta Point Tavern has family accommodation available in cottages. Aldermere Estate is away from the waterfront and offers a 4.5 star (I think) alternative. Anyway, there is a great deal of accommodation to suit all budgets and tastes, however book as far in advance as possible for the widest choice.

Enjoy your Tasmanian holiday,

Pol
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 11:47 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buku -

If it were me and I was arriving/departing from Launceston, I'd definitely spend a few days in Cradle Mountain. You could drive on to Strahan, and then back towards Launceston for departure. There's plenty to keep you busy around Launceston for a few days, especially if you're interested in walks and wine.

There's just no way you're going to see all of TAS in six days unless you want to live in your car.

Here's some info on travel distances to get you started:

http://www.discovertasmania.com/trav..._and_distances
Old Jan 16th, 2009, 01:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellant suggestions above - you need time in Cradle Mt as its in the evening that you will see the animals running about. Same with Strahan - take the little steam train ride from Queenstown - visit Queenstown as its an interesting place. There are the Mole Creek caves en route to Cradle Mt which are really lovely, you can also see some of the Tarkine area - another wilderness area north of Strahan. Then there is Stanley and the Nut to the North West - Sheffield the town with the murals, Deloraine which is near the best of all cheese factory - the raspberry farm with all its wonderful things made with raspberries, the chocolate factory, places like Longford ( historic) Evandale ( historic) or drive up to Beauty Point north of Launceston to the Sea Horse exhibit and the platypus exhibit and all the lovely wineries around that area. You have got plenty to do and see in the north to keep you happy for weeks. Enjoy and relaxed and pleasant time in northern Tassie - come back another time for the south.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any suggestions for where to stay at Cradle Mountains please?
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 10:33 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We enjoyed our stay at Cradle Mountain Wilderness Village.

http://www.cradlevillage.com.au/
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 02:03 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We stayed at Cradle Mountain Lodge which is a bit expensive but it is in a brilliant location right next to the National Park. They do have cheaper deals if you check the Voyages website. You will see animals right outside your cabin in the morning and at dusk: wombats, poteroos, wallabies et al.