Search

GOR or Adelaide or Where

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GOR or Adelaide or Where

Dear all Aussie lovers:

I have to make a decision very soon to fix my itinerary. I am in a decision on where to go apart from Melbourne and Sydney (the 2 places are a must), I will have 2 weeks in Australia and here are the fixed dates of my itinerary:

Arrive at Melbourne on Sept 21: to visit my husband!|s family, visit Ballarat / Lavendar farm?, etc.

Leave Melbourne for Adelaide by air or for GOR by car for 2 / 3 nights (your input required here)

Leave either Melbourne / Adelaide for Sydney on Sept 29 and stay for 5 nights in Sydney: to visit our family / friends, do the blue mountain, hunter valley etc.

If go for GOR, I probably would stay in Mel for 3 nights, then drive and stay in Lorne and Port Fairy for 1 night each, then return to Melbourne for another 2 nights before flying to Sydney. (Pls comment here)

If go for Adelaide, I probably would stay in Mel for a consecutive 5 nights, then fly to Adelaide for 3 nights. (Pls comment here)

Or please do recommend other places. Pls comment asap, since I need to fix dates for flight / or hotels very very soon.

Thx
Daisy
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 10:27 PM
Original Poster

Dear all:

I have been rethinking the above itinerary. Here are some of my new thoughts:

I am thinking that Husband and I may do both GOR and Adelaide in a total of 9D/8 nights trip by Option 1: car + air or Option 2: by car only, apart from Sydney of 5 nights,

Option 1 - By Car and Air: Stay 4 nights in Melbourne, drive to visit 12 Apostles and stay for 1 night, return to Melbourne for 1 more night (!¥cos we need to catch an early flight), then fly to Adelaide and stay for 2 nights. My question is if 2D/1N is enough to experience the GOR driving and most importantly the 12 apostles.

Option 2 - By Car: Stay 4 nights in Melbourne, drive to 12 apostles to stay for 1 night, keep driving to around Mt. Gambier (or anywhere you suggest is about the mid-pt of the driving route) and stay for 1 night, and then drive all the way to Adelaide and stay for 2 nights. My questions is if 1) Mt. Gambier a logical break pt as a mid-way of the driving route and 2) my husband and I don!|t want to drive hard, we expect that we could drive for 2 hours, stop and relax, then go on for 2 hours and that!|s it for 1 day driving, and stay for an overnight.

Option 3: Just stick with my first thought of the itinerary as in the 1 email,,,,i.e. have to choose between Adelaide and GOR.

Your earliest reply is very appreciated.

Thx for reading my emails.
Daisy
Old Sep 2nd, 2003, 11:53 PM

I'd go for the GOR - either your initial option of 2 nights ( Apollo Bay and one Port Fairy) and then either of the back to Melbourne or onto Adelaide. If you choose the Adelade trip Mt Gambier is one option - but you might enjoy Robe more - small, quaint sea-side village. it's a bit further on - but quite do-able from Port Fairy. There are lots of accom options along the GOR - and they have a website at www.tourvic.com.au/ocean_road that will give you more options than the main towns.
In Ballarat - try and visit Soverign Hill - it's fabulous and it's a bit early for the lavender farm!
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 12:11 AM
Original Poster

MaryK:
How long would it take to drive from Port Fairy to Mt Gambier or Robe, and then from there to Adelaide? Or I should need to stay for 1 more night in between Port Fairy and Adelaide?

Thx
Daisy
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 10:30 PM

I thoroughly agree with the suggestion to stay at Port Fairy which is very pretty and has a great range of accommodation and eating places. You can easily drive Melbourne to Port Fairy in one day allowing enough time to stop and look along the way. Last time we did this trip we left Melbourne about 9.30am and got into Port Fairy about 5 pm. If time allows, have a look at Tower Hill (between Warrnambool and Port Fairy).
Port Fairy to Mt Gambier is about 230 km, then another 125 km to Robe. I'd definitely prefer Robe for an overnight stop although Mt Gambier is a very pleasant town.
Robe to Adelaide is 340 km, a large stretch of this is along the Cooroong which is a great opportunity for bird watching.
Another alternative (if you are into wine) is to head north from Mt Gambier to Penola to sample the red wines.