Search

Sydney trip July 2009

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sydney trip July 2009

Hello all! We are new to Fodors and would really appreciate all suggestions. Me and my wife are planning a 10 day trip to Australia in July 09. We want to visit Sydney
(6 days) and the Great barrier reef area (4 days).

For Sydney we have narrowed down places that we would like to see and they are: Sydney Harbour bridge (climb), Opera house, The Observatory, St. Mary's cathedral, Sydney jewish Musuem, Rocks discovery museum, national maritime museum and the Art gallery of New South Wales.

We both like art, history and learning about different cultures and trying new foods/cuisine. Also we are travelling on a small budget.

1. Are there any places that are a must see in Sydney that we missed on our list?
2. Decent Hotel accomodation (cheap clean places to crash in the night). Something in the city from where we could access mass transit to travel to all the places above? Have heard about apartments that are comparitively cheaper than hotels? Any suggestions from prior experiences?

Thanks!
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 03:28 PM

As for somewhere cheap to stay you can always plug your budget ammount into sites like www.wotif.com.au and see what comes up.
http://www.australianheritagehotel.com/ if you can make do without an ensuite is a real treat, the greatest in size, bed and character original heritage style rooms you could wish for - just like sleeping in a museum.
See if you can book a room away from Harbour Bridge side and you'll not miss a bridge intermittent early hours metallic clang but possibly even get a Harbour/Opera House view, one from the loo anyway and you're right in rocks area, just a five minute walk from Circular Quay for ferries, trains and buses.

Want something different, slum yourself in a converted old Railway Car at the www.yha.com.au Railway Square, great quiet and comfy beds.

Powerhouse Museum over near Darling Harbour is worth a visit and if you want to save some money on the Bridge Climb itself, there is a historical presentation in the South East Pylon for about 10% of climb cost and re the climb. you'll need to book ahead though weather in July could be dodgy.

In the Rocks you'll find a Sizable and well stocked Visitors Information Centre and ask [ they may not all be on display] for the historical walking tour guides, about six in all on different themes.

Queen Victoria building is also worth a visit and for somewher quaint out of town to stay and enjoy some natural art, you could do worse than http://www.jenolancaves.org.au/
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 03:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Zammit,
Most of the places you mention are within easy walking distance of Circular Quay/The Rocks. Perhaps not the Jewish Museum - I'm not sure just where that is but think it might be in Woollahara (Eastern Suburbs).

"Cheap" is a relative term, so if you give us an indication of $ range you have in mind, it will be easier for people to give you recommendations.

You might have a look at www.wotif.com.au for an indication of what you might expect. Quite a few people like the Lord Nelson hotel in The Rocks.
Old Mar 18th, 2009, 05:16 PM

Hi Bokhara - Jewish Museum's in Darlinghurst, on Darlinghurst Rd, I think. Jewish Synagogue in Elizabeth St opposite Hyde Park. Or at least it used to be.

zamit - for budget, friendly and helpful owner, clean, have heard a lot of good things about Hotel 59, Bayswater Rd, Rushcutters Bay. Easy access to everywhere you've listed, either bus or train and a few walkables.

St Mary's Cathedral is on College St side of Hyde Park, nearby at the north end of the same park is St James Church (Anglican), interesting history and designed by convict architect, Francis Greenway.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bushranger. Both Powerhouse Museum and Jenolan caves look interesting. wotif.com will be a big help.
Old Mar 19th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks bokhara2 and pat_woolford!
wotif.com is a big help. After converting the currency the hotel prices don't seem that expensive. We might be able to stay in one of the accor group of hotels.
once again Thank you all!
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 03:43 AM

You must see one of our gorgeous Sydney beaches. It will be too cold to swim, but a walk along the beach is lovely in winter. Take a ferry from Circular Quay (near the Rocks) to Manly. When you get off the ferry walk along 'the corso' which is an outdoor mall for want of a better description. At the end of the corso you will come to the surf beach. Anyone can direct you if you can't find your way. Enjoy a coffee/lunch etc and stroll along the boardwalk or on the sand if it's a nice day. The ferry ride will give you a lovely view of the gorgeous harbour. Catch the ferry back to Circular Quay when you have had enough.

If Manly beach doesn't appeal, then you could catch a ferry to Taronga Zoo. When you get there catch a ride to the top of the hill and then make your way through the zoo back to the ferry stop. This zoo would have to have the best harbour views in the world!!

I hope you love our beautiful city......
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 03:45 AM

Forgot to say that I personally think that Jenolan Caves is too far to go when you are only in Sydney for 6 days. You will spend an entire, very long day doing this and may or may not enjoy it. Just my opinion.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 08:23 PM

As Pat says the Jewish Museum is in Darlinghurst. You would get a 389 bus from Circular Quay and ask the driver to put you out at the St Vincents Hospital stop. It is on/close to the corner of Darlinghurst Road (no.148).And yes the Great Synagogue is where she mentioned. If you keep an eye out the left hand side of the bus, you will see the Museum on the Darlinghurst Road corner as you go slightly past it to the bus stop.
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 03:58 AM

Must sees? Oh, so subjective!! But don't miss out on the ferries - take as many as possible! There are several that will deposit you at the start of one of the many gorgeous walks around the harbour. Sydney Ferries publish a brochure with details of these (pick one up from the info office at Circular Quay), plus tips on what there is to do in some of the suburbs the ferries serve - Balmain is a classic example. You can make a weekend day out of taking the ferry there, checking out the markets, bussing it to Sydney Fish Market and back to Darling Harbour. Is it a "must see"? Dunno. Bit of a daft concept really (smile).

But, seriously, you have missed the Botanic Gardens (perfectly combined with SOH and AGNSW) and my favourite Museum is the Museum of Sydney. Hyde Park Barracks is interesting too.

Some people would say the clifftop (oceanside) walk from Bondi to Bronte or Coogee (depends how far you want to go) is a highlight. I think I agree with that.

What else? Oh, for sure, a PERFORMANCE at the SOH is a bit special. And walking ACROSS the bridge.

Better stop now.

Cheers.
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 05:29 PM

I'd add that Chinatown (including a meal) is a "must." Yum Cha (Dim Sum) at East Ocean was highlight of our visit. And with six days in Sydney, I'd definitely take one full day to visit the Blue Mountains.
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you who replied to my Post. I really appreciate it. I have added Chinatown, Hyde Park and a few other places that you suggested.
Thanks!
Old Apr 12th, 2009, 06:34 PM

In July especially, I'd suggest 4 days in Sydney and 6 days up north - unless indoor/city stuff is more your thing.