Search

1st time in sydney

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2008, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st time in sydney

I'm staying here in August -Leisure Inn Suites Kings Cross.

Below is my itinery - can aussie experts help me ? Is below too much to visit? help me to reorganise the places of which should I go first

17/8/2008
1. The Rocks Market
2. Powerhouse Museum
3. Chinatown
4. Paddy Market
5. Market City Mall
6. CentrePoint Tower

18/08/2008

1. The Rock
2. Darling Harbour
3. Opera House
4. Taroonga Zoo by Zoo Express
5. Luna Park

19/08/2008
1. Sydney Observatory
2. Sydney Tower
3. Queen Victoria Building
4. Sydney Town Hall
5. Pitt St Mall
6. Australian National Maritime Museum
7. Sydney Aquarium and Wildlife World
8. Sydney Wildlife

20/08/2008
1. Australian Museum
2. Hyde Park
21/08/2008
Check-out
Taxi back to airport

Old May 13th, 2008, 09:48 PM

Hi Azlyn,
The problem with your itinerary is aht the sites are all over the place. Do you have a good map?

eg. Assuming that #1 on 18/8 is actually "The Rocks" it makes no sense to go to The Rocks Market on a different day. Ditto all the sites in Darling Harbour, eg #2 on 17/8 and #6 and 7 on 19/8.
Chinatown, Paddy's Market are also nearby.
Queen Victoria Building is near the Town Hall, and a short walk from Pitt St Mall, where you'll find Centrepoint.
Hyde Park is near the Australain Museum, but you may prefer The Art Gallery of NSW - a much nicer venue unless you're keen on natural history. A nice walk is from the Art Gallery through the Botanic Gardens to the Opera House [and then to Circular Quay and the Rocks if you enjoy walking].

I would leave out Luna Park - not much there now. You seem to have overlooked the Bridge itself. You don't need to do the Climb, which is very expensive. You can just walk across it, and you can ascend the South East Pylon for higher views - the latter for a small fee.

You should also have a look at a few of our lovely beaches - there are many to choose from. The water will be too cold for swimming, but they're great to walk along in Winter.
What is the Zoo Express? It's nice to go there by ferry from Circular Quay. In any case you should catch a ferry somewhere - perhaps to Manly, where there are both ocean and harbour beaches.

As for the ones I haven't mentioned from your list - none would be priorities for me, but it depends on your own interests..shopping, science, fauna etc.
Old May 13th, 2008, 11:15 PM

Suelynne has given you very sound advice. I'll just further prune back your itinerary.

I would scrap all of the things for day 1, except have dinner at Golden Century in Chinatown--fabulous seafood. The Rocks market (weekends only) is sort of frou-frou souvenirs, pot pourri, badly painted pictures etc. Unless you like that kind of thing, I'd avoid it.

The Powerhouse Museum would merit a visit if there's a good temporary exhibition on (I don't find the permanent collection is that interesting), there will be a show soon on Australian modernism that would be well worth visiting. However, usually they aim fairly low, recent shows include: Kylie's frocks, Princess Di's frocks. Buy the magazine Time Out to see what's on when you are here.

Suelynne has mentioned the Art Gallery of NSW, another two museums you might like to visit are: Museum of Sydney (which usually has good temporary shows), Museum of Contemporary Art (the shows are usually OK, but the cafe has a fabulous view and nice food).

The Sydney Biennale will be on during your visit so if you are interested in contemporary art there will be lots to see around the city (including Cockatoo Island).

You have a lot of shopping venues here: Market City Mall, Pitt st Mall, Queen Victoria Building, Darling Harbour. Of these, Queen Victoria Building, is a nicely restored building but the rest are pretty unremarkable.

I would highly recommend Taronga Park zoo, you could easily spend a whole afternoon there. The aquarium is also interesting.

I would also highly recommend: a harbour cruise (there's tons to choose from), the walk from Bondi Beach to Bronte Beach, going to the Opera House for some kind of live performance (the Studio has the cheapest tickets roughly $20).

Old May 14th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. my problem is I dont find any good map over the net and majority of it I don;t know the name of the places/street to locate.
Anyway, I'm traveling with my sister and her two kids so it would be 4 of us. it is better to travel by taxi or bus? any suggestions.

I've tried the 'sydney on the web' trying to figure out how to hop in and out from one place to another as I don't know the road name and bus number...this is very difficult for traveler like us... they even explain the type of passes they sell but I just can;t imagine it how to detour around that area and whether it is applicable to us or not...
Old May 14th, 2008, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

Any tips where to stay beside King Cross...I found out that this area is a red light place..2 adult and 2 children at Roslyn Inn charging us AUD467.00 for 4 nights (no breakfast)... most backpackers are cheap but charging us per head including children so it turn up to be much expensive than hotel..if anyone could give me some names of a good,clean, save,near city and below AUD100 per room per nite...pls let me know. We dont mine if its a B&B, hostel,guest house, temporary rental apartment or motel.
Old May 14th, 2008, 03:06 PM

I've just brought to the top a previous query about hotels under $100 dollars. If it slips down again, search for the post under "Sydney hotels." To search this site use the box above--there's lots of previous queries about hostels also.

For a map, can I suggest you get a good guidebook. If you are just coming to Sydney they have lots of single city books now, that will help you plan your trip.
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

can you suggest where to go about if we want to see sheeps skins shaving and fruit picking from Sydney and the mode of transport best to go
Old May 15th, 2008, 01:49 AM

Sorry to disappoint you azlyn but (to my knowledge)I don't think you will have a chance to see sheep shearing nor fruit picking near to Sydney.These are both country activities well outside Sydney and you appear to be here a few days only. Take note of the above advice and go for a ferry tip on the harbour , maybe to Manly and if you want to see the Rocks and the markets they are together, walk around the shopping areas, including Queen Vicoria Building.If you want to see Darling Harbour , you can see that area including the aquarium, Paddys market and Chinatown one day. I agree that the Art Gallery could be more interesting than the Museum depending on what your family likes.If you are staying in Kings Cross you can get frequent trains from there into the city in about 5 minutes. Within the city you could probably walk most places. Please come back to us if you need more advice. Good luck.
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:59 AM
Original Poster

thanks peter for the tips. Really appreciate it. Is this OK ?

17/8/2008
1. Powerhouse Museum
2. The Rock - Sydney Observatory
3. Taroonga Zoo by Ferry

18/08/2008

1. Paddy Market
2. Market City Mall
3. Darling Harbour
4. Australian National Maritime Museum
5. Sydney Aquarium and Wildlife World–closed at 10pm

19/08/2008

1. Queen Victoria Building
2. Sydney Town Hall
3. Pitt St Mall
4. CentrePoint Tower – closed at 9.30pm

20/08/2008
1. Australian Museum
2. Hyde Park
3. Opera House – show starts at 4.30pm
Old May 16th, 2008, 02:29 AM

azlyn, I suggest you get that guide book as soon as possible.

Your 19/08 itinerary is very light, unless you plan to spend a lot of time shopping, which is all you can do in Pitt Street Mall (just a street that's been turned into a pedestrian precinct) and the Queen Victoria Building.

The Town Hall is a nice Victorian civic building, but unless someone turned it into a tourist atraction while I wasn't looking, it's worth only a few minutes. Likewise, unless things have changed there's nothing to do at Centrepoint Tower other than take a lift to the top, check out the view and come back down again.

Your 20/08 itinerary is also very thin. Hyde Park is nice, but well, a park. Where are the suggested Harbour Bridge walk, trip to Bondi (pronounced "bond-eye", by the way) Beach, Manly Ferry excursion or harbour cruise?

As you don't want to spend a fortune I strongly suggest you pick up a Lonely Planet or Rough Guide to Sydney. It will be well worth the money, believe me. Check out any inner-city hostels that provide single rooms.

And I agree with Peteralan - Sydney is a sprawling, modern city of 4 million people, somewhat comparable with the San Francisco Bay area. You'll be hours away from any sheep shaving, and it's not the season anyway (they get cold if they're shorn in winter). There are orchards in the Hawkesbury Valley, 60-80 km northwest of the city, but as far as I know they haven't been turned into a tourist attraction.
Old May 16th, 2008, 05:33 PM

Neil,
Strange as it may seem many farmers prefer to shear during the winter - there is less chance of major fatalities such as happens in a cold snap during summer! Always seems vert unfair to me!
Old May 16th, 2008, 08:38 PM

prue, you've caught this townie out, big time. You'd think that living in a city in the middle of sheep grazing country I would have noticed that, but as my wife likes to remind me, my powers of observation aren't always razor sharp.

Old May 16th, 2008, 08:42 PM

azlyn, if these are the places you have chosen, I would do your Monday's plan on Sunday ( as Paddy's Market is only Thursday to Sunday ).You could then do your Monday itinerary on Sunday BUT you would have to start out early as the Zoo will take you several hours on its own.You will not see market at the Rocks as they are only on Sunday. Also you would need to drop the Powerhouse on that day as you won't have time. Tuesday you could do Queen Victoria Building, Town Hall, Pitt Street Mall and Centrepoint Tower in half a day and then go to the Powerhouse.On Wednesday if you are staying In Kings Cross and you don't mind walking, you can walk down William Street to the Aust Museum, then through Hyde Park to the Opera House.
Old May 16th, 2008, 11:41 PM

Hi there,

If you want to find cheap accommodation, try the following websites:

www.needitnow.com
www.lastminute.com

The others have mentioned taking a ferry trip and I strongly agree. Sydney harbour is absolutely stunning and while you will see some of the harbour on the Zoo trip, you could seriously do with another ferry trip.

Manly has been suggested and I couldn't agree more. It's half an hour on the ferry to Manly from Circular Quay. The beach is gorgeous, there are plenty of places to eat at and if it's a nice day, you can go kayaking. That will be more memorable than a trip to Pitt St Mall. Trust me on that one.

One thing many people don't understand is that the city centre of Sydney isn't that crash hot. It's just another city. But for a real Sydney experience, get on those ferries, visit those beaches or do some harbour walks.

And if you want more information on that, go to www.cityhobo.com - it's got good day trip suggestions which may make you reconsider some of your options.
Old May 19th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

A big Thank You to all of you. I really...really....realy appreciate it.
Old May 21st, 2008, 08:14 PM

Recently returned from Australia. We had a wonderful Yum cha lunch at Marigold on George St. near Paddy's market.

Paddy Market was a lot of junk. My husband described it as "just like Wal Mart but more expensive."

Loved: the Diana exhibit at the Powerhouse Museum and Sydney Bridge Climb. We took the ferry to Manly, better than a harbour tour and cheaper. Walk from the boat dock to the beach. Turn right and continue down the beach. At the end there is a walk and then a path to climb. Nice walk. Great views from the path.

Had a drink on the top of the Shangri La hotel. Great View. Maybe could skip the tower??

The Art Gallery of NSW (near the Australia Museum) had a terrific exhibit of Australian artists who won Archibald and Sulman prizes. Maybe gone now.

Australia Museum was wonderful.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:37 PM

My husband and I spent three months in Australia at the end of last year. We are Australians now living in Florida.
As you are going to Taronga Zoo, I would skip the Aquarium and Wildlife center at Darling Harbour. I think the entrance to those was $42. Instead I would take a bus or train to one of the local wildlife parks, i.e Waratah where you can get up close and personal with locals.
If you do go to Taronga by ferry (much nicer than bus) then get the gondola immediately to the top of the hill and meander down.
Centerpoint is over rated for a meal, but the view at sunset cannot be beaten.
Go to Manly by ferry, preferrably on a Saturday or Sunday when the sailboats are racing on the harbour. Pick up meat pies and luscious cakes on the traffic-free Corso and have a picnic on Manly beach at the far end of the Corso from the wharf.
You dont seem to be getting out of the city. A good bus trip would be to Palm Beach, stopping at one of the magnificent beaches for a fish and chips lunch. Question for a local - can you get a pass to hop on and off the bus?
Paddy's Market is great for souvenirs at a reasonable price. I liked the Australian coasters; the large book bags for $2; also CD holders for $2 with Aust. designs. Book marks are always a good gift.
You dont say how old the two children are - your itinerary may be a bit on the serious side for them.
Hope this helps.
I am afraid your stay in Sydney is too short for the least expensive accommodation - house sitting for free. Maybe next time.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 01:40 PM

In response to reasonable hotel, check out The Russell at the Rocks. Dont know the price, but think it is reasonable, and very central to everything.
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:26 PM

Get on the Bondi Explorer, a blue bus that does a round trip from the city to the eastern beaches such as famous Bondi, you can hop on and off as much as you like.

Another site for accommodation is stayz.com.au

Good luck and happy travels!

s
Old May 24th, 2008, 09:17 AM

We have just come back from Sydney and have some tips for you.
On arrival at the aiport, pick up the white guide book as it has good maps and vouchers off some attractions including the Sydney Bridge walk.
Buy a day travel ticket which includes the ferries - $16. you can go to Watsons Bay (have fish and chips at Doyles) / Manley Bay / Darling Harbour all from Central Quay.
Go to the fish markets and have lunch there as it is wonderful.
The Blue Mountains are well worth a visit and is only one hour away.
Featherdale Zoo is great although tucked away out of Sydney. You can stroke a Koala, feed Kangaroos and Emus and also see wombats, echidnas, dingos, and as many birds as you care to imagine. Beautiful.
Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -