Sydney Hotels: Four Seasons vs Marriott Sydney Harbour at Circular Quay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for the best accommodation with views of the opera house/bridge at a price within budget of not more than $450US/night. We'll be staying a week, so there are some constraints. Though these two might stretch the budget a bit, which of the two do you recommend?
Old Apr 18th, 2011, 03:19 PM

I'm not sure if you've selected these because you're collecting points.

There are other options e.g Inter Continental, Shangri-La and Park Hyatt.

I've stayed at the Four Seasons,it was 10 years ago, but from the room that I got, the shape of the windows (long and thin) don't really give you a good view of the harbour, personally I did not find the hotel anything special despite the price tag.

I haven't stayed at the Marriott but there is a massive Axa Office block that appears to be between it and the harbour, once again I don't think you'd get a great view.

Apart from the Park Hyatt, which is probably over $450, for me The Shangri-La looks the best option, have a look at www.wotif.com its probably the most common website used by Australians for hotels.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 01:17 PM

We stayed at the Four Seasons and our room had a terrific view of the entire harbor - from the bridge on our left to the opera house in the lower right center of the window to Botany Bay off in the distance. One of the best hotel room views we've had anywhere.
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 03:21 PM

Roamsaround, I could be wrong but to get a 180 view you must have been in a high rise suite and I'm assuming you did not pay around the $450 per night, more likely in the region of $1000 per night
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 04:39 PM

We stayed at the Four Seasons and the location is fantastic--so close to the ferries. I doubt you will find a better location but I am sure there are more luxurious rooms. We had a fantastic view of the bridge but the room was nothing special--not up to the Four Seasons brand. The lobby is very impressive and the concierge staff did a great job. We opted not to eat their ridiculously prices breakfast buffet and walked a block to McDonalds for an egg McMuffin!
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

According to the Four Seasons web site, the "harbour-view room" with view of the opera house, bridge, and harbour would range from 395 AUD to 550 AUD, averaging 444 AUD for the stay. That's probably a bit more than we want to pay but may be doable as our next location will be less expensive. No Points for us at Four Season but possibly at the Marriott, at which the "opera view" room would also be a little cheaper and include breakfast for 399 AUD. Since the hotels seem to charge a lot for breakfast, this is a plus! Most of the reports seem positive about each's location. Just wondered what other personal experiences there are out there.
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 10:32 PM

I'm actually at the Marriott right now. Last year I had a wonderful view of the Opera House and was treated to a firework show one night. This time I have a bridge view with some slices of the harbor on the other side of the bridge and it's not as impressive. The staff is awfully nice and the location is great but everything is very expensive. Ask for a recently remodled room.
Old Apr 22nd, 2011, 05:19 AM

Just to clarify - I don't remember the exact room price but it definitely WAS NOT the "$1,000/night high rise suite" Geordie mentioned.

We were in a more standard room and paid around $400 - as I recall we had unobstructed views and could see the bridge to our left and the opera house to our right.
Old Apr 27th, 2011, 10:28 AM

Can I recommend the Shangri la? ( I have also stayed at the 4S) we had the most amazing room with an amazing harbour bridge opera house view (I can't remember the category type) but they are all corner rooms. They were not overly expensive but OMG the views were to die for. The hotel is slightly up the hill from the 4s but a great location. Actually preferred this hotel to the 4s.