Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

What is the chicest Sydney hotel with a great harbour view?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been recommended the W Hotel in Sydney but would love to hear of another if there is one - I am going in March 05 for a week.
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 11:08 AM

Katherine22
Try The Hyatt, Quay West Suites, Shangri La, Four Seasons, The Harbour Marriott. You will need to ask for a harbour view room and, of course, they will cost extra $$$.
Most of these hotels have websites so do a search.
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 05:01 PM
WA

Katherine

I do not recall the W as havning an esp. good harbour view - we stayed at the Marriott with an opera view ($40.00 US extra) but we had to stand at the window. The Hyatt at the Rocks in actually on the habour but it depends on what you want from a habour view - the whole magila or a very cute harbour.
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 06:08 PM

Forget the Hyatt, Mariott, and Four Seasons in my opinion. Hyatt - overpriced and only 4 floors. Great to see Opera House, but better to be in skyscraper to get FULL VIEW. The Mariott faces the Harbour, but rooms/glass face to either side - giving a partial view only. Four Seasons sits right in front of Shangri-La but is half as tall and the rooms very tiny for the price compared to Shangri-La. My first pick would be Shangri-La in a "Grand Harbour View Room". 2nd pick: Quay West Suites - directly to the side of Shangri-La, about a block or two closer to Circular Quay. 3rd pick: Intercontinental. E-mail me if you'd like to see pictures from our room, [email protected].
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 10:10 PM
DJE

Try the Intercontinental in one of their club rooms which have access to new top floor club lounge. Fabulous view of Harbour, Opera House, Botanical gardens on three sides with floor to ceiling glass. Also have outside wraparound deck. Just Wonderful.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 01:46 PM

I'm glad everybody's been steering you away from the W; I don't know what the harbour view there would be like (not, I would imagine, the equal of some of the others mentioned above), but you would certainly be disappointed in the location, well away from the sights you cam to see in a not-very-inviting part of Sydney. All the other suggestions are more-or-less equal, depending on the particular room. If money was no object, my choice would be the Hyatt, but I'd specify that I MUST have a room that looks straight at Fort Denison. All you'll have between you and the blue water is a small strip of grass!
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 02:51 PM

what does "chicest" mean?
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 03:31 PM

Alan how was the sub continent?

Hope you all had a good trip.
AndrewDavid
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 03:46 PM

Johnj,

It's the kind of accomodation you expect when you and Jenny come to visit us in '06:

-dogs and duck sleeping bags
-open refrigerator self service room service
-weekly linen change
-one dog walk per day ( req'd of all guests)
-guest privleges at washer/dryer
-walk to town location
-optional napkin ring
-make your own breakfast privleges
-gift basket of purloined low rent hotel shampoo, conditioner and skin cream.

etc etc

A/D
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 03:17 PM
mjs

Cannot imagine a better view of the harbor in Sydney than from the Grand Quay unless you want to see the Opera house as well in which case you might want the Hyatt.
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 03:28 PM

Forget the W unless you like pretentious posing as "cutting edge"...I hate it but I like a bit of soul.The view would not be as good as many others and you would not be excited by the location. I'd seriously consider the Shangri La if you want a view. Best wishes for your stay here!
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 04:39 PM

I thought it was "choicest", but with a spelling error - just goes to show, eh!?

John - I'd worry about Sante Fe in '06 - just what is a dog and duck sleeping bag?

Old Nov 30th, 2004, 05:56 PM

As long as it is sante fe,nm and not
kelowna,bc.

Would the watsons bay hotel qualify as "chicest" with a great harbour view?
Old Nov 30th, 2004, 08:00 PM

JJ: We are still researching Kelowna, but are presently in Santa Fe. Not to worry.
AD
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 02:58 AM

How was it, Alan? I think we should be told.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 05:07 AM

I can't speak for the other hotels, but we really like the Quay West.

The view of both the Opera House an dHarbour Bridge was fabulous. Even while in bed, we had a view of Harbour Bridge.

One of the highlights of our trip was eating dinner outside on our patio while havnig direct views of the Opera House and HArbout Bridge.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:53 AM

Alice13, I hardly know where to begin... it's the best holiday destination I have ever been to. I have deliberately refrained from starting any comment here (wrong forum, for one thing!) because I knew that if I did, I'd never want to stop, and everyone would complain! So, remember, you asked.... be it on your own head!

The thing I loved most about India is probably the same thing that so many people hate about it.... you don't just stand back and experience it from a safe distance, cocooned in your western comfort zone; you're plunged into it 100%, and it's a bit like being thrown in the deep end after years of paddling around in the shallows. It's a destination that INVOLVES every fibre of your consciousness.... you will feel uplifted, depressed, inspired, disgusted, fascinated, repelled, respectful, and hostile.... sometimes all at the same time.... but the one thing you can't feel is aloof.

Every day I fell into bed (ouch! Beds in India are HARD!)totally used up, totally overwhelmed. Relaxing? No way! Unforgettable? Every single minute. My advice to anyone contemplating a trip to India: do it before it disappears (and I guess it's inevitable that the India I loved WILL change, and soon!), and don't be afraid to step outside your comfort zone. You will return from India a slightly different person.... and there are not many holiday destinations of which one can say that!

Well, you asked.... and, therefore, katherine22 will blame you for this shameful hijacking of her thread (sorry, Katherine22)!
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 01:32 PM

Sorry John..Watsons Bay Hotel would not qualify as either chic or choice although I guess perfectly acceptable. Not sure if their rooms have views but it is a long way from the city centre ( reached by ferry during the day ( not sure about night)or a long bus trip. Stick to the city or if you want further away but not too far perhaps the Ritz at Double Bay ( I think it could be called the Sir Stamford now).
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 05:01 PM

Kelowna,bc??

What?

I really don't know why I answered this question - I've never been in a chic hotel in my life - let alone "chicest" - whatever that is! In any country
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 07:03 PM

I'm with you, margo ... and with Groucho Marx ("I don't think I'd care to belong to a club that would have me as a member&quot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -