SYD NYE Restaurant Suggestions...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2006, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be in SYD on NYE (during our honeymoon) and we need somewhere special to view our "once in a lifetime" fireworks display over the harbour.

Originally I was going to book a boat cruise on the Harbour... but the wife gets sea sick VERY easy... I've read posts that say it's not too bad on the water... but why take the chance on NYE... i'd rather be safe in a nice restaurant... and that's where I need some of your suggestions/feedback. Which restaurant to do think would have the best combination of food and view for the NYE fireworks display?

I've reviewed the list below and been to all of the restaurants websites but I still can't decide:

http://www.bestrestaurants.com.au/sp...sp?eventID=108

The $275pp package at The Quay looks good
http://www.quay.com.au/page/new_years_eve.html

Some other interesting places:
360 Bar
Yukis (I think it may be sold out)

Our Plan B is to get a picnic basket and try and get a spot at Mrs. Macguaries Point (or the Opera House). I know we'll have to get here by 2pm... and I'm not sure I like the idea of having to stay in the same place for over 12 hours. How is the crowd at Mrs. Macguaries, friendly? I'm just wondering if we put a rug down and take a walk... will someone take our spot?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Old Dec 4th, 2006, 01:25 AM

Hi there,

Any smart restaurant worth the epithet and with a glimpse of the water will be laying on something for NYE - but short of my own boat, and if I had money to spare, I'd like to be on one of the harbour islands!

In case you would too, the Harbour Trust has the following offer:

Fort Denison
Capacity: 140
Departure: Circular Quay wharf 2 at 7:00 pm
Return: from 12:30 am
Ticket price: $560 five-course degustation menu.

Expensive eh? And no idea who does the food. But on a balmy night ...

http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/...nt/shnp_events

All the best.

Old Dec 4th, 2006, 08:22 PM

For something different, you might have a look at "NYE at the Zoo" www.ticketek.com.au.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:49 AM

If you decide to do a restaurant you won't do better than QUAY, IF you can get in at this late stage. Yes the crowd will be friendly at the picnic scene and yes your spot WILL go if you leave it. Perhaps your wife and you could take it in turns to " stretch the legs ".
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 12:54 AM

I have never caught the fireworks in any of these restaurants but they have great views of the bridge, Altitude (Shangri-la Hotel), Aria, Quadrant (in Quay Grand) and Eastbank. Not sure if Cadmus is still open, they have spectacular views. But not all tables have great views so you must make sure you request a view of the bridge. Suspect best tables have already been booked. Not sure if the closing date has passed but if you have friends who are members of the Botanical Gardens you can get tickets and get prime spots to view the bridge. Altitude's view is from the top so not sure if the fireworks may be spectacular as such displays are best viewed from below. BTW, the Quay would be a good choice too.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 07:53 PM

Opera Australia has just released another 100 tickets to their pre-concert dinner at the Opera House.
If I were going to be here, that'd be my pick
Tel +61293188200 or [email protected]