Search

Cricket and Horse Racing

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cricket and Horse Racing

We'll be in Sydney during the month of February 2007 and would like to take in a match at the Sydney Cricket Ground. Would you recommend it? Also, any pub, etc. in the vicinity for lunch?

We'd also like to go to the races at Randwick. It sounds like a great venue. Any recommendations?

We've already seen most of the "attractions" and will certainly revisit some, but we want to take part in "local" activities.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Nov 7th, 2006, 04:45 PM

Yes, go to the SCG!

Tests will be over then - but a couple of one-day internationals, and some other matches.

Look here for programme:
http://www.cricketnsw.com.au/nswca/hgahome.cl?PT=ev

Plenty of pubs in the vicinity - but go for the real experience - a soggy pie, some cold, over-salted chips, half-warm beer in a plastic cup!

Don't stint on the real SCG experience!

Or - do as we do - bring lunch, and drinks, no bottles, make sure you have a hat, and sunblock - and enjoy the cricket! Hopefully, we'll all be quite relaxed after finally flogging the Poms in January!
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Margo, for the info. We'll surely go to see a match...even tho' my husband is a "Pom"! Would you recommend going for the Lord's Taverners Charity Cricket Day on Tues. Feb. 13th? Sounds like it will be a great experience. Our only other option would be a Sunday international match.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Go to the international match on the sunday....it's the final..get tickets beforehand.

Note that the game will start around 2.00 pm. Have lunch in trendy paddington and walk down the hill to the SCG.

Be prepared for an exposure to mainstream aussie popular culture.

Some aussie supporters are on the same intellectual level as oakland raider fans.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the laugh, John. We'll do exactly as you say, and I'm sure we'll have a memorable day. It's Aussies like you and Margo who make a holiday an Event!

Any ideas about the horseraces?
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:10 PM

There are races at randwick on saturday feb 10. THey would be your best bet.Randwick is about a mile south of the scg and in fact the southern end of the scg wicket is referred to as the randwick end.

If you are of sporting bent then there is an scg tour which is pretty good.

If your nick relates to your location then I guess you would be a "niner" fan but i was serious...some of the behaviour in parts of the ground can get basic.Of course the scg members know how to behave.Join in when the yobbos start the "members are wankers" chant.

Geaux Saints!
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:21 PM

BTW the royal hotel at the five ways in paddo used to do a good lunch.
Old Nov 8th, 2006, 05:28 PM

Like John Says - go for the one-day final!

Try and book tickets early - like now - if possible ? www.ticketek.com.au

But one-day cricket is not real cricket as we know it! Players wear coloured clothing - and f'gudness sake - they're only there for the day - instead of 5 days!

Still a good day out, though!
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 03:52 AM

Margo,
I suspect the ashes will stay in Australia this time.

England without Simon Jones, is a bit like Wales without Cardiff...

I hope the Ashes tests will be 5 days long, I guess that's all we can ask for, winning is something else.

Anyway I thought you Aussies played very well to deny our Rugby guys from battering you. The Millenium stadium and Cardiff generally was a great place to be. 29-29 who would have thought !

Muck

Old Nov 11th, 2006, 03:20 PM

Both Randwick Racecourse and the Cricket Ground can be accessed easily from the CBD by taking a 373 or 374 Bus from Elizabeth Street.
The bus actually stops right over the road from the Racecourse Entrance, and a very short walk from the Cricket Ground.

Old Nov 12th, 2006, 09:21 PM

G'day Mucky

Sounds like the Wallabies are playing more like wombats! Beaten by Ospreys, lucky to draw with Wales, and a crap win over Italy! Ireland next - and they're going well!

Hmmmm...don't think we'll be generating any more silverware next year!
Old Nov 12th, 2006, 09:23 PM

and yes, of course the Ashes should stay here - even if I couldn't get tickets!
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 01:16 AM

Hi Margo,
Is it just me or is the prospect of a humungous mindblowing winning series of test matches slightly let down by the silly little trophy that is won?

Would it be better to create a massive cup or shield to go with the 'little urn' so the team can pour champers into it and chuck it around themselvs and display it on the open top bus. Somehow the 'little urn' doesn't seem to do it for me.

What d you think? as a country that will probably have to store it for the next couple of years.

Muck
Old Nov 13th, 2006, 01:17 AM

Crikey I am going mad !!

I had a day off work today and forgot !!!!

Muck
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Well, JohnJ and Margo, we did get tickets for the February 11th match. Our Australian son said the the match was sold out, but managed to get tickets for the "hill" which is just fine for us. It should prove to be a memorable day for us...good to spend time with the Aussies. Thanks for your advice.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 05:17 PM

Tickets on the hill, eh!

Some advice - don't wear anything you're not prepared to throw out later! You'll be hot and sticky and grubby and probably smelling of beer.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 08:19 PM

john_j

Now why are you knocking the Oakland Raiders. Surely you realized you were staying under the same roof as some of them ( up on the penthouse level)

AndrewDavid
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 12:11 PM

Wow A/D I am impressed.

Go Raiduhzzz

Have you seen the cricket ground in Victoria (or stanley park in van) yet?
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 10:44 PM

done there been that, but w/o any activity on either pitch We had 10 ' of snow on Sunday and everyone had a snow day on Monday; happens once in a decade
I went x country skiing in Beacon Hill park!

cheers to you and Jenny

A/D
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 04:56 PM

Yes - Muck - the tiny trophy does seem a tad silly!

However, regardless of size, it's certainly stirred up feelings here.

Poor Poms snatched defeat from the jaws of victory last night! Edge ofthe seat stuff!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -