Reload this Page >

Sydney New Year's Eve Fireworks

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 05:06 AM
Ferny

Which hotel of Sydney offers the better sight to admire the spectacular fireworks of the New Year's Eve ?<BR>Park Hyatt, Observatory, Four Season...<BR>Thanks.<BR>

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Sonia

Hi Ferny<BR><BR>I'm staying at the Park Hyatt between Christmas and New Year 2003. As it's nearly under the bridge I have been advised it's no good for a view of the fireworks.<BR><BR>I have been advised to try the Renaissance and the ANA.<BR><BR>Good Luck<BR><BR>Sonia

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 11:17 AM
katie

We were at the Renaissance this New Year's. Lucky us, our room had a great view of the bridge but missed the majority of the fireworks that take place off the barges in the Harbour. Watched the reflections in the neighboring skyscrapers. Call the hotel and ask the concierge which is the best room. They are very accommodating.

Old Jan 14th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Pat

We were lucky enough to witness the New Year's Eve fireworks at Sydney Harbour Bridge this year. We didn't stay in a hotel but watched from outside on a picnic blanket in the Botanical Gardens just above the Opera House. <BR><BR>It was a long wait to keep your &quot;spot&quot; till midnight but so worth it! Security was very tight, the area is fenced off, lots of clean portable toilets, and concession stands including one selling beer, wine and champagne. (You aren't allowed to bring your own in a glass container).<BR><BR>We were there with our young teens and the crowd had lots of families in it. The downtown streets are all blocked off for the event and we thoroughly enjoyed it.<BR><BR>(Just an idea if you can't find the right hotel).

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 02:28 AM
Alan

Hi, Ferny!<BR>Most of the Park Hyatt (which, by the way, has the best view of the harbour of any hotel in Sydney) faces the wrong way for a view of the bridge display fireworks -- the hotel is almost under the Bridge -- but there are a handful of rooms -- no more than about 16 --which have balconies that take in the whole Bridge, though at an angle. You would have to specifically ask for those, however, and even if you got one, be prepared for about 10,000 people directly under your window, crowding into the little park between the Hyatt and the water. I can't imagine you would see anything at all from the Observatory Hotel -- it's in Kent St, around the &quot;back&quot; of the Bridge, and, anyway, it's only a few storeys high (you might, however, get a good view of the Darling Harbour fireworks from there). The Four Seasons is tall enough, but the angle is poor -- like the ANA and the Quay West, you are sort of looking at a cross-section of the Bridge. There might be a couple of rooms at the Sir Stamford which would just allow a peek at the Bridge through the railway overpass. The Renaissance has the best potential for a great view, but, once again, you would need to assure yourself that you had the right room before paying all the money they will ask... there are a lot of rooms which face the wrong way or have an obstructed view (as the hotel is set back from the water). I guess most of this is rather negative, so I should end up on a positive note: while the Bridge is the centrepiece of the New Year fireworks, there are other places on the harbour which have a display also, so ALL of those hotels will be bound to let you look at something!

Old Jan 15th, 2003, 04:42 PM
Bill

<BR>Temps of 65-70 outside for N.Y.E. fireworks? It'll be 10,001 people under your window.<BR><BR>