Sydney Restaurant with view

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I'm doing this for a friend and although I'm an ex-Sydney girl I'm starting to lose touch....could anyone recommend a good food Sydney Restuarant with a view of either the Harbour or the ocean that isn't going to break the bank. Have already checked out Icebergs and Cafe Sydney but they are a bit on the expensive side. Am looking at around $30 - $40 AUD a main. They're staying at Bondi.

Thanks.....
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 09:29 PM

Hi Daneille. Do they actually need a restaurant proper? I suggest they try the beer garden at Doyle's , Watsons Bay ( not the restaurant ). It has exactly the same fabulous harbour view as the restaurant at a fraction of the cost.They cook the fish right then and there when you order it and you take it back to your table. Of course it would depend if they are coming in the warmer months. Also some of the restaurants opposite Bondi beach would be ok , more reasonably priced than Icebergs and would have a view or partial view of the sea. I am thinking of the Bondi Tratt but there are probably others.The Tratt is slightly up the hill so would be better view wise than those lower down. Once again you can sit outside depending on the weather.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 01:20 AM

For an inner-harbour view, pretty much any of the restaurants around the Quay. As well as the more well known Aria, Guillieme @ Bennelong etc., there are a number of casual little bistro/bars along the walk between the Quay & Opera House. I was there last Thursday night and it was very buzzy & had a great atmosphere. I think there's a cafe/bistro on the Northern apron of the Opera House too (Someone help me out here, please).

The cafe at the MCA (Museum of Contemporary Art)is a good lunch or weekend breakfast option.

The Park Hyatt's Harbourkitchen & bar has sensational views.

The Wharf (Sydney Theatre Company) (Pier 4, Walsh Bay)... and on Pier 7, Firefly Winebar.

The restaurant at the Art Gallery of NSW has great harbour views, excellent contemporary food & is well within their budget. (lunch daily & weekend brunch).

Don't forget King Street Wharf & Cockle Bay.

Agree with Peteralan - the beer garden at Watsons Bay is good value with killer views right up the harbour. Pretty hard to beat on a Sunny Sydney day. Don't send them to the restaurant next door.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 01:42 PM

Sails on Lavender Bay has a sensational view. Take ferry to Milsons Point otherwise The Summit in the CBD is hard to beat.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your suggestions.
Just a couple of questions - We used to pull into Doyle's on our boat and were always disappointed in their takeaway fare.....is the restaurant much better or not?

And with regard to Sails - last time I was there I found the service very shabby and although the view was lovely - the restaurant itself seemed very rundown. Has it improved? This was about 4 years ago - and we were so disappointed we never went back.

Thanks again.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 05:40 PM

Hi Daneille,

I always feel a bit diffident about knocking a restaurant, BUT, in Doyle's case, unless it's improved VASTLY in the last 6 months or so, I'd say your experience is still valid. I think the "pub grub" Peterallan's talking about is MILES ahead of the restaurant next door, and of the takeaway from the outlet near the pier. I frankly think they're doing "tourist tucker" and it's a shame because we've fantastic fresh ingredients here how hard is it to cook it well & serve it simply & not tricked up with a lot of rubbish, for pete's sake!? So many visitors go there because of its location & name and end up with a sub-standard experience and view of Australian "good food". I'm going over that way this afternoon & if I have a chance, will have a look for you.

Sails - don't know, haven't been there for yonks for the same reason as you.

Just down at Milson's Point, on top of the North Sydney pool is a knock-out restaurant "Aqua Dining". Food, views, etc - sensational. But,as you'd expect, a little pricier than some of the other options. 2006 GFG lists (Dinner prices) E22-29; M35-48, D18-19 (lunch is cheaper).

Also in the "great views, more $" league, Altitude (top of Shangri La (old ANA)). In that bracket, there's Quay and some others near the Overseas Passenger Terminal,too.

I'd give Cafe Sydney a miss. Service & food can be a bit patchy.

Something that's improved in the last few years is the number & variety of wines available by the glass in lots of places now.

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 09:44 AM

Hopefully this isn't hijacking Danielle's thread... Of the restaurants mentioned above, are there any that are particularly suited for a larger groups and are also "family-friendly"?

Seven of us will be in Sydney for three nights the first week in April (on our way back to the states from a two week holiday in WA) and we would love any suggestions for restaurants that are moderately-priced (casual) that would also be okay for an 11 year old to dine at. While the beer garden at Watson's Bay sounds great, I wasn't sure if it would be appropriate for an 11 year old?

Also, for what it is worth, we will be staying in the Darling Harbor area.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 12:56 PM

Hi Lightfoot,
Most of the restaurants along Cockle Bay & King Street Wharf cater for groups and do it well. The other area I was going to suggest is along the waterfront between the Park Hyatt & Circular Quay. There was an Italian, a Seafood and a Chinese (I'm saying "was" only because I haven't been along there for a while & it could have changed.) All biggish places with stunning views, would work well for your group, I think. Good outside seating options. You could probably take a ferry from Darling Harbour around to Circular Quay for something different, and it's just a stroll West along Circular Quay and around the corner.

And, yes, the beer garden at Watsons Bay would be absolutely fine for your 11 y.o.

The other option if you're staying in Darling Harbour is China Town, which is right on your doorstep. No views but lots of great food and yum cha at one of the goodies down there can be fantastic.

Old Mar 14th, 2007, 01:55 PM

There are quite a few casual affordable places along East Circular Quay. I like Lenin (used to be the Aqua Luna bar). If you sit outside there is a nice view.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Hi - just to throw a spanner in.....has anyone been to The Front (the restaurant at The Sebel Pier One) recently? I had a few Christmas parties there that were really great and the views match what we're looking for. Any recent review would be good. Thanks
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 04:57 PM

In Cockle Bay there's Chinta Ria, Malaya and Wagamama all are fairly reasonably priced and with good views of Darling Harbour. Also closer to Bondi there's the cafe on the beach at Maroubra and at Laperouse there's a cafe right on Botany Bay that does good fish and chips.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 02:16 PM

Eat Fifteen is another place with nice views and very reasonably priced good food along east Circular Quay. My gripe about Cafe Sydney is that the tables are so close to each other that it's impossible to have any private discussions.
Old Mar 18th, 2007, 06:14 PM

Staying at Bondi!?

Sean's Panaroma, of course. Campbell Parade, North Bondi. Opposite N. Bondi Surf Lifesaving Club.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 01:57 PM
rmp

We really enjoyed Wagamama in Darling Harbour in August. Fast, casual, affordable and tasty. I don't think it's a chain but I'm American so maybe I just don't know.

In any case, it may not be as fancy as others mentioned here, but it does have a nice view of the Darling Harbour area and would easily accomodate a party of your size.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Hi FYI - Wagamama is a chain - they are right through Australia - with 6 locations in Sydney alone. Slightly better than the Wok On Inn
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:55 PM

Pier at Rose Bay might meet the bill if you choose carefully. GorGeous setting on an old pier surrounded by water , boats and hopefully blue skies. They also have a cheaper section at the front where you sit up at a bar and sample food.It won 3 stars in Australian GourmeT . I had lunch there recently 1 champagne ,1 mixed drink and 2 glasses of wine 2 entrees ( one the most expensinve on the menu) , 2 mains 1 vegie side , 1 dessert and 2 coffees and that was A$285 excl.tip .And we were delighted with it all