Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

Sydney Restaurants - Kables, Wildfire, Bennelong, Waterfront? Experiences and/or other suggestions pls?

Search

Sydney Restaurants - Kables, Wildfire, Bennelong, Waterfront? Experiences and/or other suggestions pls?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 03:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just doing some final planning to our vacation to Oz, we leave next Thursday. We start in Sydney and have 5 days. We have been before (8 years ago) but have noticed that there are some new restaurants in Sydney that we'd like to try. Both of us love fish/seafood and meat also.

We're staying at the Four Seasons so I wondered about Kables? We'd prefer a restaurant with a harbour view, although I'm not sure that Kables has this view.

I'd be grateful to hear about experiences of these restaurants or recommendations for any others in Sydney please?

Thank you.
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 01:32 PM

Hi AndyPandy,
No harbour views from Kables,but there are a raft of excellent restaurants around Circular Quay which I think would have appeared since your last visit. Here are a few I've tried, with the latest SMH Good Food Guide rating where applicable.

Closest to the SOH, Aria - 1 Macquarie Street,(enter from Macquarie St, not Circular Quay) www.ariarestaurant.com 16/20 in the SMH Good Food guide. One of my favourites. They also do pre-theatre and supper.

Quayside brasserie (street level, downstairs from Aria). Casual, good for pre-theatre, lunch etc.

(Guillaume at) Bennelong 18/20 receives mixed reviews on this Forum, but I've always enjoyed it. It's probably not where you'd go for "postcard views", though, being part of, rather than looking at, the Opera House. www.guillaumeatbennelong.co.au

Quay (opposite the SOH) 18/20. www.quay.com.au In the Overseas passenger terminal - great harbour views and sensational food.

Not on the water, but sensational views & great food .... Forty One (Level 42, Chifley Tower, Chifley Sq). 15/20 www.forty-one.com.au

You can easily walk to all of these from Four Seasons. (41 might be a bit of a hike) And, there are more along the East Circular Quay colonade (Opera House side) and around the Rocks. I noticed a write-up about the Palisade Dining Room,35 Bettington St., Millers Point. In an old pub, reads well and has good views. Their tip is to ask for a corner table with for the best view. Haven't been yet.
14/20. www.palisadehotel.com

I'd give a miss to: Wildfire (personally I think it's gone off, have had a couple of pretty ordinary meals here over the last few months); Cafe Sydney (great view, pity about the food & service). Harbour Bar & Kitchen (in the Park Hyatt) - o'priced, underwhelming food & service IMO. Shame- sublime views!(and I'm a BIG Park Hyatt fan!)

Now ... for something REALLY special ..
... over the bridge to Milsons Point to Aqua Dining. Perched above the North Sydney Pool, views through the Bridge to the SOH and food to dream about! Take a ferry to Milsons Point, walk west under the overpass and you'll be there in 5 - 10 minutes. I'd rate it higher than the SMH 14/20; eat there frequently.

There are also some excellent restaurants on the wharf at Wooloomooloo. These will be new since your last trip & well worth a visit. All casual, facing west and popular with locals too. A few are :
Otto ... www.otto.net.au 15/20
Nove (surprise ! - same owner LOL)
Manta.... www.mantarestaurant.com.au 15/20

You might also try: Flying Fish - Jones Bay Wharf, Pyrmont 15/20, www.flyingfish.com.au
The Boathouse at Blackwattle Bay (Ferry Road, Glebe) www.boathouse.net.au 14/20 (but I think it's at least 15-16/20) Both of these have great food and views, too and give you a different perspective on our harbour. They're v.close to the city - just get a cab to them. If you feel like a walk, you could easily walk to Flying Fish from Darling Harbour.

Hope this has given you a few ideas ... enjoy your visit. We've just had some rain, so are all freshly washed & green for you

Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Bokhara, thank you for your reply, I appreciate all your suggestions and now will be looking into choosing at least a couple, I think Aqua is high on our list along with Quay.

We are getting so excited now, I've been reading this board and making so many notes, clearly 5 days will not be long enough!

Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 03:13 PM

My pleasure, AndyPandy. Today I'd recommend Icebergs Dining Room & Bar (Bondi) as well, (www.idrb.com) perched above Bondi Beach or Waterark at Balmoral too (www.watermarkrestaurant.com.au) LOL.
It's a sparkling warm Sunday that would make anywhere near the water a great choice.

If you like good food, and it seems that you do from your choices, you're coming to the right place.
Old Dec 3rd, 2005, 04:21 PM

As Bokhara says Kables has no view but is a good restaurant. My absolute favourite in Sydney is Quay ( walking distance from your hotel). Great view ( you can be cheeky and ask for a window table as we did) service is immaculate and food matches.Second the recommendations for Boathouse,41 and Icebergs.For seafood you would love Pier at Rose Bay which you can approach by ferry I think. My favourites without a view are Est ( near your hotel ),Claudes in Paddington and Marque in Surry Hills. Enjoy!