Syd/Melbourne Hotel Advice Needed

Jan 6th, 2003, 04:48 AM
Abby

Syd/Melbourne Hotel Advice Needed

Can anyone recommend some unique hotels-preferably in "hip" (sorry to be cliche) neighborhoods such as the Rocks in Sydney-that would be fun to stay in while visiting these two areas? Places that would be easy to walk to other areas or near fun shops, restaurants, and cafes.I am interested in moderate to upscale accommodation ideas. I would be willing to pay more for a really special place. Thank you for your help in advance.

Jan 6th, 2003, 12:23 PM
Mary

In Melb have a look at The Adelphi, in the heart of trendy Flinders Lane in the city - very "hip", fantastic staff and a swimming pool that hands over the street! Another one would be The Como - not quite so trendy, but in Chapel St, Sth Yarra. In Sydney there are a number of very trendy hotels in the Darlinghurst area. I'm not aware of any in The Rocks which is not hip at all - and tends to be more traditional accom.

Jan 6th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Abby

Thanks so much! I just thought the Rocks area was cool. What about staying in Double Bay or Woolloomooloo? (I think I spelled that wrong)What are the good areas of Melbourne to stay in? I know nothing about it so I don't know where I would want to hang out, but definitely near shopping/restaurants/cafes.

Jan 6th, 2003, 03:01 PM
Prue

Abby,
I suppose Double Bay could be described as being 'hip' - it is certainly trendy and home to a myriad of shops, restaurants etc.
There is a good bus and ferry service linking it with the city - about 20 mins away.
The top of the range hotel is the 5*Stamford Plaza, which is excellent and sometimes has some good packages.
Also, confusingly, there is a Sir Stamford, which is a 4* and then a hidden treasure called the Savoy, which is small, has a range of rooms and is more like a B & B. I can recommend all three, especially the Savoy.
Double Bay is a very attractive, leafy suburb and I am sure you would enjoy it.

Jan 6th, 2003, 05:13 PM
Deb

Hi Abby. I live in Double Bay, and I wouldn't quite say it's 'hip'! As for Darlinghurst, the hip hotels there are the Kirketon (which has a good bar and restaurant in it, "Fix" and "Salt" respectively). There's also the Altamont in Darlinghurst.

As for Wooloomooloo, the only real hotel there is the "W", which is definitely hip but also stupidly expensive given what you get.

In mid-city, there's a new boutique hotel that's quite reasonable called the Blacket. I would suggest looking on lastminute.com.au or wotif.com.au to see last minute rates for all these hotels.

In Melbourne, the Como is cool, as is the Adelphi. Also check out the Hotel Lindrum, and if you want to be in St. Kilda there's The Prince. I stayed for 7 months in the Royce Hotel, which is about 1 km from the city centre on St. Kilda road (walkable to the city) and it's great (also incredibly reasonably priced at around $80US, on lastminute.com.au). I've also stayed at the Como, The Prince, and seen many of the insides/rooms of the Sydney hotels.

If you want any more specifics, let me know. If I were choosing a hotel in Melbourne that's hip and centrally located, I'd go the Adelphi. For Sydney, I'd probably do a Darlinghurst hotel or the W (if you want to splurge...it's about $330AUD per night).

Jan 6th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Abby

Thank you so much! I think when I mean "hip" I mean centrally located, near shops/cafes/bars, etc. so I could walk to places near where I am staying, esp. when going out at night since I"ll be alone. I will check out these hotels. I look forward to my trip!!

Jan 6th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Mary

If you want to be near cafe's, bar's, shops etc and will be on your own - I'd try for The Adelphi or as Deb suggested the Lindrum. Both close to lots of these including Southbank and Federation Square as well as the mass of things in town. Darlinghurst is probably not the best place to stay if you're on your own - it's adjacent to Kings Cross and while central it can be a sleasy and you'll probably feel uncomfortable walking around at night. Perhaps The Rocks or Darling Harbour - on the city side, might be better.

Jan 7th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Nancy

My recommendation is the Park Hyatt. A superb small 5 star hotel, located right across a small marina from the Sydney Opera House and in a charming neighbourhood. Happens to be part of the Rocks, which I think is centrally located, and has good restaurants and shops, despite what others on this thread have said.. There is often a street or flea market going on. The Harbour Bridge is at the foot of the hotel and you can easily walk across it and get spectacular views. Within walking distance of Circular Quay and downtown. Many rooms have great harbour and Opera House views. Check the Rants and Raves page on this site for hotels in Sydney and it will give you an idea. Expensive but absolutely worth it.

Jan 7th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Deb

Yes, the Park Hyatt is nice, but I certainly wouldn't stay there if I had a budget. And I mean any budget. It is the most expensive hotel in Sydney (it's where the stars stay) and nice if you're on your honeymoon, but there are SO many nice hotels (5* and less) that are half the price.

Abby, when are you going? If you can deal with uncertainty, I would use lastminute.com.au or wotif.com.au about 2 weeks prior to when you're staying and get cheap rates that way. 95% of Sydney hotels put listings on the site.

Jan 7th, 2003, 04:24 PM
Abby

Thanks everyone for your replies! I am going to be there in either late July or early August. I will stay for just a few days in Syd and Melbourne. I have been to Sydney so I know the areas but where in Melbourne is a good place to stay? I want to be near cafes, restaurants, shops. I was looking at some websites and the areas of South Yarra, St.Kilda, Flinders Lane kept popping out. Would these be areas in which I could find a fun, funky hotel and get to walk to where I want to go? I don't want to stay too far in the suburbs, but more in a place similar to SoHo in NYC. Any advice? Thanks again.

Jan 7th, 2003, 08:27 PM
Deb

Abby, the three places you mentioned are the places...Flinders Lane is in the city. That's where the Adelphi is. The Hotel Lindrum is also in the city a few blocks from there. South Yarra is where the Como is. The Prince is in St. Kilda. I would stick with either South Yarra or the city at that time of year (meaning you won't be doing beach things as it's winter, so you can just take the tram to St. Kilda...easy ride). All the hotels mentioned use lastminute.com.au and wotif.com.au. Given you'll be there in low season, I would DEFINITELY wait until you get to Sydney (or a week or so before you get to Melbourne) and just see which of the three hotels (Lindrum, Adelphi, Como) have the best deal at the time. I can guarantee you that at least 2 of them will have rooms (most likely all of them) and they'll be much cheaper than if you booked now.

Jan 8th, 2003, 03:47 AM
Abby

You really think there will be rooms if I wait that late to book? I am just so anal about this trip that I'd rather have everything planned in advance..but if the chances are those hotels will be available with lower rates then I can wait!! What about The Hatton? That one looked kind of interesting as well. So pick one in either the city around Flinders Lane or South Yarra? Are there any good tourist things or uniquely Melbourne activities I should look into? Thanks again for your help, it's invaluable to me!

Jan 8th, 2003, 10:55 PM
Deb

Abby,

I can almost guarantee you there will be rooms, and the Hatton is also on the site. For example, check out those sites I mentioned now, which is high season, and you'll see availability. It's even more available and cheaper in winter. My aunt came and visited around Christmas, and I waited until a day before to book her into her Melbourne hotel! My parents are coming in June, and we are all going to Melbourne together, and I will be booking our rooms that way as well. I understand being anal and wanting it all set, but if you pick either the Como, Adelphi, Lindrum or Hatton for Melbourne and the Blackett, Sir Stamford in Double Bay (not stamford plaza), Kirketon, etc. in Sydney you'll be fine waiting.

As for the Park Hyatt, as I mentioned before it is wonderful, but it is stupidly expensive. I've found that most Americans (and I'm one) don't realise that the hotels here are, in general, much better deals.

For touristy things, there's heaps to do in Melbourne. Definitely take a trip on the Great Ocean Road (day trip or overnight) and perhaps the Mornington Peninsula. There's also the Yarra Valley, which is Victoria's wine tasting region and about 1.5 hours from Melbourne. In the city, Federation Square has just opened and it has some amazing museums. The Melbourne Aquarium is awesome, too. Oh, and definitely go to the Queen Victoria markets. It's a huge food market (and other stuff) that's right in the city and such great fun. Melbourne is a "foodie's" city, and the quality/quantity of restaurants is unreal. There are some amazing options.

Are you travelling by yourself? How old are you? That'll give me a sense of other options.

Jan 9th, 2003, 06:49 AM
Abby

Thanks, Deb! I will be traveling alone and will be 33 when I go to OZ. How should I make these reservations if I am already on my trip-through either those web sites you listed or just call? How far in advance should I wait-just a week or a few days? I know it's the middle of winter so I should be okay. I'll find somewhere to sleep! I do have a friend in Melbourne and Syd so I could stay w/them, but I'd rather have my own place after such a long trip. Thanks again for your help.

Jan 9th, 2003, 12:38 PM
Prue

Abby,
I would advise trying both Stamford Plaza and Sir Stamford in Double Bay - as the Plaza, which is far superior, quite often has excellent deals.

Jan 9th, 2003, 06:51 PM
Abby

Everyone who has replied, thank you for your advice. I just reserved the tickets for the trip and I'm very excited. My tentative plan (these are frequent flier mile tix so I have time to think about tihs) is to fly from Christchurch to Melbourne on a Friday afternoon and fly to Sydney on the following Tuesday AM. I'll be in Sydney from Tuesday to Friday morning, and then I will fly home via LA. I am sad that I will only have 2.5 days in Syd, but I've been there before so I don't need to do everything. Therefore, here is another question: I will be in Melbourne for 3.5 days-is this enough, or should I push my flight up till Monday evening, so I arrive on Friday afternoon, spend Sat/Sun/Mon in Mel, and then leave at 8 PM to get to Syd? Then I will have Tues/Wed/Thurs in Syd? I think this plan would be good, but is that enough time in Melbourne? I"d like to do the Great Ocean Road tour, which I assume is a day, and other than that I don't have any plans. Thanks again!

Jan 9th, 2003, 07:14 PM
Deb

Abby-

I'd say you can actually book the hotels prior to leaving the US through the sites (do it online). Perhaps 2 weeks in advance is the best timeframe.

Now this is going to sound freaky, but I think I went to school with an Abby Siegel, and I'm 33. Wouldn't that be freaky? Did you go to university in Rhode Island? Okay, this is really weird...I just checked my alumni website, and if you're who I think you are, we are the same class!

As for the Stamford Plaza, they sometimes have deals for about $100US. The Sir Stamford has deals for about $70US. The Altamont often has a winter rate of around $55US. The Kirketon can be more. Park Hyatt and the W don't do deals, and are around $175US. These are the Sydney hotels.

The Melbourne hotels will be around $70US for the last minute deals. Also, because you can book them through the last minute websites 2-3 weeks in advance, you're really not taking any risks.

Jan 9th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Mary

If you're going to do the GOR tour - you'll want every bit of time possible in Melb. For preference it's best to visit the GOR over 2 days - as the start of the road is about 2 hours from Melb and the most interesting parts (12 apostles, loch ard gorge etc) are a lot further than that. It is possible to visit and get back to Melbourne but it is certainly a very full day.

Jan 10th, 2003, 01:55 AM
Abby

Hi-Deb, I'm sorry but I don't think I"m your gal. I never went to school in Rhode Island. I'm from Connecticut and then went to university in Nashville, TN. If I book in late June, right before I leave, will I be too early for deals? I can always do it from Christchurch or something like that. If the GOR trip should be done over 2 days then do you stay at a hotel on the way? Any recs for a good day tour, or a 2 day/1 night tour? Thanks!