work in australia

Jan 8th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Posts: n/a
work in australia

Hello to anyone that can help.
I am from Canada and am very interested in working in Australia for a year. I have absolutely no idea where to start finding info. on working in another country.
I am most interested in working in therapeutic recreation, what I am trained and currently working in here in canada.
Can anyone help me find info. on this subject?
Thank you in advance.
Jan 8th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Posts: n/a
Aside from having no idea what "working in therapeutic recreation" means, I would suggest that you contact the Australian Consulate in Canada and put the same question to them as you would surely need a visa anyway.
Jan 8th, 2003, 12:27 PM
Posts: n/a
Actually having thought about it, I am doing some therapeutic recreation today - I am going to be sitting down watching the one day International cricket match. If in fact that is what TR is then you won't need a visa ;O)
Jan 8th, 2003, 02:20 PM
Posts: n/a
Hi, Joellyn!
There are several books, available from most booksellers in major Australian cities, on work in Australia for overseas visitors, and I think in all that I have seen, the advice given would support what Liz says above... the very first step is to make sure that you have a proper working visa, as the government is fairly strict on people who try to work while on an ordinary tourist visa (it happens, but there's a lot of exploitation that goes on, so their strictness is in your interest).
I can't tell you anything at all about therapeutic recreation -- I thought that's what I was getting sitting here typing in answers to Fodor's posts! -- but I guess that, whatever the position you're seeking, the same ground rules still apply... your first step is to get yourself settled in a place where there are other on-hand job-seekers who have a bit more experience than you, for advice, and that would suggest to me the Central Station Youth Hostel in Sydney. They will probably have a notice board for positions and buying/selling, and you will find yourself among people who are either heading in your direction or just finishing up. Then get yourself one of those books from the University Students' bookshop, a couple of blocks away, or maybe (if you're lucky) one of the several second-hand bookshops in the area. You can walk from the hostel to both UTS and Sydney University, both places with notice-boards which are useful for accommodation and part-time work for students. I guess the thing to do is to take anything suitable that is on offer, without being too choosy about therapeutic recreation... then, when you have some money coming in, and have made a few useful contacts, you can start seeking your heart's desire.
A few addresses that may prove useful (probably not, given my vagueness about what T.R. actually is!): The Operations Dept, P&O Holidays, GPO Box 5287, Sydney 2000; The Operations Manager, CTC Cruises, Level 4, 35-43 Clarence St, Sydney 2000; Camp Counsellors, Shop 3A, 88 Cumberland St, Sydney 2000; Student Services Australia,P.O. Box 399, Carlton South, Victoria 3053; and, for medical placements, either Drake Medox, Level 12, 60 Margaret St, Sydney 2000 (phone 02-9241 3855), or Eastern Suburbs Nursing Service, 35 Wentworth St, Randwick, NSW, 2031 (phone 02-9314 6365). These addresses might not be current, however, as they come from a 1995 book (all I have!) called "The Workaway Guide". Hope, however, that there is SOMETHING in all of these that won't waste your time. Good luck!
Jan 8th, 2003, 09:16 PM
Posts: n/a
Oh, imagine hearing from you Liz, in your usual RUDE style. Why don't you do us all a favour and take your smart alec comments some where else! This forum is for genuine enquiries - not genuine IDIOTS.
Jan 8th, 2003, 10:23 PM
Posts: n/a
I didn't think that Liz's comments were at all rude Nathan, I just thought that she gave some good adivse in saying that Joellyn should contact the Australian Consulate. The off-the-cuff humourous remark about watching cricket was funny.
I think that it is YOU WHO ARE VERY,VERY RUDE NATHAN and for that matter very stupid as well if you think that that was a rude reply. Lighten up Nathan because I don't think that you have ever done ANYTHING FOR ANYONE on this site and you just hate seeing someone else get thanks from people that she has helped time and time again.
Then again I guess that we have to put up with people like you till the end of school holidays when you will be out of action ( or should be) till next school holidays when you have nothing better to do but make stupid comments about other people. When you grow up you will know the difference between "tongue in cheek comments" and rude ones.
Jan 8th, 2003, 10:32 PM
Posts: n/a
Well said Cheryl!!!!
People like Nathen make me sick. There are many, many people on this site who have had Liz to thank for the information she has given them and there are also many people who have written to her privately who also would never have had the wonderful holiday that they did if not for Liz and people like her that take time and effort to write reply on this site.
Keep up the good work Liz as I for one give you my complete backing.
Jan 8th, 2003, 10:37 PM
Posts: n/a
Jan 8th, 2003, 11:06 PM
Posts: n/a
Trol spelt Troll is either a spoon or lure used for fishing from a slow moving vessel or small ship.
In Scandinavian folklore a Troll is either a Giant or a mischievous dwarf.
To troll means to sing in a full hearty manner.
A troll--ey is used to push mischivous
dwarfs around shopping centers, and it is often found in the bottom of drains during the dry season.
Watch out Na !!!!!
Jan 8th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Posts: n/a
liz f! Stop posing as mary, cheryl and bobspt. Your 3 postings are too close to be different people. If you wanna be a schizo you gotta take different stances to be credible. You cantakerous old twat, go poke someone else with your knitting needles.
Jan 9th, 2003, 04:28 AM
Posts: n/a
To Nathan and his "friend": While I am sure that Liz will appreciate your setting for her an example of how to write replies courteously, concisely, and with no trace of rudeness, surely the purpose of this post was to offer help to Joellyn, who wanted work in recreational therapy, not in detecting multiple personalities in Fodor's posters. So, before you go back to the USA board (from whence, I guess, you came), would you like to offer something constructive, or is that word not in your lexicon?
Jan 9th, 2003, 09:03 AM
Posts: n/a
Thank you very much for all who attempted to give me some help. The fighting via fodor's proved to be very entertaining as well, so thanks for that aswell.
I thought that I would attempt to give a clinical definition of what TR is, for those of you who do not know.
TR is a process that utilizes functional intervention, leisure education and recreation participation to enable persons with physical, cognitive, emotional and/or social limitations to acquire and/or maintainthe skills, knowledge and behaviours that will allow them to enjoy their leisure optimally, function independently with the least amount of assistance and participate as full as possible in societ. TR intervention is provided by trained professionals in clinical and/or community settings.
That may have been long and boring but it is what I do. I specifically work in a hospital with geriatric clients.
So ya, does that help any?
Thanks again.
Jan 9th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Posts: n/a
Joellyn, now I understand very well what you are talking about. I worked in that capacity for a long time but mainly with psychiatric patients and that is why I can see Nathan for what he is - in need of some really good help along those lines, and some medication too I should think.
The names given to those who work in that industry are many and varied now. My monika was "Psychogeriatric rehabilitation Officer" when I did it in England and I forget what they are called now but " a rose by any name etc etc" suffice it to say that there is a great need for people in that area in Australia and the more multi-skilled you are the better. Most nursing homes, hospitals ( mainly private) have a need too so you should not have problems in getting work. Just have to get that permit first I think. So nothing has really changed from my first post and that is - get onto the Australian Consulate first and then you can write to some of the hospitals and larger nursing homes following that. Also check out work as an Occupational Therapist's assistant because the work overlaps quite a bit and then you could add the large Public hospitals to your list. Good luck
Jan 10th, 2003, 12:40 PM
Posts: n/a
Whatever Nathan or his doppelganger says we do not condone conduct like his. Nathan is nothing but a troll or trol ( thanks Pete for that information ) or just a plain useless pest at least.
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Mar 25th, 2003 12:57 PM
k smith
Australia & the Pacific
Aug 21st, 2001 02:36 PM
Richard mansfield
Australia & the Pacific
Jun 11th, 2001 05:39 PM
Alex Portnoy
United States
Mar 13th, 2001 07:53 AM
Australia & the Pacific
May 16th, 2000 02:45 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:38 PM.