Help plan itinerary OZ/NZ

Dec 28th, 2002, 10:02 AM
Barb

Help plan itinerary OZ/NZ

My husband and I are planning a trip to Australia and hopefully a short bit in New Zealand in the month of January 2004. Which places are the best to see at this time? We like cities and dining out but also animals and sightseeing. Would like to relax a bit here and there at a beach. What can we do in about 3-4 weeks? Any help is greatly appreciated. We are going to try to use points for airfare so I need to think ahead a fair bit. Thanks,

Jan 7th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Rich

Hi Barb,
I am currently planning our trip in December 2003 and through to the New year . I have discovered that Queensland and parts of North Australia are susceptable to bad weather tornado's, hurricanes etc at that time of year, Cairns loses its beach around then ...lol. So I would recommend you stay no further north than Brisbane in January.
That leaves a huge amount of places to visit, Sydney Melb etc etc.

Have fun and if your in Sydney New years eve, look out for me !! LOL

Cheers

Rich
Wales UK

Jan 7th, 2003, 09:34 PM
marg

I'd suggest staying south of Brisbane as the weather in January is warm and very humid. Why not have a week in and around Sydney, drive along the coast (take three days and relax on the terrific beaches along the way) to Melbourne, have a few days there, then drive along the Great Ocean Road to Adelaide, then fly to NZ from there.
Be aware that January is our main school/summer holiday time so be prepared to book your accommodation in advance. The motel chains (Best Western, Flag, Budget) will book ahead for you.
A message for Rich - don't worry too much about Cairns losing it's beach - it doesn't have one at any time of the year - just mudflats. Last time we were there, the council were trying to build an beach bringing in sand from other places. For good beaches, try Palm Cove or Port Douglas.

Jan 9th, 2003, 08:10 AM
Rich

Hi Marg,
Yes we saw the mud flats being turned into a beach and they were soon blown away. We were staying at Palm Cove at the time , it truly is a magnificent beach.

Cheers

Jan 9th, 2003, 07:22 PM
marg

To Rich
We loved Palm Cove - such a pretty little village and a great beach as you say. We stayed at the Novotel (ten swimming pools!) and loved it.

Jan 10th, 2003, 02:53 PM
Rich

Hi Marge, Yes Palm Cove was lovely we stayed at the [email protected] cove just around the corner off the front, it was beautiful and the most fantastic huge New apartments we could ever have wished for, but I am afraid this won't help Barb too much because it will probably be awful weatherin January,If you really want some Queensland, Tangalooma wild dolphin resort is lovely, its on Moreton Island just off Brisbane.
Scooby Doo the movie was shot there and they really made it look different !!
Search Tangalooma on the internet and you should find the site.

Good luck

Rich