Sydney and Melbourne hotels

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to both Sydney and Melbourne in April, and are looking for hotels that have charm, on the smaller side, and are in the mid-price range. I've heard about L'otel in Sydney -- any feedback on that or other suggestions? We are pretty open, but just don't want one of those bustling Hyatt like places. Thanks. Kathy
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kathy, here are some ideas for Melbourne -
Le Meridien at Rialto - may not be midrange price wise but a beautiful, historic building.
Hotel Lindrum - a smaller boutique hotel, not in the best location but OK.
Adelphi Hotel - has a swimming pool that juts out over the street.
Charsfield Hotel - on St Kilda Rd which is just out of the CBD but on the tram line.
Also maybe the Duxton Hotel and Magnolia Court Boutique Hotel - this one is in East Melbourne, about 15 mins walk to the CBD through the gardens or 2 mins by tram.
Hope you find just the thing!
Kay
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 02:02 PM

Hi, Kathyg!

I have walked past l'Hotel, but I honestly can't remember whether I was favourably impressed or not. I'm sure it will not be a rat's nest, so, if the rates are good, it may be just what you're looking for... the telephone book lists it as a "boutique hotel".

Be warned, though.... it's in Darlinghurst. This is by no means a death sentence, but it does mean you have a bus ride every time you want to go and see anything (it may be close to King's Cross Station, but that's an unpalatable place after dark).
Darlinghurst is a little inner-suburb, adjacent to the more-notorious King's Cross, which is full of overpriced ethnic restaurants, old houses packed together, and narrow alleyways. l'Otel is on Darlinghurst Road, a narrow and reasonably-quiet street which runs straight into King's Cross. Also in this street are the Jewish Museum and one of my favourite restaurants, Govinda's.

On the whole, I think you'd be better off closer to the city: the Rocks area is my own special favourite, and there are several "charming hotels on the smaller side, mid-priced" (well, maybe UPPER-mid-priced) in that area: the Russell, the Harbour Rocks, the Australian, the Lord Nelson Brewery Hotel. The Russell, in particular, is a beauty..... the best location in Sydney..... and it's cheaper than most because, being 160 years old, it has no air-conditioning; but, in April, that's not an issue. It has a website: http://www.australia.travelmall.com/...Russell+Hotel; also, on www.wotif.com you can sometimes pick up a room there for around $AUD100.

You should at least check out availability and prices of some of these before you commit to l'Otel.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 07:33 AM

When I stayed in Sydney I was at Simpson's of Potts Point. I liked it a LOT. It's quite near King's Cross, but I didn't feel nervous walking to/from nearby restaurants by myself in the evening.(I'm a single, middle aged female.) Not sure I'd wander around at 3:00am, but I wouldn't wander at 3:00am ANYWHERE.

I'm big on walking, and Simpson's put me just as quick walk down a BIG flight of stairs from Cafe du Wheels, and a short walk from the Botanical gardens, the opera house, etc. (I'll admit I got a cab BACK at the end of a long day of walking a couple of times.)

My room was FABULOUS, and it was very cool to sit there with the *free* internet access and a *free* glass of sherry in the evening, checking my email.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 08:34 AM

Hi Kathy

I stayed at l'otel. While it has a lovely garden and pool, I wouldn't call the hotel charming. For the price however, it was a good place to stay (I believe I paid about $80AUD through wotif). Basic rooms, but it's clean, the staff are nice and it's conveniently located. It also has a restaurant that serves breakfast. If you stay there, try to get a room that is not on the front of the hotel. My room was at the front and received a good amount of street noise. Alan, of course, is correct. You will have to take a bus or taxi to get to the popular tourist areas of Sydney (Rocks, Opera House,etc.), but you are walking distance to some interesting neighborhoods.
Although I wouldn't want to hang around King's Cross after midnight, I felt safe in the Darlinghurst area. As with any city, using your common sense goes a long way!
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:18 PM

Hi Kathy
When we stay in Sydney (we live on the north coast) we use the Travelodge in Phillip Street. It's very central - you can walk anywhere in the city centre and to circular quay (trains, buses and harbour sights and cruises). It isn't like a regular chain hotel - it's actually accommodation above a club, so is quite small by hotel standards, but has all the necessities of good furnishings, dining area, tour desk etc. Di
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:58 AM

We just returned from a stay in Darlinghurst. 2nd time in the area. We like the neighborhood, and enjoy all the restaurant choices and shopping nearby. Last time we stayed at Victoria Court in neighboring Potts Point (near Simpson's), and this time in Chelsea Guest House. Neither was a great and wonderful stay, but both were clean, quiet, with nice breakfasts, and in quiet neighborhoods. The Chelsea is more contemporary. Like most larger city B&Bs, the level of hosting is minimal, but it's nice to get out of city center sometimes.