Search

Sunscreen Question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2008, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sunscreen Question

We are leaving for our big trip in a week now and I'm trying to figure out all the last minute details. My baby (16 months old) has extremely sensitive skin and had quite a reaction to sunscreen last summer (we tried several brands). I keep reading about an Australian sunscreen called Blue Lizard that is supposed to be very good for sensitive skin. I'm having a hard time finding it in our stores and don't have time to order it online before we leave. Is this something that is easily found all over Australia?

I'm also wondering if I'll be able to find some sunglasses for him over there? We only booked this trip a short time ago and it's almost impossible to find summer stuff here in the middle of winter!
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 08:55 PM

Hi MandyK

Can't say I've ever heard of Blue Lizard sunscreen, but all Chemists (Pharmacies) stock a wide range of sunscreens, including those specifically produced for babies and those with sensitive skins.

You will also be able to buy sunglasses at the same sources - Aussies are so well indoctrinated in skin cancer awareness that products are all readily available.

Perhaps if you can be more specific about the place you will be when you first arrive, then locals may be able to direct you to actual stores.

Enjoy your travels, Di
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 09:17 PM

di stole the words right off my keyboard.

Not that I'm a big user but though it is referrred to as an Australian Sunscreen, seems as that Tennesee mob need to bone up on their geography - maybe a marketing ploy for a US company!

You could ring them here: Telephone:
1-423-926-4413 or 1-800-877-8869
and ask them of their retail outlets in Oz.

But di is right in that chemists here will be the go - probably allow you to do some sample/testing on bubs.
Old Dec 14th, 2008, 11:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Don't know about Blue Lizard, but Banana Boat does a 30+ for babies and I've seen other brands who also do specific sunscreens for children & babies. Most supermarkets & chemists/pharmacies have them, as do a number of small convenience stores. Banana Boat does a roll on, as do some of the others, which I find very convenient.

We also do a superb range of UV resistant clothing for littlies to wear in the water and on the beach.
As others have noted, we're very sun conscious. And visitors need to be too, it often doesn't feel as if you're getting burnt, and overcast days are a particular trap for the unwary.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 01:40 AM

We all wear hats, sun block, rash vests for in the water, and generally cover up. Any pharmacy would be able to sort out the sun screen (sun block here) business. The sun is fierce here.

The Cancer Council shops in the city have a wide range of anti-sun accoutrements.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 04:50 AM

We went to Egypt with our then 7-month old. I bought Clinique sunscreen for her and it worked out very well. After that, my children have always used Water Babies by Coppertone but buy some Clinique and try it on your baby before you go.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. We arrive in Cairns on Christmas day. I will bring him something to use as I'm sure a lot of places are closed that day, but plan on making a stop at the pharmacy to find some good stuff. I do have a rash guard for him as well. I hate the thought of doing any damage to his perfect baby skin!
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 11:25 AM

banana boat,
my kids have grown up in the sun here,
best advice i can give, is not over exposure because aussie sun burns like crazy at this time of year.
stronger then you realise. reflection from water, sand etc etc

Old Dec 15th, 2008, 08:41 PM

MandyK - the website for Cairns Tourism Info is http://www.barrier-reef-holidays.com
You could try sending them an email re what would be open on Christmas Day, but I'm guessing that not much other than airport shops. I live in a high-tourism coastal area further south, and Christmas Day is the one day of the year that everything here closes.

Ruddstar is correct - small doses of sunlight (ie around 20 minutes) is all it takes for your skin to begin to burn. Trouble is, once you notice the skin turning pink it's too late - the damage is already done. While sunscreen offers some protection, it needs to be re-applied every 20 minutes or so to be really effective - especially if your skin isn't used to our level of exposure.

This isn't said to alarm you - I just wouldn't want to see your stay spoiled because you spent tooooo much time in the sun in the first few days, then had to suffer for it!

Happy travels, Di

Old Dec 16th, 2008, 05:25 PM

you can get 4 hour, water-resistant sunscreens - which work!
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 03:30 PM

Can I ask why people feel they have to buy sunscreen in Australia or NZ, instead of bringing some that they've already tested. You can probably find Blue Lizard here, I bought some recently that was made in the USA. I can't remember if I got it at Henry's (health food store) or a drug store (either Long's or CVS). Their website is www.bluelizard.net

I know that even some sunscreens that say "extrasensitive" can still cause reaction. If the skin turns red or tingles when you apply it, then it's probably got a chemical in it that doesn't agree with you.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 06:22 PM

Just a little input: I live in CA but was not prepared for the strength of the Australian sun (in October). My skin is sensitive, but not highly so, and moderately fair. I found my face turning red in just a few minutes from walking around in the cities. I bought an Australian sunscreen and was happy with it, although I was <i>very</i> careful about exposure. All the little Aussie kids wear large floppy hats when on the playground or on field trips. Be extremely careful with your little one!
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 12:08 AM

Author: mlgb
Date: 12/17/2008, 07:30 pm
Can I ask why people feel they have to buy sunscreen in Australia or NZ, instead of bringing some that they've already tested.

Read Mandy's OP fisrt para and you'll understand her thoughts.

Betsy,
Yep it sure does not take long for people to colour up and December is going to up the October danger.

HOT OFF THE NEWS
Mandy,
Cairns is far enough north for there to be mosquito spread diseases such as Ross River and Dengue to mention a couple.

I heard on the news this morning that there had been multiple cases of Dengue Fever reported, first such occurrence of that extent since 2003 so be extra careful with the little fella - they do not know that a buzzing is something to be alarmed about.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 07:27 AM

Yes you're right Bushranger, I was not really reading everything in her paragraph. I guess I would still go down to the drugstore and test everything they have on the chance that Blue Lizard doesn't work as hoped.

Although I do have good luck with it, and it doesn't have chemical sunscreens, it does have quite a list of ingredients as almost all of them do.