Search

Snorkeling in Fiji

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snorkeling in Fiji

We are very avid snorkelers. As a frame of reference we have been to Indonesia (Bunanken, Sulawisi, Wakatobo,etc.), Malayasia(Redang and Prehentian Islands), Thailand (Phi Phi Don, Similans) Great Barrier near Lizard Island) and 14-15 Caribbean Islands including Belize and Roatan). If you have been to Fiji in the past 2 years and any of of the places we have snorkelered at can you give us your assessment of the current vqua;lity of the variety of the healty and variety of hard and soft coral, variety of fish species (we have seen enough rays) and a wide and interesting variety of colorful sea anenomes in depths of 5-10 feet with visibibiltys of 40-50 feet. The resort we are interested in will take us out to reef out croppings so we do not have to rely on of-the-beach snorkeling. It is a long distance to go as many of our trips have been in Asia and we want to be somewhat assured the snorkeling will be comparable to what we have experienced in Asia over the past 4-5 years.
Thanks.
Old May 9th, 2012, 03:27 PM

And what is the resort you are interested in? That would make a big difference as some are good and some not.
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:19 PM

Just got back from the Maldives, Angaga and Mirihi, and this was the best beach snorkelling we have had. Been to Fiji - Bligh Waters, Roatan, Bora Bora and Moorea.
Old May 30th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

We have not made a decision on resort but expect 4+ star and would spend 5 nights @$750-$900/day including tax/service for 2 adults with 2 meals where resort takes snorkelers out vs. off-the-beach to different spots. Require A/C sleeping room and would likely go in May of next year but want to make decision now because wish to coordinate with 5 days in NZ.
Old May 30th, 2012, 03:38 PM

I sure am no expert but I do believe you will not find comparable snorkeling in Fiji taking into account the places you have been. I have been to some of the locations you have been and some different ones including Yap and Palau. Of the places I have been my favorite so far is Raja Ampat.

That said, I have stayed at three small islands in Fiji and been on two local cruises through the Mamanuca and Yasawa island groups. Just over a year ago, I was on a small expedition cruise from Tahiti to Fiji. I was not expecting the snorkeling to be good but was pleasantly surprised by the snorkeling off Taveuni.

Hope this helps a bit.