Should the Fires Prevent Us from Coming?

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Jeanine

Should the Fires Prevent Us from Coming?

We are planning to come to Australia the beginning of March--I hope you have rain by then, but for planning purposes, should this be of concern? Where are the fires? If we are going from Sydney to Melbourne--would this effect my traveling?

Also, can we drive from Sydney to Melbourne--or should we fly over?

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Mina

Jeanine, depends how much time you want to spend driving. It's not a hop skip and a jump. If you have limited days, fly.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 01:26 PM
liz

It has now rained! By March you won't be able to see where the fires were.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Hopefully

Knock wood! ;-)

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 06:35 PM
xxxxx

Try telling that to all those poor souls that have lost everything - and those that will when the next wave of fires comes through - hardly all over Liz.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 06:52 PM
liz

Have some faith - there has been rain and it is only time until there will be more. The original question was " should the fires be of concern to someone coming in March". The answer would have to be NO.
Bye the way xxxxxxx I lost a 100 year old house to fire some years back so I know "exactly" how these people are feeling right now.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Aussie

Jeanine,
Please do not change your plans.
While we have drought & fires in some parts we also have quite a normal year in others.
In Victoria you could head down to South Gippsland where it has been a normal spring, green grass everywhere.
This area has Phillip Island ( Koala's & fairy penguins.) follow the coast around through the most glorious sea veiws at Kilcunda, then on to Wonthaggi & visit the undergroung coal mine. Explore the beaches of Cape Paterson & Inverloch. Then head to Tarwin Lower / Venus bay . Roll on to Cape Liptrap light house followed by the lovely little rocky out crop of Walkerville.
Then down to Wilsons Promotery beautiful long walks through the bush or along the water or climb a mountain for magnifician views of land & sea.
Then up to quant fishing village of Port Albert.
Head inland to Tarra Valley / Bulga Park to the rain forest.(Just out of Yarram.)
All the above are between 1.1/2. to 3 hours drive from Melbourne.
This is only one very small area of Victoria. There are many mnay more area's to explore.
By March even South Gippsland will be dried off.
I would be flying between Sydney & Melbourne.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Peter

Americans are asked the same question regarding fires. Sometimes a fire can be hundreds of miles away and people think the entire state is on fire!