Search

Scenic Areas

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2002, 06:53 PM
chris

Scenic Areas

I am interested in getting comments on a few areas in OZ: Flinders Ranges, Blue Mountains and Snowy River area. Are any a must see-or all? Would it be better to miss one or all to see Tasmania or the Ocean Road or wine region?<BR>Any comments appreciated.<BR>

Old May 12th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Alan

Hi, Chris!<BR>If you have enough time, see ALL of them, as each has its own special charms. If you had to choose a couple, I would say that the time of year you are coming would be the deciding factor: for instance, Tasmania is very cold in July and August, Flinders Ranges would be unbearably hot from November to February, and the Snowy Mountains isn't much at all unless you go in ski season... the range itself is far from spectacular by world standards.<BR>The Ocean Road is a pleasant drive for most of the year, and the Blue Mountains is very easy to get to, as the most scenic areas are only two hours by train from Sydney... but on a rainy/foggy day you might be wasting your time as you won't be able to see much scenery at all. So, my advice is: write back and tell us WHEN you are coming, and then the experts on this forum, such as Liz, will be able to give you some really valuable advice.

Old May 12th, 2002, 06:02 PM
marg

I agree with Alan - so much depends on when you will be in Australia. The Flinders Ranges are particularly beautiful in our spring, but really hot in our summer. The Great Ocean Road is spectacular - as good as Big Sur - but nicer in the summer when you can stop off at some of the little towns and visit the beaches. Let us know when you intend to visit and you will get a better answer.

Old May 13th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Mike

G'day Chris. <BR>As Alan and Marg have already mentioned, to give you good info we need to know what time of the year you will be visiting. <BR>Depending on how you'll be travelling when here the Snowy Mountains and especially as you get into the Vic. High Country can be very spectacular. <BR>Especially if you are also visting the Flinders Ranges and the outback you'll be amazed at the contrasts. <BR>As Marg said, the Great Ocean Road is spectacular, but don't go there during school holidays. Seek out a few of the less known places along the way such as the remnant temperate climate rainforests and allow yourself time. <BR><BR>Let us know when you are planning to visit, and for how long and I'm sure you'll get more info and suggestions. <BR>Cheers, <BR>Mike

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:25 AM
chris

Thanks for the help. <BR>We are planning to be in OZ between late February and early April and have some flexibility around those dates. We are planning a 30 day tour in the middle of those dates.<BR>Thoughts on the train to Perth from Sydney and Perth itself would also be appreciated.

Old May 14th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Alan

Hi, Chris!<BR><BR>In two months, you can do the lot, and, what's more, you've picked a nice time to do it all in. As a general piece of advice, start as far south as you can... say, Tasmania in February,... and work your way north, so that you are at the Barrier Reef in mid-April. <BR>My own feeling is that you should forget Perth, as it's a long way from anywhere, and I hear that its main attraction is that it's a pleasant, laid-back place to live with house prices that are still affordable (but what do you care if there's nothing to see?) Most strongly of all, I would NOT recommend the Indian-Pacific train trip. It takes several days, is extremely expensive, and after the first day you will find there is nothing new to look at: the inland of Australia is just flat and dry, and goes on forever. Save your precious holiday time and use it to do the east coast in style.... and if you must try the Indian Pacific, limit yourself to the Sydney/Broken Hill/Adelaide leg as a way of getting to the Flinders Ranges.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful holiday!

Old May 14th, 2002, 11:51 PM
marg

30 days sounds good. If you can avoid the Easter holidays, it would be helpful as accommodation can be hard to get then. <BR>Perth is a lovely city but you would need to allow three or four days for the train trip and then another day to get back to the east coast. You would get better value out of your time if you spend this holiday on the east coast and perhaps have another holiday on the west coast later.<BR>Flinders Ranges will be hot at this time, but every where else should be OK weatherwise. <BR>If you can get an airpass, you could fly some legs and drive others where the scenery is the best.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 08:34 PM
Melodie

oh, it's always the same, isn't it...so many places...so little time <BR><BR>I've just returned from a travel agent trip to Tasmania, and now it's one of my new favorites. I think this is a "little known secret" of Australia, and one that everyone should check out if they have the time. <BR><BR>Melodie