Search

Reef Endeavor vs Lizard ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Cee
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reef Endeavor vs Lizard ?

Never been to Australia and looking for a great, one-time upscale experience on the Barrier Reef. Trying to decide between 3 days on the Reef Endeavor (or another comparable cruise) or 3 days at Lizard Island resort. Lizard would cost WAY more, but which would give us (family of 4, all adults)the best overall reef experience? Pros and cons, please?
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 02:29 AM

I have never been to Lizard Island. It is probably nice. It you want upscale then it is probably the ticket though in Australia upscale and "great" don't always go hand in hand.

You know...

Sometimes being with the locals provides a "great" experience.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 09:00 AM

I just got back from Lizard. It was very honeymoony (which I was on). We went diving the three full days we were there. There is some great diving being able dive and pet the fish was awesome. The divemasters really take care of the divers. We only brought our goggles and the divemasters pratically put everything on and off us. Saying that, diving is very expansive at LI.

Do you know when you are going, one of the dive masters had recently come from Heron Island and he said for wildlife was the best there but Heron doesn't have the almost year around availability of LI. Heron was too cold in Early May for us.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Cee
Original Poster

We are going end of Oct. By "upscale" I just mean that we are not specifically going with budget in mind. Since we are a family of 4 adults, the honeymoon experience will not apply, so I wanted to know how the Reef Endeavor experience will differ from just staying on one island.With the itinerary of Cairns to Townsend (or reverse)will the cruise see as much of the outer reef as Lizard island? Three of us will snorkel and one will dive.
This will most likely be our only trip to the Barrier Reef, and we want to make it the best.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 01:57 PM

My husband and I took the Reef Endeavor a couple of years ago in March and had a wonderful time. There were quite a few families on board. The snorkeling was wonderful. We don't dive. It's not a luxurious ship, rooms are small, but the experience was great.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 07:38 PM

Hi Cee - Coral Princess does the 3-night Cairns-Townsville (not Townsend) trip in either direction. It also has a 4 night Cairns-Cooktown-Lizard Island trip. I mentioned Reef Endeavour's itinerary on your other posting. Weather should be great in October so either trip would be fine from that point of view, generally speaking the further north you go, the warmer it gets.

It just depends how much snorkelling/diving you want as to whether you take a cruise or stay on Lizard. Obviously, you'd have more actual snorkelling time on Lizard as you could stay in water all day, if you liked. And whether you prefer resorts to cruises.
Make sure you leave yourselves at least a few more days, either before or after your reef trip, to have a look around the nearby mainland - there's a lot to be seen there, as well.

cguest - it might just be you, me and the divemaster but I agree that Heron, lovely as it is, is generally too cold in our winter months. Watch me get howled down!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 05:03 AM

Pat,

I won't say a word but I couldn't believe people were swimming out in Coggee Beach in late May. You Aussies are incredibly hearty compared to this wimpy American

Cee,

LI has two main diving iternary One is a full day dive that goes out to the outer reef. It has two dives each day and goes to a couple of spots but always goes to a place call the Cod Hole. The other is a half day dive to a inner reef. They switch where the dive is every other day. So if there is a full day dive one day, the next will be a half day. Of course, you can walk right off the resort and snorkel all day if you want but the water is not as clear as the outer reef dives. Additionally, LI allows you to rent dinghies and go almost around the entire island to snorkel at other locations.

Hope this helps
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 07:23 PM

Cee - the famous Cod Hole is also visited by other dive boats, not that that is a concern. You might like to check out Tusa's Dive's "Spirit of Freedom" - much smaller than Coral Princess or Reef Endeavour and has just had a re-fit. Whilst the main emphasis is on diving, it also caters to snorkellers. Both Minke whales and giant manta rays are being spotted at the moment at that part of the reef.

cguest - yes, there's always some stalwarts - there's a group of Sydney senior cits. who call themselves the "Bondi Icebergs". The reef operators, even up here in FNQ are recommending the wearing of wet suits right now.