Snorkel vs scuba at GBR?

Jan 26th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Snorkel vs scuba at GBR?

Hi--We are going to be in Cairns in April and do not have diving experience. We have decided against doing a certification course. What is the experience with snorkelling the GBR? Should we do a resort dive or snorkel? Thanks.
Jan 26th, 2006, 01:57 PM

Why not just take trip as a snorkeller and make up your mind on board on the day as to whether you want to do an introductory(resort) dive, there'll still be time for snorkelling as well. You will be required to fill in a medical form. Most boats include diving, both certified and introductory, exceptions are Wavelength out of Port Douglas and one of the Ocean Spirit catamarans to Upolo Cay and Oyster Reef (out of Cairns/Palm Cove).
Jan 26th, 2006, 07:21 PM

Having talked with several friends who have snorkeled the GBR, I suspect you will have a wonderful experience. I certainly hope to when we are there in June ! We were going to go out wiht Wavelength which specializes in snorkelers, but instead have decided to spend the night on a boat (the Reef Encounter) and do 2 days of snorkeling. The only downside is that we won't be able to do the night dive since that is for divers only and neither of us would be able to be medically certified to try scuba. Oh well. We'll sit in the hot tub and look at the stars!
Jan 27th, 2006, 03:57 AM

If the water is only 5 feet deep, why does one need to dive? But if the water is 200 feet deep, then one needs to dive.
Jan 27th, 2006, 07:43 AM
TC

I snorkeled, my husband dived -- we both had a GREAT experience. No need to dive. Its not worth learning to dive in a hurry. You will loved snorkeling on the GBR.
Jan 27th, 2006, 08:40 AM

I did a day trip with Poseidon and did a resort dive.
On the way out to the reef they teach you the basics and THEN you decide if you want to try. Even when you get in the water you have to do 2 skills underwater and let go of a line before you'll get charged, so if you freak out you can just come back up and do snorkeling instead.
Honestly, I'm VERY glad I gave it a go, but I much prefer snorkeling. I stuck with snorkeling for the other 2 sites, though for each I could have done Scuba again.