Help with Barrier Reef

Old Mar 19th, 2003, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Barrier Reef

My fiance and I are thinking of going to the Great Barrier Reef for our honeymoon in late may for 2 weeks. We are seasoned traveler, and have been to Adelaide and Sydney, both amazing trips.

How is the weather in June/July? We are SCUBA divers, so we are definitely interested in diving. Does anyone have suggestions on where to stay, what to do, where to dive? Should we stay on land, or should we look into a charter boat?

I would appreciate any suggestions.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 11:58 AM

My husband and I are SCUBA divers as well and we honeymooned last May in Queensland. We chose to do a liveaboard because many of the great dive sites are quite a distance from the shores of Australia. We decided we didn't want to waste a bunch of time traveling to and from sites when we could be diving!!! Anyway, we were there at the end of May/beginning of June and the weather was fabulous for diving (and everything else but the mountains can get cold!!). We chose a 4 day liveaboard on the Nimrod Explorer and I can't say enough good things about the crew, boat and food. My only complaint is that we didn't do a longer cruise. Definitely don't miss the oportunity to dive as much as you can while you're there. It is some of the best diving in the world in my humble opinion and my husband and I agree that our favorite thing about our trip was the diving. Have a great time! Isn't Australia just the most wonderful place?
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 06:33 PM

May should be perfect diving weather - not too windy/rough and clear and not rainy. I'm not a diver but anywhere on the Great Barrier Reef is terrific. Stay in Cairns or Port Douglas for the closest trip out to the reef. Further south you can stay on Heron Island which has a University of Qld marine biology setup there full time, as well as a nice resort and great dives. There is also Lady Elliot Island where you can stay and dive off the beach. It's motel is more basic than Heron though. If it were my honeymoon, I'd prefer Heron and Port Douglas.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 06:35 PM

June/July even better weather, there are other Island resorts eg Lizard with near-bye dives, but Whitsunday Islands are a fair way to travel by boat or amphibious plane to the reef.
Old Apr 1st, 2003, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for suggestions!