Search

2 full days in Cairns

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2015, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 full days in Cairns

My wife and I, in our 70's, want to take a full day tour of Daintree one day and see the Barrier Reef the second. Any recommendations for tour companies? We do not snorkel so would a half day cruise to Green Island give us a good overview of the reef?

One more question: Is the train to Kuranda on the railway and then the trip via Skyrail a better way to see the rainforest than a Daintree & Cape Tribulation tour? It's all very confusing.
Old Aug 31st, 2015, 09:25 AM

1. A half-day cruise to Green Island is not going to give you a good overview of the Reef. The coral at Green Island is reportedly in bad condition and you won't find as much sealife in this area as opposed to the Outer Reef. If you don't want to snorkel, I would recommnd taking Reef Magic out of Cairns. It goes to a fixed platform on the Outer Reef and offers many ways to see the GBR without getting wet--glass bottom boat rides, semi-submersible rides and an underwater viewing platform. And, BTW, if you can swim, you can snorkel. There is a sheltered coral lagoon where you can snorkel and they provide flotation devices if you want them. Consider giving it a try. http://www.reefmagiccruises.com/

2. I've been to Kuranda and Daintree each twice. The Skyrail is pretty fun, but you will have a better rainforest experience by taking a tour to Daintree and Cape Trib.
Old Aug 31st, 2015, 10:11 AM

A helicopter tour is another possibility for viewing the reef. We did that in conjunction with snorkeling.
Old Aug 31st, 2015, 04:45 PM

Agree with Longhorn. Green Island is a pretty poor example of what the reef has to offer. Go with one of the operators to the outer reef.
Old Sep 1st, 2015, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, so much. I'll check out ReefMagic. This is what makes Fodors forums so great.