Port Stephens

Jun 11th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Port Stephens

Hi all, I am trying to choose somewhere to stay in Port Stephens and having troble choosing where. I didn't realise there were so many different bay areas to choose from.

Has anyone any advice on where to stop? Nelson Bay, Salamander Bay, or any of the other 6,000 bays???

We want to do a day cruise to see the dolphins if that helps.

many thanks
Jun 11th, 2004, 12:36 PM

Hi Lina88,

Yes I know Port Stephens very well indeed.

Since you are wanting to go dolphin watching the best pla ce to stay is in Nelson Bay. The dolphin watch cruises last about 2 hours. There are several cruise operators the biggest one is the Moon Shadow cruises Moonshadow V comes complete with underwater cameras.
I personally like the Spirit Of The Bay, it is a smaller craft but it can go where the bigger boats cannot go.

There are quite a few accommodation choices in Nelson Bay, the newest is the Landmark Resort, I have eaten at the Port O Call restaurant on a few occasions and found it to be quite nice.

If you would like some more detailed info just ask.

Cheers

Paul_S
Jun 11th, 2004, 07:31 PM

We've had a few stays at The Anchorage (sometimes known as Peppers Anchorage) at Corlette (5 mins from Nelson Bay)- it is a 4 star place with beach access, a fab restaurant called Merritts-check out www.wotif.com.au for standby rates. There is nothing like it in Nelson Bay. You could arrange a taxi to/from the wharf to get your Dolphin cruise. We've paid around 150-220 per night but sometimes it is discounted if there is nothing happening at the bay e.g. fishing contest, wine & food festival, school holidays. Dutchies Beach is my favourite for a dip-maybe a trifle cool at the moment but if you're here after October-bring those cossies!!
Jun 11th, 2004, 10:11 PM

Its quaint and old fashioned but the shoal bay country club is hard to beat.

If you have time take the boat out to Broughton island.

If you like dolphins do the dolphin sea kayak at Byron.
Jun 12th, 2004, 02:42 AM

Hi John,

The quaint and old fashioned Shoal Bay Country Club ceased to exist a few years ago now. The place is now a very upmarket resort, you would not recognise it they are now in the process of rebuilding the beer garden and pub on the corner. Below is the link to the new resort built on the site of the old Country Club:

http://shoalbayresort.com.au/welcome.cfm

The link for the Landmark Resort in Nelson Bay is:

http://www.dunesnet.com/landmark/default.htm

I am assuming that you wwish to be within walking disance of the Dolphin Cruise departure point so that would make the Landmark my pick for the better end of the accommodation in Nelson Bay. However if you are okay with 3 and a half star accommodation then the Nelson Towers is directly across from the d'Albora Marina where most of the dolphin cruises leave from. The linkfor this motel is:

http://www.wotif.com/Nelson-Towers-Motel.html

The added attraction for Nelson Towers is that it is in the main CBD beachfront area and so you have immediate access to some of the Ports very best restaurants.

Jun 12th, 2004, 09:33 PM

I have never been but....

Saw an add in the paper today that seemed like a bargain to me.

Port Stephens Marina Resort, Nelson Bay...from $419.00 for two people including two nights ocean view room, breakfast, dinner one night, whale watching tour and a bottle of port.

I am thinking of this myself now! If anyone can comment about this package please, would love to hear comments.

Though the word "from" is a bit of a worry.
Jun 13th, 2004, 03:57 AM

Hi Jane,

The Marina Resort is okay it is located up on Magnus Street, the name suggests that it is on the waterfront but this is not the case. It does look over the bay but that is as close as you will get. Still not a bad package all the same.

My family and I used to live in a house that used to sit on the land that the Marina Resort now stands on.

Cheers

Paul_S
Jun 14th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your advice. I am gonna have a look at the Landmark, Anchorage and Shoal bay and see what they are like before deciding. Glad i've managed to whittle it down to Nelson bay though now!!

My partner loves dolphins so i think the sea kayak idea is a good one. I did one over in Broome and it was excellent.

Thanks again.
Jun 14th, 2004, 09:54 PM

Hi Lina,

I forgot to mention that there are sea kayak tours that leave from the public wharf area in Nelson Bay. You can quite readily see the dolphins from just about any location in Nelson bay as they quite often come in very close to the breakwater to feed.

Cheers

Paul_S
Jun 14th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Paul, my partner is gonna love it by the sounds of things. I think we are gonna book up the Landmark, has 2 bed apts and I'm gonna try and do it last minute if possible because we only need one nights accom.

Many thanks, Lina
Jun 15th, 2004, 03:00 AM

Hi Lina,

If you are going to be there on a dy/night anywhere between Wednesday through Saturday, then I highly recommend the dinner cruise on the Moonshadow V especially if you are there during the summer months as they do a superb job. My wife and I do the dinner cruise regularly and it is just magic with the sun setting in the west and the golden sunsets being reflected off the water with the dolphins surfacing close by.

Cheers

Paul_S