Please Help with Gift Selection

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, My family will be visiting an old friend in Sydney at the end of the month. He has invited us over to his home for dinner and spend the night. We certainly don't want to show up empty handed! Any suggestions on US gifts to bring? Thanks.

Old Jul 18th, 2009, 11:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
What about a bottle of your favourite wine from the US?
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 02:10 AM

We have stores here run by Australia Geographic and they are pretty good re lots of Australiana type gear so if you have similar stores in US it could be worth considering what they may have.

And take into account what kind of guy your friend is, like is he a history buff or into technology?
If so, are they doing any special mementos re the 40th anniversary of the moon landing?
Or if he takes an interest in the US, I'm sure you could come up with something of historical interest via books etc., and then it's something that'll remind of your visit and friendship.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 03:52 AM

Don't bring food if you can avoid it or it will be a pain to bring in through customs and immigration (if they let it in at all - many types of food get confiscated). Wine / alcohol is OK. One of my cousins from Europe once brought us a calendar with pictures of his local area and that was nice and easy for him to pack. He also brought a bottle of the local fire water. Another visitor from Germany brought me a mug with architecture from her home town depicted on it and a packet of chocolate-scented bath salts (which you can't get here). I guess none of these are terribly exciting but I liked and appreciated them. It doesn't have to be much, just a token, really. And yes, if you are looking for souvenirs to take back to the US, I second the idea of the Australian Geographic stores. I don't imagine you have anything like these, they are quite unique.

Lavandula
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 05:04 AM

Food is OK as long as you follow the custom guidelines, a Canadian visitor just gave me a pack containing delicious biscuits, a Canadian tea, maple syrup, liquer chocolates, and a rather nice Sakatoon berry jam. No trouble with customs at all, just make sure you declare it.
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 08:20 AM

It's all here, from earlier this year: http://tinyurl.com/nc9feg
Old Jul 19th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input.

And Vic, thanks for the link. It was very helpful.
Old Jul 20th, 2009, 08:36 PM

We Aussies have just been given some lovely gifts from Chicago - a great carry bag with a Chicago street-scene from Saturday Evening Post, a Chicago mouse pad, mug and cap. Love them all! I'll proudly use my Chicago bag for many years to come!