gifts for Australian friends

Old May 14th, 2002, 09:52 AM
Judy

gifts for Australian friends

I am going to Australia on Thursday and am wondering about some small gifts for my friends there. Are pistachios and pecans common in Australia? How about Jelly Belly jelly beans? Any suggestions from you Aussies about what you would like from the US that won't take a lot of room and travels well? Thanks!

Old May 14th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Linda

Hi Judy, I've recently returned from Australia to the US. Be aware that customs/immigration is very fussy re anything agricultural that might affect the health of their ag. economy. I had to turn over plus be lectured on the Planter's Dry Roasted peanuts I brought in (I had put them in a baggie to cut the weight, maybe an unopened jar would have been ok). Then returning there from a side trip to Bali, I had to give up some arty notebooks made from banana
leaves. Maybe some Aussies will reply
with what's ok to bring in. Or maybe there's an immigration/customs site that will spell it out. Have a great time, it's a great place.

Old May 14th, 2002, 03:58 PM
Mary

No nuts allowed - sorry! And we grow pecans and pistachios here anyway! Customs are really strict about any sort of plant material or produce etc. Jelly belly jelly beans are available. I'm afraid that without knowing your friends I can't suggest anything!

Old May 14th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Alan

Hi, Judy!
Well, I'd like one of the Remington statues, but I guess the weight restrictions would beat me! How about a set of place mats with American art (maybe Native American) on them... or just American scenes?

Old May 14th, 2002, 11:56 PM
marg

Well, if you are bringing Alan a Remington, please bring one for me too.
Don't bring in food as customs regulations are very strict.
What about some posters from your beautiful national parks, or some souvenir coffee mugs from your home town.
Incidentally, you can buy alcohol on arrival in Australia and prices are generally good, particularly with the current exchange rate. If your friends like an evening drink, this could be your answer.

Old May 15th, 2002, 07:11 AM
Judy

Thanks so much to all of you for your suggestions. I will scratach the nuts and jelly beans, look for something in the way of American arts, maybe a nice coffee table book. I'm used to being careful about what I bring back to the US from other countries, but it probably wouldn't have occurred to me that US produce might not be welcome everywhere! (Yep, I know--typical US-centric perspective. Ouch!)

Sorry about the Remington statue, Alan and Marg. But place mats and Native American art, I can do. (I live in the West--there are lots of things!)

Thanks again.

Old May 16th, 2002, 06:49 AM
sue

Hi Judy,
Last year my mum bought gifts back from her US holiday, we all got those outdoor weather/temperature barometers.
You can hang them on a wall outside and there are some very pretty designs, mine has robins on it. All our friends comment on it and I have never seen one the same in our shops.
Considering how much time we spend out the back barbecueing & entertaining, they are a great idea.

Old May 16th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Judy

Thanks, Sue, that's a great idea. I can make a stop on my way to the airport. And then I'm off this evening for my great adventure "down under."