Search

Australian Customs - Contact Lens Solutions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 07:55 PM
sv
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Australian Customs - Contact Lens Solutions

Are contact lens solutions allowed through Australian Customs? Heard that prescription medicines are also not allowed?
Kindly throw light on this
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 08:15 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes - why wouldn't they be?

I've never had a problem getting my prescription meds through Customs in any country I've visited, including Australia. I can't imagine why they'd give you trouble unless you've got a large amount of a controlled substance.

Australian Customs are very strict when it comes to food, wood products, etc. Suggest you take a look at this site for details:

www.customs.gov.au/
Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 08:30 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Seems I might have spoken too soon -

I just took a look at the site I posted and it states the following:

Declare all medicinal products.

It is advisable to have a letter or a prescription from your doctor or practitioner describing the medication and your medical condition.

Some medicinal products may require an import permit or quarantine (Agriculture) clearance. Ensure that you have obtained an import permit for products containing prohibited substances.

Importation of many drugs described as performance enhancing drugs in sport is prohibited without a permit.

Check quarantine (Agriculture) and protected wildlife restrictions and requirements.

Personally, I've never had a letter from a doctor for my prescription medicines and as far as I know, none of them would be considered prohibited substances.

If you have specific questions, suggest you contact the Customs office directly - the website provides contact info.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 12:16 AM

Hi SV
There is a difference between being asked to declare something and it not being allowed. As far as I am aware(I have checked with an orthopitist) contact solutions are not 'prescription only' so will not be a problem. I always declare anything that I have the slightest doubt about. Often the que for the 'something to declare' people is the shortest anyway.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 01:01 AM

sv, who gave you that advice? No offence, but it's always a good idea to go to the horse's mouth, in this case the Australian Customs website, in the first instance. Especially as the advice regarding prescription medicines is, to put it bluntly, inherently absurd.

Like Melnq8 I've never had a problem bringing prescription medicines into any country I've visited. No customs declaration form I've ever seen has asked me to declare them, and no customs officer has ever shown the slightest interest in them. I've never bothered to bring original prescriptions with me. Customs people do understand that most people travel with medications of one kind or another and if, like me, you have an honest face, you'll breeze through.

And yes, why on earth wouldn't contact lens solution be allowed in? If the worst came to the worst, be assured that you can buy the stuff here.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 01:45 AM
sv
Original Poster

I had sent a mail to the Customs regarding this - no reply recd so far.
I would assume Contact Lens solutions to be permissible ; but just in case they have strange laws there.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 02:49 PM

sv, you did the right thing emailing Customs if the situation isn't clear from their website.

In general we tend to think that it's the US that has strange laws

Old Oct 24th, 2007, 07:46 PM

A few years ago, when prescription medicines were available at a fairly low price in Australia, it was thought some people were abusing the system by taking Qantas loads of blood pressure pills and expensive drugs to overseas relatives. This became such a problem apparently, that our government tightened up supply of medications and made it an offence to take National Health supplied drugs out of the country, apart from those for personal supply. That said, like Neil, we've never been asked for proof , but usually take a doctor's letter or chemist-supplied inventory anyway.

As for the contact lens solution, I think it would be the quantity of the bottle taken on as carry on luggage that may be the only problem- 100ml (4fl oz) is the allowable amount of a liquid, and has to be with other liquids in a ziptop 1 litre plastic bag to show customs easily.
Old Oct 24th, 2007, 10:17 PM

Interesting point, Carrabella. Australian prescription drug prices bought under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme are still a lot less expensive than in the US, but of course sv isn't planning to take them out of the country.

My recollection is that one is not asked to declare such medicines on the official customs form. That being the case I've always assumed that Customs has no interest in them.

The only exception I can imagine is if they suspected that the capsules or whatever may contain something other than the labelled contents, but I would think that you'd have to arouse suspicion in some other way for this to happen (e.g. look and act unusually dodgy).

Yes, to be on the safe side sv could bring the original scripts, but personally I've never bothered, and I don't intend to in future.
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 06:06 AM
WMR

We put prescriptions in clear plastic bag (a la current TSA reg.s, though this was before that time) in carry-on, then whipped the bag out when going through customs in Sydney. One quick glance at the labels through the plastic and confirmation of what they were and we were on our way, no problem.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 03:48 PM

Be aware of the 100ml of fluid in hand luggage rule. Even with contact solution I would be surprised if you got through with a bag in excess of 100ml. With regards to prescription items I always leave them in the original packaging with the pharmacy label in tact stating what they are and my name etc. As long as customs can identify the items as legit I'm sure you won't have a problem as per WMR experiences.
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 12:20 PM

Hi, we just got back from a wonderful 5 week trip in Oz (and will post a trip report soon). What I did with my prescriptions which come from a mail-away company in large bottles that I didn't want to carry around--I photocopied the label and put them on smaller containers. No problems. We also had our "quart sized zip lock bag" of liquids smaller than 3 oz. already set from US travel in carry on and other liquids and gels, etc. in the checked bags (including contact solution) and had absolutely no problems. BTW, they took my tweezers in Cairns AFTER going through Seattle and Los Angeles and Sydney security. Who'd of thunk it that Cairns would be stiffer than the "big cities". And she was a sweet white haired English lady looking person, too, and sweetly took my tweezers for being too sharp!! So pack up your stuff and don't worry, sv, they have "chemists" and pharmacies in Oz, too, and they are available everywhere.
Sally in Seattle, where the autumn gloom is not anywhere near as enjoyable as the Oz spring sunshine