Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Australia & the Pacific
Reload this Page >

affordable luxury w/ activities for honeymoon - where in the Cooks or nearby islands?

affordable luxury w/ activities for honeymoon - where in the Cooks or nearby islands?

Nov 3rd, 2007, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

i am just beginning to familiarize myself with the MANY islands to choose from...overwhelming!

we are looking for a 10-14 day trip - on beach, bungalow, would LOVE a private plunge pool, snorkeling, beginner surfing, privacy + quiet.

tahiti + other FP islands are too $$$. would like to spend maybe $200-300/nite

thank you - any help would be appreciated
Nov 3rd, 2007, 10:11 PM

I would suggest a few days in the Cooks and a few days in Samoa. The Cooks probably has the best lagoons in the South Pacific, while Samoa is the real deal South Pacific with many accommodation options, bungalows, resorts etc. and the opportunity to visit American Samoa for bargain black pearls and delicious coconut crabs!
Nov 4th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

thank you! any specific recomendations for cooks or samoa?
Nov 4th, 2007, 08:48 AM

Normal excursions to the Cooks are 3-4 nights on Rarotonga and 3-4 nights on Aitutaki, for a taste of very laid back south pacific island life.
Rarotonga the more developed with many lodging options. It is larger with more people and a "shopping center". Many restaurants to choose from and many lodgings feature kithens and barbques on the property.
Aitutaki is about 40 min flight north, you can leave some luggage on Raro, cause the planes are small. Aitutaki is very laid back. Take a lagoon cruise with one of the many providers. Your hotel can fix you up on that.
The Cooks are generally regarded as the bargains of the south Pacific. Snorkeling at both islands is world class. We have been to the south pacific many times, and would rank Cooks high on the value for $$$ list.
Nov 4th, 2007, 01:45 PM

In Samoa, Aggie Greys relatively new beach resort gets good reviews although I prefer to stay at the original Aggie Greys (no beach) as I usually go there on business. Coconuts Beach Club on the far side of the Island is also very good and there are various bungalow type options available.
http://www.aggiegreys.com/resort/resort.htm